la Nina rears her ugly head

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 60. Breezy, with a light and variable wind becoming east 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. Windy, with an east wind 25 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Windy, with an east wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 25 to 30 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph.
Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. Windy, with an east wind 25 to 30 mph becoming light southeast. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Thursday
A slight chance of showers before 10am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49.
Friday
A slight chance of showers after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.
Friday Night
A chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Saturday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41.
Sunday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 53.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Monday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 52.

It reached 80F at my house yesterday. Normal would be around 55. Great day to get out for a ride. The soil is dry again, so a lot like summer riding. A lot of wind today and they're talking about fire danger again.

We need more rain.

Valle Vista (SCE967) 36 MPH 0130 PM 01/19 33.76N/116.91W/1688
Snow falling on top of Mt. San Jacinto visible here in the valley today. Some precipitation as rain may spill over the Santa Rosa Mountains from the southeast. Wind out of the NNE much cooler than yesterday.
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G17&sector=psw&band=07&length=24

Early this morning before I got up, we got aobut a tenth of an inch in my area of the valley, less or more in others, some none at all. Enough to leave some decent puddles and turn the dirt areas of the backyard to mud, and the grassy areas to slick squishy surfaces, none of which the heavy trike's smaller back wheels go thru very well. :( And enough to turn Jelly (the smallest of the dogs, if "small" can be applied to any of them) into WetSponge. :(

Some misting while I was on my way to work before 930am, but no further rain for the day, and cleared enough to see tiny patches of sky here and there by late afternoon. Been cloudier since then, though I could see the shape of the moon thru the clouds as it was near setting a while ago.

Was windy and gusty earlier (15-20mph) but now, despite the forecast claiming that would continue overnight, it's dead calm out there, and around 65F.

Supposed to rain harder tomorrow night (80% chance), and maybe tomorrow day (30%), up to a quarter inch, same gusty winds.

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
:twisted:
Patchy fog with snow still falling on the mountain peaks of Mt. San Antonio, Mt. San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Jacinto. Windy but visibility is excellent and colder through the week. Best chance for rain now on Monday and Tuesday.

Detailed Forecast
Today
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 58. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tonight
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Saturday
Showers likely, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday
A chance of showers after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 53. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday Night
Showers, mainly after 10pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Monday
Showers likely. The rain could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Monday Night
A chance of rain showers before 10pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.
Tuesday
A chance of rain and snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 49.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.
Wednesday
A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 53.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 57.

Here it comes:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9I-OWSh5Wc&feature=youtu.be

amberwolf said:
Early this morning before I got up, we got aobut a tenth of an inch in my area of the valley. . . .

I assume that was OUR rain that the wind blew inland with us barely getting a drizzle of it.

Seeded the lawn in anticipation of at least a little rain. It used to be you could seed from October through March. Now it's like late January, early February. Even then the air might be too dry, as with right now.

Post Jan 23 2021 3:42am

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
***************************************************************************** :D
Through 11:15 am today:
SDHET HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.02 2050
Much more on the way, some spots could get a whole season’s worth from the series of storms.

Socal is having the first of what the prognosticators are saying four storms this week. Drizzling on and off today and doubt it'll amount to 0.5", but it's better than nothing. Cooled down from 80 earlier in the week to <60.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G17&sector=psw&band=07&length=24
Even the satellite view looks cold. :oops:

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=sgx&issuedby=SGX&product=RER

More than half an inch of rain in my area in the last couple days, most of it today in a couple of storms (which I thankfully didn't have to ride thru). Tomorrow will be up to at least taht much more. Is also cold, was down to 45F when I left work just after 6pm, predicted to stay there overnight (I think it will get colder...but you never know).

About another 0.1" here. No riding today.

They're predicting a pretty good one Tuesday night into Wednesday. Moderate atmospheric river event should be the first heavy rain of the season. Burn areas are on alert for mudslides.

I'm just hoping the rain will pause for me long enough to get to work in the morning, and then again when I go home. (I can wait some time for a pause in it after work to go home, but not so much getting to work in the first place).

I used to like riding in the rain, and sometiems I still do, but as I age my body tolerates the weather change itself less well every day, and even the motorcycle rain gear I use isn't perfect, and I can still get drenched under it with the wrong conditions. Plus when it rains this much, sometimes it all happens in a few minutes, and then we get foot-deep lakes in the poor-drainage areas of which there are several between work and home.... :/ The bottom of the trike is not a foot off the ground, so all the electrics get submerged in those cases, *and* you can't even see where the sidewalk edges are, or road potholes, or debris, etc. If I didn't know the entire path and all it's variations like the back of my hand, I wouldn't safely be able to ride until the water went down.

La Niña Rain Gage
****************************************************************************************** :mrgreen:

60DADF44-3723-47C7-84E1-E1BE93C551D5.jpeg
Snowing here this afternoon! 8)

Attachments

• ACE24AF3-CB84-4E65-B294-18BC1A94B8AC.jpeg
    ACE24AF3-CB84-4E65-B294-18BC1A94B8AC.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 382
  • 78C9239B-162E-49D1-9B70-E6E760037E03.jpeg
    78C9239B-162E-49D1-9B70-E6E760037E03.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 382
  • 71577060-D4F7-4C7A-88EE-E71540635EF9.jpeg
    71577060-D4F7-4C7A-88EE-E71540635EF9.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 382
  • CF4967FD-2FF3-4EAF-9B42-5473B46FD343.jpeg
    CF4967FD-2FF3-4EAF-9B42-5473B46FD343.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 382
I don't know if you caught it but there was reference to the possibility of over a years' worth of rain in the next few months. For that we'd have rain every day, and it would be as cold as the last few days for way too long.

Been raining at least a sprinkle or a drizzle for most of the day, since perhaps 3-4am. Is doing a heavy drizzle now, and some distant thunder now and then.

Been a few short periods of nothing, and an hour or so late afternoon when it actually got partly sunny, but that was after a major storm, which included gusty high winds and something that caused power flickers (almost outages, but not long enough to do more than reboot or shut off computer based systems and such at worst, eitehr at work or at home--dunno about elswhere in the valley yet). But the flickers weren't caused by local lightning, as would usually be the cause (thunder at same instant as the flicker, typically). Rain during the storm wasnt' super heavy but it was enough for a few moments here and there to be unable to see the buildings out in the parking lot in front of the store, or the cars near them.

There were numerous collisions throughout the day in the area, loud enough to be heard inside the building, with occasional sirens. When the lights started flickering, there was a really loud screech and bang, then bangbangbangbangbang etc. I didn't see it, but I assume the traffic lights didn't operate as normal, perhaps all went off for a moment, and since people don't go when they see green, they just stop (sometimes) when they see red, then if there were no lights, they would just go since "well, it wasn't red!!!". Then after the first collision, others unable to see clearly thru the rain, but naturally driving *faster* than under dry conditions (because if you drive faster you might get between the drops and stay dry....), they probably rammed the initial colliders, then others rammed them, and so on. It was all cleaned up by the time I left work for the day maybe four or five hours later, except all the bits of plastic and stuff scattered all over the intersection.

Regarding rain, I was lucky; both my ride to and from work narrowly avoided some serious downpours. One happened right before I left home this morning, and was continuing north of here at the time. Another was happening as I left work this evening, on the east side of Metrocenter (I ride home on the west side); I could see the rain over the mall itself, but thankfully it didn't come my way until I was past it, so I had dry rides both ways. Was still cold enough I had to be bundled up under the rain gear, and my gloves were not enough even with the wind deflectors on the handlebar grip areas; my fingers were numb at the end of each ride, as were my nose and ears.

Jelly appears to have stayed outside in it all day long, and despite her built-in scotchgard ;) is soaked all the way to her skin (this never happens...it is actually very very hard to give her a bath because I have to force the water and soap down in there, takes like 3 hours to bathe her). Kirin is damp all over but not under the fur; she just kept going out there to see if I was home yet, according to my brother. Yogi stayed inside all day cuz he knows rain means storms which means lightning whcih means thunder whcih is eeeevilll and scaaarrreeyyy.

Back