Voilamart 1500w 26in rear hub install !

BikeVirgin

10 mW
Hi. I'm having a number of issues with this install and thinking of scraping the idea altogether. Dropouts seem a little shallow. Not sure how to fit universal torque arm correctly. Freewheel tight against frame. Has anybody installed one and if so what frame did you use. Did you have any issues etc. Should I buy a different kit. I'm thinking about mid drive install instead!

Hey, don't give up yet...I literally have two complete voilamart rear setups like that that I got given by a guy that gave up on installing them. It's real common that you have to hand file the dropout on a normal bike frame to get a motor axle to fit, or spread the frame a little to get a spacer in for the freewheel.
And if you think hub motor is hard to get right... Just wait till you try mid drive set up from scratch!

Btw, sometimes changing the bike can make a conversion way easier... Some brands, say slightly older Konas, were known for having big blocky low tech dropouts that made the bikes a little heavy for pedaling, but that make it easier for filing and mounting torque plates to, compared to other brands that had 3d cast heavily contured ones.

Maybe if I could find another suitable frame. It seems most newer bikes now come with 700c 29ers so that is another issue. I need a large or XL frame because I'm very tall. I was going to change freewheel to 6 speed. I didn't want to file or stretch a aluminium frame!

I'm lucky enough to live somewhere slightly outdated 26 inch downhill frames are really common.. The right frame can save sooo much install time.

What frame are you using? I had no idea how difficult this was going to be. I guess experience plays a big part too. I guess getting the right kit too. I think the 1500w are on the bulkier side. So not as easy to fit.

The motor size is really the same... It's more of a controller side thing. My main ride is a recycled EV Global with modern battery, controller and motor... A giant plus was the dropouts are already deep enough for an ebike axle.

That bike was made in 1998... That frame will outlast me I'm pretty sure...

BikeVirgin said:
Hi. I'm having a number of issues with this install and thinking of scraping the idea altogether. Dropouts seem a little shallow. Not sure how to fit universal torque arm correctly. Freewheel tight against frame. Has anybody installed one and if so what frame did you use. Did you have any issues etc. Should I buy a different kit. I'm thinking about mid drive install instead!
Get some motivation, files, camera, and possibly a different freewheel or washers? Take some pictures. Got a lot of bicycle modification experts here to help you make it fit.

Grin Technologies Basics Ebike Guide
View attachment Ebikes_Basics_Guide_Web.pdf

Have had exactly the same problem with the same kit,you have to file out the dropouts and make them deeper and the freewheel needs to have some washers inserted to space it out,only way to do it.I only had to stretch by about 1mm each side to get clearance so it would hardly put any extra stress on the frame.good luck it is worth doing.

john61ct said:
so much for stealth :cool:

Yeah, there's no hiding that freakshow. But the ride is so fast and perfectly balanced that my eyes are glued forward and I forget real fast how it looks 👍

[youtube]XShgunSoW5o[/youtube]
Feel free to skip ahead if you don't love hypnotic back and forth s turns as much as I do, but the final minute is a nice high intensity very bumpy road finale, which is where that bike shines. The sense of overwhelming stillness of stopping after all that is what really makes the experience.

Thanks for everyone's comments. My biggest concern is the safety. I don't believe the frame I have is suitable. Shallow dropouts. Aluminium. And I'm quite heavy. I think I will look into getting a steel frame with deeper dropouts. I have some pics but I am having problems uploading them. I don't have PC. I just use my phone. Guessing the files were too large. !

Back