Freewheel issue

BikeVirgin

10 mW
Hi. Please could you help. I've just bought a rear hub with a 7 gear free wheel. The small cog is very close to the dropout and frame. There is no room to insert washer. What are my options other than locking out that small cog. Could I replace the freewheel with another one. The original gearing is 8 on the handlebars! Many thanks

Replace with a 6 speed freewheel and 6 speed shifter.

These are very cheap and durable. With electric assist, you won't miss the extra gears.

On mine I was able to use a cut down nut similar to the one on the far right hand side(used as a jam nut) in this picture.

uDYmrLT.jpg

With it tightened down to the where the threads end (closest to the motor), which happened to be about even with the free wheel side. (But not touching) It made a good backstop to tighten the dropout to. Then shimming with a washer to get the last gear to easily clear. Now I did have to spread the dropout a couple mms. But with a steel frame it was a non-issue.

nrnaoY1.jpg

Regards,
T.C.

They sell a couple of different thicknesses of these, one should fit without spreading the frame much, with the hook pointing out away from the freewheel. The one pictured is pretty thick, they also sell thinner ones.

One consideration if you do use a washer, a regular round hole one isn't supported the whole way around the circle because of the axle flats, and can push over onto the axle too far after the nut is tightened, sometimes during riding, which makes the nut go loose, which can lead to spinning the axle in the dropout.

P.S. I wouldn't use one in a fork like the picture shows btw, esp with what looks like heavily filed dropouts to get the motor axle to fit... They're just begging for the fork tips to blow up!

Attachments

• images (5).jpeg
    images (5).jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,011
Back