Turnigy multistar vs. Samsung 25R

riba2233 said:
neptronix said:
The next generation of 18650's from the big companies will probably blow away the multistars. That's when i'd be willing to make the switch.

P.S. i cannot find a cell spec sheet or discharge graph for the LG H2. Can you link me to one?

Next generation? You mean current? Like Samsung 30Q and LG HG2? Same current as 25R/HE2 but 3000 mah. So, are you going to use them now? :mrgreen: :wink:
This pic was posted over a year ago and it showed the now released 32E and not long after it the 35E.
I am convinced the major brand cell manufactures design and sell their cells just like how they sell their next gen TVs etc, they make a major new design then spend the next 5 years uping the specs with easy tweaks that are practically ready to go from day one. And as the competition moves up they release their comparative version.
Just like when LCD TVs started off with contrast ratios of 1000:1 then 5000:1 then 50,000:1 then eventually 1,000,000:1 and its probably not much more then a resister change here and few more backlight LEDS for each new model.
Its just so important for them to have something new for the next year.

I think Samsung suddenly jumped from 32E to 35E faster then they probably planed but had to because others were popping up with 3500mah cells.
I would bet they all have 5000mah 18650s practically ready to go but there's still a lot of money to be made first from the 3500mah for the time being.
samsung_ebike_battery_cell-e1417051951853.jpg

Yeah, there was a lot of stagnation in the industry for a long time.. now it seems like they are releasing things like Intel is - they have a map and a schedule. Seems like every year or every 6 months, we see improvement now.

I think that innovations in the materials buy from other manufacturers may have something to do with the fact that all these companies release a new generation roughly in sync with each other.

If hobbyking is beat by the big cell companies next time around, i'll have to swing in the 18650 direction and not wait. But hobbyking did beat the release of a high power, high energy cell by almost a year this time. That's pretty amazing for a smaller company with way less resources.

You haven't read what I've said at all. Okashira's tests are at very high charge rate, and that's a cell killer (even at "lower rate", 0.3C is max if you want decent cycle life)! Those graphs don't represent realistic usage.

And yeah, they perform same as 25R and HG2, I'm not saying that without a reason. Look at 20A comparison (click view image to see the whole picture):

592-20A.png

They have same chemistry as 25R, and they will have same cycle and calendar life performance, I'm 99% sure about that.

Datasheet states worst case, because those cells are probably used for some power tools, where they are basically abused. But in EV usage, things will be much better. Same case applies to 30Q, 25R, and Tesla cells (why didn't you comment on their lousy performance on okashira's tests?).

And BTW what's lifepo4 voltage at 8C? Is it still 3.2 V? Or more like 2.5-2.7 V ? lol

neptronix said:
If hobbyking is beat by the big cell companies next time around, i'll have to swing in the 18650 direction and not wait. But hobbyking did beat the release of a high power, high energy cell by almost a year this time. That's pretty amazing for a smaller company with way less resources.

It didn't actually, samsung 25R has better nominal energy density, and it's from oct. 2013. And even if they did, you can't compare those two, because one are toy cells without any regulations to follow, and with much lower cycle life.

TheBeastie said:
This pic was posted over a year ago and it showed the now released 32E and not long after it the 35E.
I am convinced the major brand cell manufactures design and sell their cells just like how they sell their next gen TVs etc, they make a major new design then spend the next 5 years uping the specs with easy tweaks that are practically ready to go from day one. And as the competition moves up they release their comparative version.
Just like when LCD TVs started off with contrast ratios of 1000:1 then 5000:1 then 50,000:1 then eventually 1,000,000:1 and its probably not much more then a resister change here and few more backlight LEDS for each new model.
Its just so important for them to have something new for the next year.

I think Samsung suddenly jumped from 32E to 35E faster then they probably planed but had to because others were popping up with 3500mah cells.
I would bet they all have 5000mah 18650s practically ready to go but there's still a lot of money to be made first from the 3500mah for the time being.

I don't agree, I think that they are actually developing new chemistries, making new experiments, etc. If someone released cell with bigger capacity earlier, they would have large profit. Intel can do that because it has no competition, while in 18650 world competition is strong, LG, Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic, Sony, all of them are very competitive on the market.

Back