EV outdoor Condo charger installation

EV Newby

1 µW
I have to make a presentation to the co-Owners to get permission to install an EV charger behind my car in our outdoor parking lot.It is a 60 amp, 240 volt install. The electrical box is about 28' away from the charging post. The box is mounted on brick on an end Condo, then there is 8' of grass, then the car-park. We will need to dig a trench in the grass to reach my spot.

Questions, for you kind and generous geniuses:
According to the Canadian Electrical Code,
a) how deep must we dig?
b) must the cable be protected eg. conduit, pvc?
c) any other safety requirements?

I thank you a million in advance :D :D :D

Most likely you will have to dig a trench, otherwise its poles, so if you can get clearence from the condo board to install, then 28' of trench, 4-6' deep would be about right. Hopefully there is no concrete or asphalt in the way. You will have to get a utilities finder company to come out and mark the utilities, like gas, electrican, then there is the irrigation system.

Home Depot would have a trench digger, maybe some irrigation companies will be able to trench for ya at a reasonable cost being its not the season, unless you are in vancouver/victoria area.

I'm certain the trench will be probably 4 or 6' deep. A special cable would be required along with most likely a pvc pipe.
Electricians would know that, and give you a price.
I do have a Canadian Electrical code book from 2010'ish and they change it every 4 yrs.
I would have registered at an electrican forum, as they would know 110% and have 100's of members from Canada that are Red Seal/Master Electricians. Here at ES we probably have a few, no doubt.

What i've seen is a very hard, durable rubber outter casement. You'd have to find that at a electrical supply store as Home Depot and Lowes would not have that on their wire racks.

I remember your question being on the first year electrician test.

edit1 - https://www.electriciantalk.com/f31/canadian-electrical-code-8-104-8-underground-conductor-sizing-154385/
Gives potential clues to the conductor being used.
Teck Cable is mentioned
https://www.electriciantalk.com/f31/transition-indoor-outdoor-wiring-residential-63209/
also has pictures of code, with potential cable names, Teck90 for example.

EV Newby said:
I have to make a presentation to the co-Owners to get permission to install an EV charger behind my car in our outdoor parking lot.It is a 60 amp, 240 volt install. The electrical box is about 28' away from the charging post. The box is mounted on brick on an end Condo, then there is 8' of grass, then the car-park. We will need to dig a trench in the grass to reach my spot.

Questions, for you kind and generous geniuses:
According to the Canadian Electrical Code,
a) how deep must we dig?
b) must the cable be protected eg. conduit, pvc?
c) any other safety requirements?

I thank you a million in advance :D :D :D

Thank you all for the suggestions, for sure it will be inspected by the appropriate authority. Wont attempt now until the Spring.

Back