haircut

marty

1 MW
Thanks to formula101's Covid-19 pandemonium. All the haircut shops are closed. I go to a old lady shop near my house. Hair guy does a nice job. $22 plus a $5 tip is $27. Called the hair guy and left a message on his answering machine. Told him I got a $50 bill with his name on it.

Today he called me :D Said he would come to my house next week. Thinking about proper working height for hair cutting. Hair guy is about as tall as the average human male 5' 9". I don't have any bar stools or drafting chair type chairs. Thinking of different ways to raise up a kitchen chair. Wood pallet. Sit on a phone book. Concrete blocks. Adjustable would be the best. Here is a picture of a chair like the hair guy uses in his shop.
51V-TQ10KKL._SL1010_.jpg
I got a harbor freight orange hydraulic table like this.
View attachment 1
Carrying it up the stairs would would take 2 people and it's really heavy.

Search for portable folding barber chair. $279.20 na... I am on a low budget.
8838b.jpg
Any one got any better ideas?

Attachments

• 1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-new-hydraulic-scissor-table-cart-lift-lb-capacity-electr...jpg
    1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-new-hydraulic-scissor-table-cart-lift-lb-capacity-electr...jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3,455
In the overall situation, i think there are bigger issues to worry about.
I dont think the chair is a big deal for a one off cut.
My aunt was a hairdresser and used to cut my hair at home ...any chair worked fine.!
PS ..i am currently sat on an adjustable height “bar stool”. With a seat just like that barbers chair.
Cost $50 at local furniture store. !

I just cut my own with an electric hair clipper. Cheap & convenient.

Another idea:
[youtube]1KKuV6UPvVg[/youtube]

i just use the clippers i got for the dogs, with the 3/8" comb, and run it over my head and face once a month or so, so the whole beard and hair is all short and no brushing/etc required. wash and let dry, doesn't get in the way of anything, and leaves me more time for dealing with more important things in my day. ;) also doesn't require a mirror so i can stand or sit anywhere and do it.

so i dont really have much help for the chair dilemma, except that it's likely the barber can deal with whatever situation you have there. ;)

https://www.flowbee.com/

Made in the USA - made in Kerrville, Texas USA
This revolutionary home haircutting system cuts your hair evenly into the recessed blades and trims it precisely. The results are a refreshing vacuum haircut.
With this product you
Save Money! Save Time! Have Fun!

Using the suction power of your vacuum cleaner or the new FLOWBEE super mini vac, the FLOWBEE then draws the hair evenly into the recessed blades and cuts it precisely. The results are a refreshing vacuum haircut.

minivacThe FLOWBEE Vacuum Haircut System allows you to create the most popular haircut styles. FLOWBEE can cut your hair from 1/2" to 6" long in any 1/4" increments. Simply select the desired spacer depending on the length you want your haircut. Then attach the spacer to your Flowbee. Haircut styles of your choice are easy & clean. Longer than 6" haircut is possible by simply adding more spacers.

markz said:
Using the suction power of your vacuum cleaner or the new FLOWBEE super mini vac, the FLOWBEE then draws the hair evenly into the recessed blades and cuts it precisely. The results are a refreshing vacuum haircut.
:shock: just be careful which hairy areas you use that on ! :wink:

Also.... its fashionable these days to have a “kojak” ...shaved..head to detract from thinning and receeding hairlines. Reduces the need for haircuts, but probably increased the shaving time !

I was surprised than not only can you still buy one of these, but that they’re made in Central Texas:

https://www.flowbee.com/

I think I'm going to see if I can get in touch with my barber and send him a 50 if he'll take it. Been going there for well over a decade, bring my son there too. Would like to see him remain in business despite this situation and that's about what I would have spent for a pair of cuts with tip. I'll shaggy dog it for a bit and bust out the clippers myself if it gets to that point.

HK12K said:
I think I'm going to see if I can get in touch with my barber and send him a 50 if he'll take it. Been going there for well over a decade, bring my son there too. Would like to see him remain in business despite this situation and that's about what I would have spent for a pair of cuts with tip. I'll shaggy dog it for a bit and bust out the clippers myself if it gets to that point.

Why not just let it all grow for the time being.

Pretty much the plan for the moment. Still shaving though. Got a small collection of double edge razors and shavette or two, might as well use them.

HK12K said:
Pretty much the plan for the moment. Still shaving though. Got a small collection of double edge razors and shavette or two, might as well use them.

Save them for shiv's just in case society goes medieval. Can use the blades for a shank.

markz said:
Save them for shiv's just in case society goes medieval. Can use the blades for a shank.

Always have my Olfa if it comes down to that.

5006olfaSNP-H-1front.jpeg

DE blades are so cheap I probably have enough in the medicine cabinet to last a lifetime and provide every active member on es the best shave they've ever had.

Have Old Type, will gentleman.
s-l400.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Barber-Styling-Beauty-Equipment/dp/B00OOEPTLI?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3
Seat height from 18.5’’ to 23”
$115.99
& FREE Shipping
About the same price as a Walmart bicycle. Wonder if Chalo would like it?

My kitchen chairs have seat height of 18".

Got a office chair that adjusts from 16" to 21". Swivels and has 5 wheels.

Borrowed a stool with no back. Seat height is 30"

Here is a picture of a Drafting Chair. [seat-height adjustment lets users alter the height of the stool from 26.5 to 31.5"]
71IKpnfhpoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Now I am dreaming of a special all purpose chair that adjusts from 16" to 36". Swivels and has 5 wheels.

Actually, if your state has closed the barber shops as non essential, then having him come to your house is defeating social distancing. Just saying, think about how essential a haircut really is.

Of course, this from a guy who last saw a barber in about 1980,, Still have the ponytail, but its quite a joke by now. Its just a hippie comb over really.

Meanwhile, an update on Marty. Is the hair getting DANGEROUSLY long? Are dreadlocks in your future?

So when my Dad came to this town before I was born, he started going to the guy that was still cutting mine when he retired. Newspaper coverage (Back when they were something) of that. So I started with the remaining guy in his shop, who was so old he'd forget what he was doing while he was cutting your hair.

Always he'd say he'd never retire, twice divorced and kids moved away. One day I was walking past his shop and they were remodeling. This time, the world took no notice the guy was gone.

Only problem for me was sometimes I wanted it right. I did some cutting my own since high school. Now I do it fulltime. Even when I had shoulder trouble and couldn't lift one arm, I did it with just the other hand. Not one of the better periods for that. . . .

Hair guy never called :(

No Flowbee for me :(
https://www.flowbee.com/order_page.htm
***We're doing our part & temporarily closing due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic. We’ll still be fulfilling orders that were placed before 8:00pm CST on 04/01/2020. We look forward to reopening as soon as possible & please everyone Stay Safe!***

Demand being up, electric clippers might soon also be hard to find at stores.

$22 Wahl clipper. Put the #4 guard (for 1/2" cut) on it & run it all over your head like you're mowing the lawn. Use the R & L tapered guards for the area around your ears.

Or there's Wahl's styling how-tos & lots of Youtube videos if you want to get fancier.

Amazon lists Flowbees. Says they'll be in stock 4/8.

[youtube]U9v3cWDEeI8[/youtube]

Back