Bike rack capacity update- carried 26 pounds= post 15

going to the store it just clips on, out of the wayIMG_20190527_100401.jpg
IMG_20190527_100222.jpg
then slide it in to carry up to 4 bags. made this prototype in an hour, out of a scrap 1x2 about 18 inches long.
will test it soon. Feel free to post your cargo solutions. Must be many good ways to carry stuff 8)
It has been at least 15 years since i last was able to pedal to the store. I had been brainwashed into thinking i was eating healthy food; milk and cheese, "heart healthy" olive or canola oil :roll: :roll: . and i believed the marketing that to get protein, you need meat and dairy, and eggs. A total lie to sell these products. :roll: Now that i've found out the truth, and switched to mostly fresh produce, my strength is returning so i don't need my e-bike anymore 8)

Feel free to post your cargo solutions. Must be many good ways to carry stuff

The most I have been able to carry are 6 two liter bottles on the left handlebar, then a 2km e-ride. So I base a quick grocery store trip based on that weight. Its very doable, plus you get used to it after a few trips.

The seat post racks are great, then add some side posts for extra stiffness.

If no seat post rack is available, then a trailer hitch mount, for the seat post, is another good idea to help with making a stiff rear rack.

flat tire said:
Great mod, highly recommended for those seeking to be mistaken for a hobo.
Exactly my intent 8) Nobody steals a hobo bike.
When i ride my corvette, people ask me for money. on a hobo bike with rusty spokes, they don't ask. Especially if i have not shaved for a few days 8)
markz
i did try hanging a bag from the handlebar, but it rubbed the tire and gave it spooky handling. stores have discarded boxes that could be perched on top with a bungee cord or 2.
good idea

10 corn $2 and 2 mangoes $1 was todays test. they open 7am. worked great; very rare for anything i make to work fine on the 1st try 8) nearly 9 lbs, so not a max weight test.
This is the 1st week in 10-15 years that i rode the bike 6 days. (muscles would get too sore if i rode more than 2-3 days) Sure glad i learned to eat healthy food. had no idea it could make such a difference :mrgreen:

IMG_20190606_070747.jpg
now i can see the truck about to hit me :wink:
see that padding on the bars? it is just pipe insulation from Home Depot $2 for 6 feet, very comfy
And that bubble wrap hanging? That was padding in the box from unit 4 AC. I put a piece on the seat, and it is the most comfy seat i've ever seen :shock: Also the most ugly, fine for the hobo bike, nobody will ever want to steal this bike :lol: You could cover it with fabric for your classy "steal me" bike :mrgreen:

Trash day :)
Hobo bike gets 2 free Excel 26x2.125 ww road tires w/tubes and the front aluminum wheel with non-rusty spokes :shock: 40 psi not that great, but i'll certainly try the front wheel'tire. i prefer a 65 psi tire on the rear.
last friday hobo bike carried home about 10# of hardware from a garage sale. $9 total cost, including a 17" black light and a MAP torch 8)

So if you look at the above pic, i added 8 inch aluminum tubing from an old lawn chair to give a upright riding position. My neck starts to hurt when bending forward and looking up, on longer rides. so now when it starts to hurt, i can switch to a cruiser position 8)

Milk crate held on with zip ties and reinforced with aluminum struts from a broken outdoor shade umbrella. There's a total of four struts now, the first pick shows the original two. With front basket and milk crate, I can carry a fair bit of groceries including fairly large watermelons and 24 bottle cases of bottled water. The rack is also permanent home to my U-lock, cable lock and Mean Well charger.

file.php

View attachment 1
IMG_20190510_065256188_sm.jpg

while the tubing slips on snugly, i did put in a screw so it can't vibrate off.
IMG_20190629_162735.jpg
works great; neck much better!

Tested the rack hack to 13.25# today. DG has a new crop of sweet potatoes, $1 for 3# :shock: Just made a snack and they are delicious. Glad i got 4 bags :D
PS see my updated sig below :bolt:

You know you are old when people throw away stuff that is newer and nicer :lol:
29" bike - missing the seat, but otherwise like in the ad- sells for 169.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-29-Men-s-GS7-Multi-Speed-Cruiser-Bike-Silver/54713370
they also threw away an induction range :shock: again, newer and nicer (i passed, too heavy and electronic controls)

Rides like a tank :lol: :roll:
1st i had to make a seat post from an old lawn chair. i had a spare seat.
I'm 5'11" and i felt small for this bike :lol: I'd say 6'2" and up.
It does take the driveway gutter straight on, with my 26" i'd hit it at an angle.
And if i go off into the grass, it just yawns and keeps going :shock:
It is hard to pedal. the crank is 7", my 26 is 7.5. an old bike i hated was 6.5", so the crank is too short, but probably necessary due to the large frame.
Steering is S-L-O-W :lol: very wide handlebar.
I can see why my neighbor put it out for trash.
thanks for reading 8)

Years ago i saw a bike with an extended crank stroke. the owner let me test it 8) I really liked it and wanted my next bike like that :thumb: BUT i told a bike shop what i wanted and he said it would be hard on my knees :eek:
So now i have this free bike, and it would be a shame to not at least try to use it. the crank arms are steel, heavy but good to make a strong extension for a test. could have it welded if my temporary bolts loosen up too often.
there is plenty of ground clearance for an 8" stroke. then i could lower the seat 1" as it is a little high.
Can cut 3" off each side of the handlebar, and put grips near the center for fast steering.
Maybe i can find a smaller, lighter high pressure tire. the 2.125x29 is only rated 40psi.
:twisted:
:mrgreen: https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/640x425/acid_picdump_15_1f9aa94c0279442e48bdd4b8797d9f8dc0987f8f.jpg

i found the swinging bags annoying, so i put a gym bag on the rack(screwed it down to the wood). Put 4 bags of flour + 4# black beans + 1# lentils and bananas- 26# total with nothing swinging below- can still hang bags to carry more stuff, but the bike don't handle too good with +26, i think that is enough.
All this talk https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/27/russia-weaponizing-food-supply-chains-00012130 of possible food shortages, flour on sale at Publix- 36 cents a pound is hard to beat for the unbleached kind, to make delicious home baked rolls. So i stocked up- put 4 bags in the freezer since i don't eat meat or ice cream anymore- there is plenty of room for cold storage. :thumb:

put three, 18 gal bins on the rack, and stuck three 7.5 gal bins inside :shock:
made it home w/ 1 bungee cord holding it. went slow.
went back and got 3 more, one was 30 gal :bigthumb: free bins on trash day.
plan to fill w/leaves, grass, dirt, then plant tomatoes :bigthumb:

last May, got a 6x6 carpet new, left over from a job :bigthumb: very heavy, just what i needed for under my recliner. rolled up it was a W I D E load 8) it is nicer than the ones at Home Depot for $59
even wider was some 8' baseboard :twisted: had to pull over for a car :eek:
don't underestimate what you can carry, https://www.google.com/search?q=pic+overloaded+bicycle&rlz=1CABBMB_enUS1020US1020&oq=pic+overloaded+bicycle&aqs=chrome..69i57.13339j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 just bring some rope or a bungee cord, and go slow. :bigthumb:
post your favorite pic :bolt:

Matt Gruber said:
You know you are old when people throw away stuff that is newer and nicer :lol:
29" bike - missing the seat, but otherwise like in the ad- sells for 169.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-29-Men-s-GS7-Multi-Speed-Cruiser-Bike-Silver/54713370
Might make this big bike into a cargo bike. I plan to move the seat position forward as much as possible, giving huge cargo space in back. I'm going to try to adapt this tripod seat, for comfort and light weight
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264932543550?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110018%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D245462%26meid%3Da27c4a3c0197444884a60b8236754a61%26pid%3D101111%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D303730230285%26itm%3D264932543550%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DItemStripV101HighAdFeeWithCompV3RankerWithKnnRecallV1&_trksid=p2047675.c101111.m2109&amdata=cksum%3A264932543550a27c4a3c0197444884a60b8236754a61%7Cenc%3AAQAHAAABEA%252FJiT7ssNXrEsx1zZncFUUkLU8ikMh%252FiWOsxkTqeqIbE5K4lpcDSKjAfQ%252F1if83xcskVfwSIr3Q9NrWbvCXJcxJ8aHx6TfHiDS%252BghoYL5HEBhDkFuhJPn%252BLDmG0f0qB98SdaYcsKumq6fXFNAWi%252Bf0miDoOtNI%252BKkjq6tMLQZIADiitggW3%252F0%252Be5EB%252BXPgrud6Uja09iJW4V3GuRuYBJfhZoV9NghZk%252B1HoVyJzsbW3VxLXspG%252BJ2gpVCuM66meM4RQ9sfY5Rs1rtXBZT3Ps5bjgYcVmpg0QRkIGlBQP3KKbb8AqddjQFgkZFcGbeHTfm9k9KOnOh7ruC%252Fh%252BOafqXBGFPwyq5KumnQuMDRweFiR%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675
if it works, may add an inexpensive 500w rear hub motor. Bike looks strong.

got the tripod stool :bigthumb: well made, says 225 lb capacity. corners have double material :bigthumb:
not too tricky to mount. front leg goes to old seat post. will need to make mount.
rear legs need to be uncrossed, and mounted to rear rack.
rack will have to be redesigned to handle the extra weight. plan is to make the rack huge with a plywood deck. seat gets bolted on, then a large bin, like 10-15 gallon size. this is a cargo bike.
the seat will let me slide forward to pedal, and for coasting, slide back to the rear for comfort. won't be able to reach brakes from that far back :)
the stool is so nice, it may be a while. a stool under 2 lbs could prove handy 8) will have to try it out :bigthumb:

great find on trash day 800va, 450w UPS Amazon.com sells for $80. 9 lbs on the rack.
it works :eek: took cover off, 5ah battery dated 8-22.
read the amazon reviews, and some said it beeps too much and is annoying, so i desoldered the beeper :cool:
i might use it in a big hurricane power failure, hooked to my car battery, since i quit driving. 5 ah a joke.

Last edited:
2 rubbermaid trash cans. 2 bungie cords. Some alloy flat bar. Hooks. You end up with 53L worth of pannier capacity. The Rubbermaids are usable in sub-freezing weather without cracking apart. There are variations on this idea that use kitty litter containers. I just did a second set using commercial pannier mounting hardware ($18 each side) that didn't work as well as the stainless hooks. Axiom Streamliner rack has 50 kg weight limit.

My first solution for a lid was just a garbage bag. But like any pannier, just lining it with a garbage bag and cinching it up makes anything waterproof.

Pit
i like your cargo bike :cool: that is a serious tool.
I'm just having fun on trash day. Bike handles poorly at 27#, so no point to more capacity. If i were to want to carry some heavy stuff, i'd try my ebike, i can hang 2 free buckets instantly. i like free stuff, if i buy anything to bring home free stuff, that defeats the purpose. Reminds me of the guy that spent $50 to grow 1 pineapple. :LOL:

Back