Which are the worst cells in the format: 18650, 20650 and 21700 that you have encountered?

leffex

1 kW
Which are the worst cells in the format: 18650, 20650 and 21700 that you have encountered?

In many years that I have walked this earth there have been a few cells that I have come to encounter in my work and my projects.

Samsung 26F and its friends was the first cell that I abused. It came to be that I pushed more power than it was capable of maybe 5x (Discharge 6C I think). It got hot and spewed out heat and liquid and I had to take it down.

Sony V3 was another cell that I came to wonder about but the capacity of the cell was its achilles heel and it really did never have any application for any of my projects. This cell together with the Samsung 26F and Panasonic CGR was behaving odd in some packs I came across. Maybe it was the configuration of 3P that made this happen or the general uneven heat in a battery pack. At least that is my hypothesis going forward.

My cells death list is the following:
LG M26
China green noname INR18650S
LG MG1
Samsung 30Q

I will never use the following cells in projects:
All cells below 2700mah and all Chinese noname 18650 cells

??? - The 30Q is well respected just about everywhere in everything.
I just have had bad experience and I have read some stories in these forum and I trust them for it as well as real hard test here in the Battery forum specific to this cell and some odd events occurred.

Back