Helmet E-Bike standard NTA 8776

Jenming

100 mW
It seems like ebike speeds could deserve better helmets, but I haven't been able to find much on whether helmets meeting this standard are actually the best helmet for e-bike use. In my mind an e-bike helmet should really be useful to 35 mph or so, these are only rated to 28.

Anyone have any experience with helmets that meet the E-Bike standard NTA 8776?

in my experience, if you are at speeds where you need a helmet better than a regular bicycle type, you will probably also need body armor, to protect your joints and spine and skin.

at that point you might as well just use motorcycle gear; at least it's "rated" for those speeds.

in reality it will depend on the actual crash you have whether *any* equipment you're wearing protects you at all, regardless of what it was "rated" for. ;)

the reason the "ebike" stuff (of just about any type of thing) is "rated" for a max of about 28mph is because that's the limit for most of the laws allowing / defining ebikes in most places that allow them and define them and limit speeds, here in the usa. (outside the usa it's usually a lot less). (the number of usa places that don't have this limit is decreasing as lobbies work to get the 3-class "standard" implemented everywhere)

so for most of the manufacturers, there isn't a need to have stuff that's tested for anything more than that, and if there's no need, they're not going to spend money they don't have to testing it. ;)

keep in mind that ratings are just a number. and a test standard is just that--a test standard. it doesn't mean that in reality it will actually protect in any particular crash *other than* the specific crash situation(s) it was tested in. even a crash taht is a minor variation of the test situation could result in a failure of the helmet that allows instant death...you won't know till you test that out. :/

so your best bet is to ensure you don't allow a crash to happen that will cause you to *need* protective equipment. it's not always possible to prevent them...but there are certainly things you can do to minimize the possibility. ;)

28mph seems steep for a max speed. I know Canada is 32kph, which is 19mph'ish.

If you are concerned, step up to a motorcycle/scooter/moped helmet from dealerships.

Bicycle helmets are meant for people riding human powered bicycles, not a MOTORED BICYCLE.

markz said:
If you are concerned, step up to a motorcycle/scooter/moped helmet from dealerships.

Bicycle helmets are meant for people riding human powered bicycles, not a MOTORED BICYCLE.

Well, I disagree with this. An eBike helmet, built to an ebike standard, is a helmet meant for a motored bicycle. Whether it suits my needs (or anyone's) is still an open question.

The problem with motorcycle/scooter/moped helmets is that they are not meant for people riding bicycles. Sure, pedaling isn't useful above 30 mph. But my bicycle is a bike and I spend most of the time on it peddling, whether it be for exercise, to stretch the battery on a long 20 mph ride, to pull my son in his trailer, going up hills, going off-road, etc. At least in the summer, it is easy to overheat doing any significant amount of physical work in a motorcycle helmet.

Also, at least for the US DOT standards and as far as I know, there isn't a separate 30-40 mph standard. So those helmets are likely heavier than needed.

About the standard:
Drafting NTA 8776
In drafting the NTA, the project group made use of existing knowledge on head protection (a whole range of existing helmet standards, literature) and the results of tests performed on high-end bicycle helmets. Then, using EN 1078 as the base, the project group redefined its requirements towards the limits of the current technical possibilities in head protection. Next to the increased safety level, other important considerations in defining the requirements were that the helmet should be suitable for use in physical effort and should not impede the hearing ability of the S-EPAC user.

The question isn't really the need for e-bike rated gear (helmets and tires are what I've been seeing). It's whether the new e-bike rated gear that is coming out is actually better (or at least a way to easily spot top tier), or just a way to charge more money.

Bicycle companies do like to always bring out the new stuff, so maybe an ebike category of helmet with a cost of +40% depending on their forecasted sales dependant on ebike sales to a certain extent.

Jenming said:
The question isn't really the need for e-bike rated gear (helmets and tires are what I've been seeing). It's whether the new e-bike rated gear that is coming out is actually better (or at least a way to easily spot top tier), or just a way to charge more money.
ah; that wasn't quite clear to me in the first post. it sounded as if you were asking if the helmet was good enough for you riding at 35mph. if you don't ride any faster than the bicycle helmets were designed for, then the ebike helmets may not be enough different to worry about.

if they use the same materials as the bicycle helmets (cheapest way to make them), they'll be thicker (larger) and heavier (not a lot, but some), to absorb more impact energy from the higher speeds. if they have to absorb twice the impact, they'll have to be twice as thick.

if they use different materials, then i couldn't say what the physical differences might be, size- or weight-wise.

that said...what i said before about the test setup vs a real crash still stands. if the test standard doesn't happen to cover the actual crash situation, then any testing by manufacturers under that standard also wouldn't "guarantee" protection against that crash situation.

as a too-specific "for instance" (the tests surely cover more than one case; i have not read enough of it yet to know what the test cases are): if the test standard covers only persons of a mass of 120lbs or less striking their heads sideways in a fallover or slide event, and you are a person of a mass of 180lbs or more, then even in the same test case the results may be very different--there is more energy involved in the collision. even moreso in the case of a head-on collision that ejects the rider forward for a head-on impact with something (car, pavement, etc). that extra collision energy could be more than sufficient to split the helmet casing or completely crush the impact absorption material and still have enough to continue pushing the rider's head into the impacting surface and break the skull or worse.

so whether the "ebike" helmet standard is "better" than regular bicycle helmet standards is relative to the kind of crash and other conditions at the time, vs the test standards themselves.

that doesn't even include whether or not the manufacturer in question actually performed the testing the same way as specified (or at all), assuming it is something left up to the manufacturer to test and is not done by the same lab that developed the standard. or whether the manufacturer continues to produce the helmets themselves in accordance with the prototypes that were tested.

pessimistic i may sound...but iv'e beta tested assorted things (mostly software) over the years, and there are always conditions that aren't tested for that happen quite often in actual use. sometimes those conditions and the failure results at the time are catastrophic, sometimes they are benign or inconsequential. but you won't know till it happens. ;)

most likely, helmets made to the "higher" standard of ebike use would be at least a bit better than regular bicycle helmets. but you'd have to put both kinds thru the same crash test conditions and see what the results are, to know "for sure". ;)

Question is are we talking legal ebike power/speed levels?
Build a ebike helmet based on the legal speeds and the highest percentage of ebike type crashes.
Would seem logical, for a price premium.
More testing
High price.

If you are going to be fast, and want a helmet made for fast speeds the answer is simple ...

Downhill Bike Racers go speeds much faster than 28 mph or even 35 mph when on the more straight sections.

The Bicycle Helmet Mgf's know this and design helmets for down hill cyclists and the speeds at which they ride. I have not asked one of those Mgf's what the difference is .
There should be some insight to how the design is a little different , written somewhere on the Net
by the Down Hill Crowd , there are many Down Hill Cyclists , there must be a chat group for that .

There is a Road that I like to go down, nearly 6 miles long downhill, just coasting I reach speeds of 28-32 mph.
That is with no motor running just coasting down the hill , it is that steep , other hills I can reach 35 mph +
Just coasting down using no motor.
I have used a Down Hill Helmet when I know I am going to be riding those roads that day.

Jenming said:
It seems like ebike speeds could deserve better helmets, but I haven't been able to find much on whether helmets meeting this standard are actually the best helmet for e-bike use. In my mind an e-bike helmet should really be useful to 35 mph or so, these are only rated to 28.

Anyone have any experience with helmets that meet the E-Bike standard NTA 8776?

Back