Whose Town Won the NBA Title and the World Series the same year?

Dauntless

100 TW
LA last had this in 1988.

Dang, 1980 the Rams were in the Super Bowl but lost, the Lakers were the NBA Champions a few months later.

1981 the Dodgers won the World Series. The Oakland Raiders had won the Super Bowl and were on their way to LA for the next season.

1982 the Lakers won again. They lost in the finals the next two years.

1984 the Raiders won the Super Bowl.

1985 the Lakers won.

1987 the Lakers won.

1988 the Lakers and the Dodgers won. The Lakers would lose in the finals the following year to close the decade.

You town have a run like this?

The main question is, will there be an *astrics around the winners of the pro leagues in covid. In hockey for example, there is a real boost for the players when they hear their home towns cheer loudly, covid playoffs there were no crowds, players were locked away in bubbles, shorter season. NBA was the same thing, it was a rigged playoff year.

Well, the Lakers already lost one of their titles, the expansion first year team winning their first title that the NBA doesn't admit. Then winning 5 of the next 6 and at least those are recognized. They have 18, but this is called their 17th.

Poor baby. Try being a Saints fan. We paid our dues. Sure the Dodgers mostly sucked, but that hardly counts.

markz said:
Baseball is not an even playing field, there are outfields with non-uniform distances to home run fence.

Are you a Green Monster fan?

The Dodgers lacked home run hitting when they built Dodger stadium, so the fences are way off. They proceeded to put together the first team with 4 players (Reggie Smith, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey, Dusty Baker) hitting 30 or more homers in one season, after the guy who led the way early on (Rick Monday) got hurt and kept it from being 5. They and other teams matched the 4, only one ever made it to 5. A leading homerun team over the years, imagine if they had a normal sized outfield.

I've read up on some of the Saints early years at times. With a few games to go they were leading the division in the early 70's but lost the last games and had a losing year. They had a midseason trade with Green Bay to give up the father of Peyton and Eli Manning but the backup who was supposed to play in his place got hurt and the #3 had a bad game, so they let the Rams trade their own washed up quarterback for 2 first, 2 second and a third round pick. Keeping Archie Manning didn't do the Saints any good without other players around to help him. The fans proceeded to wear bags over their heads and called themselves 'The Ain'ts.'

So the weekend of the Superbowl, I stopped at a Saturday Morning garage sale. The owner of a t-shirt shop was trying to dump his remaining Saints-Colts t-shirts for $2, nobody would want them after the game afterall. So I snuck up to the home of this guy near me from Louisiana and left it over the back of a chair so he could walk out the door and see it.

I don't remember, was it DURING the game I texted the question? "So are you wearing the t-shirt?"

You'd have to know how excitable he could be. 'YOU put that shirt there? I was freaking out because I COULDN'T FIND NUTHIN' like this. I just go walkin' out. . . .' He just sat there typing this big spiel with his thumbs. Your fellow long sufferer, right? Watching the game in style at last.

I also got a guy from Colorado a shirt that said 'Broncos, Superbowl Champions. NOW GET OFF MY BACK!' If you don't understand, most any Broncos fan could explain. Except he had it all of a minute when he put it down and turned his back. It was gone. I was right there and didn't see who grabbed it either. I went back to the store and they were sold out. . . .

Lakers and Raiders. Both overrated for me in recent years. I'm not seeing the Lakers winning another one this year anyway. I think Lebron has reached his limit, and the fake injury was one great way to show us that he can not take much more wear and tear than he used to. You also have emerging stars like Zion and Giannis, who will be serious contenders either this season or next. Another one to watch is the best Jewish basketball player to watch as he has improved so much this season.

Back