I Should Call all this Money What, Exactly?

Dauntless

100 TW
So where's nutspecial for a story like this? Gotta be an absolute fantasy for a the creator of the thread about confessions of a dumpster diver. Excuse me, "Urban Forager."

https://thehustle.co/biggest-sweepstakes-winners/

Got my own story to tell. Last Christmas one relative gave everybody scratcher tickets for his state lottery. There was some grousing that I won more than anyone else (As though they weren't close? C'mon, if it had been a game of SKILL I'd have really clobbered them.) But of course nobody gets the face value of the tickets.

I told him he should take these non winners and enter his state second chance drawing online, but someone who could buy tickets still couldn't be bothered to enter the second chance. Makes no sense.

But when I got home I start noticing the scratcher tickets winding up on the ground outside the story where they were sold, or where they'd checked them, whatever. Couldn't help myself, I started picking them up and entering. Then I notice a few places where they tend to be scattered about a lot. Even noticing there are a few gambling addicts (I shot Public Broadcasting footage of these people, I know the zombie stare) that habituate these very spots. With that I'm picking up hundreds of dollars of those tickets at a time.

So you get as many chances in the drawing per dollar cost of the ticket. I love finding the $30 tickets. If I had 500 of those for a month (The maximum entry) I'd have 15,000 chances to win. A single chance is usually at odds between 1/550,00 to 1/750,000. I have to sit and enter while maybe I'm watching the NASCAR race, '60 Minutes' or something, but I don't really feel like that is some monumental task that's taking me away from anything. I just wish I was getting bigger tickets.

Darn, ain't it foolish for people to be trying to sell this tickets on eBay at $40 for 400 entries? They must sell them or they wouldn't keep listing them. Would I pay that $40 for the 500 $30 nonwinners at 15,000 entries each time? I mean I have people that have started giving them to me, why pay money?

Except while I've topped 5,000 for the month, even reaching 4,000 hasn't been a certainty. The last 3 weeks I've regulated to 777 chances a week by using up $2 and $3 tickets when the average is high to ensure the 777. There's also the occasional Fantasy 5 and Superlotto ticket, which doesn't win as much money but the odds are better. I just don't get many of those.

But am I going to get tired of this before I win any money? In a way I already have. I mean both getting tired and winning. Do you suppose those glassy eyed gamblers care about getting the price of the ticket back? Maybe they just drop those and buy more. If a ticket doesn't work the website calls it an invalid number. It says you might have entered it wrong or it might be a winner. How many of those did I throw away before starting to stack them in disgust. I learned that maybe 12-14% say invalid.

But since that suggestion it could be a winner made me take them to the store and check them, I learned that less than 10% worked out, but I came home with $202. I assume it's the gamblers dropping them, but I'll never know. Damn, I've thrown away more than twice this number I checked, do you suppose that was over $500 there?

Ah well, I guess I need somewhere in that fluctuating 550,00-750,000 range to have entered enough to seem like I've had a 100% chance, that would take years and can't predict that I'll continue to get even the larger tickets, so I may or may not reach 50,000 for the year. Maybe I could get 1,000 for the Superlotto at 1/280,000 odds, (280 years to reach 100%)and 100 for Fantasy 5 at around 1/9,500. (95 years.) Of the 52 total prizes across the 3, there's some 37 $1,000 winners, which will seem disappointing to win, right? Then there's 5 at $5,000, 3 for $10,000, 5 for $15,000, and 2 for $25,000. There's also the occasional additional drawing for certain tickets in both drawings, such as the Monopoly game tickets had a one time additional drawing of $40,000 and there's the current 7's game that will give 7 people $7,000 each. No idea how many entries any of those have, probably you wind up with microscopic chances.

Ah well. Today I saw two guys at it in two locations. Both regulars. One has a near new Lexus, I assume he can afford the over $200 in ticket litterings. The other has an old wreck, also leaving a pile of lost hundred$ You don't suppose he's the one who dropped the $50 winner, do you? Just doesn't care about that, he only wants the big one.

The kind of luck I'd like would be for a serious job to come along. If not full time, at least more than the random piecework I'm getting now. But a real winner could help make up for it all. I have such a backlog of tickets it will take awhile for me to use them up if people stop giving them to me, and/or I no longer find the tickets of the junkies.

I sure would hate to get bored with it before I won big. But I just think being that sweepstakes junkie sounds far worse. At least I already got $202. And I have some more failed tickets to go check. . . .

Back