The E-cumbent - A project by Matt Shumaker

recumpence said:
My bike is in no way unsafe to operate. It exibits no ill handling what-so-ever. However, it is definitely letting me know 40mph is enough.
I'm kind of in a territory as far as speed where most bikes fear to tread anyway... so my case is unique. However, all this power with these RC motors or even the older conventional "Big Iron" hub motors makes the option of higher speeds than normal possible. In some ways the fact that I'm "allowing" such speeds to be rideable might be something people might complain about, it makes it "normal" and "okay". On most bikes 40 mph is "enough" (it's where the fear sinks in) but on my bike it just tells me... more... more... more... :D

But I'm also riding with full leathers and a helmet all the time, so most bicyclists would need that to risk speeds above 40 mph anyway.

Electric power opens a door onto a different world than conventional bikes...

Where the speed really opens up doors is covering distances once considered huge by bicycle standards. It is strange going 8 miles in little more than 10 or 11 minutes, then pedalling around enjoying myself, and motoring home again at 40mph. :mrgreen:

Matt

Been doing some checking around. For the same price you could get 12s 6ah Enerland 25C packs or 12s 10.6ah 16C packs for $1000 Totally overkill on the discharge rate, but they would be matched cells that would last forever. 12s1p for both pack types.

As you know TrueRC packs of 8ah 10C discharge would be about $440. This would be using 12s2p construction.

All retail pricing.

If you are willing to gamble on an unknown factory and matching-- http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7639&Product_Name=ZIPPY_5000mAh_6S1P_15C_

Four of these packs is just a hair over $300.

Wow, for that price, maybe I should order one and cycle it a few times to see what the actual capacity is.

Sheesh, I could do a 48 volt 40 AH pack for $1200! Man, that would take me close to 100 miles of the capacity is correct! :mrgreen:

Matt

I (we) just got back from a 10 mile ride. I took my two boys (10 and 5) in the Burley trailer. I did a small amount of pedalling. But, it was mostly an E-ride on very hilly roads. We averaged about 14 mph or so. My wh per mile was 22. So, for the 3 of us, we averaged about 7 Wh per mile per person. :wink:

Matt

Something else you might want to consider is putting a second sprocket (freewheeling) on the output of the motor or gear reduction. Then run one chain from the motor to the rear sprockets instead of running it to the front crank. Then run a second chain from your front crank to the freewheeling sprocket on the motor instead of to the rear sprockets. This would eliminate the motor from turning the crank. This would require a slightly more complex drive unit but would require no changes to the bike gearing (except changing sprocket sizes). If you do this correctly (mostly gear ratios) this can be a very elegant solution. I test rode an ebike set up this way and it was almost silent and even though it only has a 500w motor performance was pretty good (climbs a 25% grade) as long as I was in the correct gear for a good cadence. .7:1 gearbox its the equivalent to a kv of about 70. If the Nue 2200 Series is too long a 1900 Series with a 6.7:1 gearbox might work well [b said:
if the gearboxes (P32) [/b] sold for that motor are strong enough.

Perhaps Matt could consider building/offering an alternative to the cyclone dual freewheel unit

KMX-900%7E1200R-a.jpg

Savannah-e-recumbent-c.jpg

On a trike that I am adding motors to, one is on the mid drive split chain as in the above photos (+ dual freewheels, no crank turning), the other is a direct drive style Matt S. is using, the motors I am using are small, so direct drive is for flat ground, through the gears for hill climbing, should always have 1 motor to help to get home on.

Hey Guys,

I am selling the Plettenberg Terminator motor from my recumbent. I am working on a different layout of a new drive for it. Wait till you see the new setup!

Anyway, I am selling it for $600! Or I will take $750 with the HV110 controller. This is a $1,100 motor..........

Shoot me a PM if you are interested. :)

Matt

Hey Guys,

I am selling the Plettenberg Terminator motor from my recumbent. I am working on a different layout of a new drive for it. Wait till you see the new setup!

Anyway, I am selling it for $600! Or I will take $750 with the HV110 controller. This is a $1,100 motor..........

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Matt
That's a killer price! if I had the $. For info this are the motor used in the 56 000€ ebike from PG-bike. A very very good motor ;)
Gruß,
H.

I haven't read through all 33 pages, yet but I've been looking for you, Matt! I came across your original website showing the fabrication of the ebent and was way envious. It's cool that you're on this forum. You have some definite skill! The ride looks great! I hope things are going well for you. I'll continue reading the thread.

I'm a bent rider too. No power though,

4591318440_f79b41bc26.jpg

Back