Inverted Aquarium in Portland

SunCoaster

100 W
Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been away from the forum for awhile but am still doing ebike things.

People might be interested in seeing one of my work projects at PSU in Portland. The Inverted Aquarium was constructed almost 3 years ago and we have had fun improving it over that time. It was constructed with recycled chemistry lab drain pipe sections suspended above a 75 gallon aquarium.

Attachments

• IMG_0620 (6).JPG
    IMG_0620 (6).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,462
  • IMG_0619 (6).JPG
    IMG_0619 (6).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,462
  • IMG_0692 (1).JPG
    IMG_0692 (1).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,462
I never seen anything like that before. So the fishies aren't fighting current to get up into the tubes, its just like the tubes are the same as the tank. Must feed the fishies in the tubes/cube above the water level of the main tank.

markz said:
I never seen anything like that before. So the fishies aren't fighting current to get up into the tubes, its just like the tubes are the same as the tank. Must feed the fishies in the tubes/cube above the water level of the main tank.
Yep. One of the challenges is that water outgasses at the lower pressures in the pipes, so you have to keep pumping out the air to keep the water level constant.

No, we don't have to keep pumping - the vacuum pump is off 99% of the time. There is only a 1 psi difference in pressure between the water surface of the aquarium compared to the water at the top of the pipes (2' height difference).

Back