'Droid Experts

Dauntless

100 TW
So somebody thought I wanted their old Motorola 'Droid. (Left with the charger.) And maybe I do, they know I play with stuff. If it's a 4k camera I'd like to boot it up and use it.

So it doesn't boot to requiring a password. It says to choose a wireless provider or wifi. The wifi doesn't connect. It asks to bluetooth data from another phone, while I did that for my current phone the one it replaced had a broken screen and I don't know that it worked afterward, I don't want to replace my current one with this, I just want the camera. I assume the person had transferred their data and it's not booting to wanting a password or going to the home screen for lack of knowing what to do.

So is there a way to just get it to run like a computer, just boot up to the main screen? While booting it says it's from Tracfone, but lands on a page telling me to choose a wireless carrier , but also mentions installing a card even though it's newer and can't be opened. If I hit skip it goes to wifi, but can't access any of the public wifi around it. If I can get to the main screen and navigate on it, that would be great because I can use the camera. This might be someone I barely know who knows my car and left it. I might never find out. (That's what it's like for those of us who talk to most everybody.) Or maybe they just set it on the car next to them.

(Speaking of everybody, why is it slowing down around here?)

First, make sure wifi is enabled. Many phones the function is seperate from the setup.

Next, when you "can't access wifi", what exactly happens? Does it identify available connections?
If not, see step one.

Ask for network key? Then what? If it gets that far, then you are either typo'ing the password or it can't deal with that particular encryption setup, or guesses wrong at what it is.

Have you tried a private, known good wifi network? Where you know the password for certain, can eliminate it, and can control the encryption setup?

Asking to choose a carrier means it is not set up, or has no sim card. Most still have replaceable sim cards. Most will work without a carrier, but some do not.

Usually you can bypass the above and still use other functions, but not always. It is a factor of the phone type and model, not the OS.

If I had the model, I could google the manual, but then .....

AngryBob said:
Asking to choose a carrier means it is not set up, or has no sim card. Most still have replaceable sim cards.
And there are Youtube videos that show how to access some Motorola Droid sim cards. The way to do it on those won't be obvious.

I guess what the real problem is from looking at some videos is I can't get to the operating system at all. All of YouTube shows the main screen, the icons, being able to get into settings. All I get is an animation showing it needs two cards, I have one that would fit but not the really small one, with it saying to find carrier. I hit the skip button and it goes to look for wifi, but I go to the no password at the library and it can't access it.

So I guess I am without the operating system. I have an SD card from my 2010 phone but that must not have the operating system, I have a card from one someone else gave me that won't fit from a newer phone. And I have a motorola that everything is wrapped in plastic and there's no getting to the card or battery that I can tell. I think there was another old giveaway but I'm not finding it. But the operating system is on a card?

My current phone is from 2018 and it must be jammed, I can never get it to pop up. Guess I won't be trying that one.

Well, it catches me by surprise that its an E6, this year's model. Gives the date 06-06-20. One crack in the screen, my 2 1/2 year old is worse. But when I try to open in on the computer it says "This folder is empty." Not what other phones ever said.

Trying to run recovery and smart assistant. Seems like DUMB program. I'm doing what it tells me to do and keeps saying there's no phone.

Don't know what to think. But I guess they replaced near new phone because something was wrong. From what I'm reading it's not 4k, but the mystery of it not working is getting to me.

Go over to the xda developers forums. Everything you could ever hope to know is probably there.

XDA I could spend months looking for it.

Where the video will start is where this thing boots to, then I get the first screen with the skip but the second screen has no skip. I'm watching people getting online thru wifi there, but won't do it for me.

https://youtu.be/Sq0_1O64S7s?t=145

Back