Linux geeks thread

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any other linux geeks out there? desktop guy or server guy?

I'd like to kick off some geeky gab here if possible..

I run a Gentoo server, with a few KVM virtual machines, hosting web site, email server and some other stuff.

I think the word "Gentoo" signifies geek :)

pickworthi said:
I run a Gentoo server, with a few KVM virtual machines, hosting web site, email server and some other stuff.

I think the word "Gentoo" signifies geek :)

Wiki says this

Gentoo Linux was named after the fast-swimming gentoo penguin. The name was chosen to reflect the potential speed improvements of machine-specific optimization, which is a major feature of Gentoo. Gentoo package management is designed to be modular, portable, easy to maintain, and flexible. Gentoo describes itself as a meta-distribution because of its adaptability, in that the majority of users have configurations and sets of installed programs which are unique to the system and the applications they use.[4]

Count me in! I run a laptop with Sparky Linux just because I can. I choose this flavor for the games bundled with it and of course the name. :lol: I have a raspberry pi running as a media server with plex and transmission with vpn. I host my own CHEAP server at Cloud at Cost for my portfolio, resume and blog. I'm a retired web developer and server admin with Mac, Solaris, Redhat and Debian experience. My official title was "Alpha Geek". This is my favorite forum not only because of the subject but also the high level of intelligence represented here.

I'm ready to geek out here! :bigthumb:

Okay i'll tell you about me.

I run a business that deals with Windows IT, Linux server administration, and web development.
Recently i have decided to get into the SAAS/cloud services game too. So i am in the process of greatly sharpening my linux-fu. My initial target for SAAS services is to offer nextcloud as an alternative to dropbox.

So i manage linux servers generally running Ubuntu on digital ocean, linode, amazon aws, godaddy, and now my new favorite, genesis hosting. I would like to experiment with openBSD in the future if many of it's security features are unavailable on linux.

On desktop, i run windows on all my personal machines because i'm big into music production, gaming, and emulation. But my favorite desktop flavor of Linux has to be KDE Neon/Kubuntu due to it's nice balance between memory usage and visual pizazz.

I would rather run linux on desktop for sure. I think 70% of PC users could actually switch to Linux quite easily at this point. Modern WINE, snap packages, and excellent 3d driver support on Linux is starting to make Linux a truly appealing alternative to Windows.

I've run Linux on my laptops and desktops for a few years now. Distro hopped a bit initially but settled on Fedora with Gnome as I like their release cycle but with frequent kernel updates which is nice on newer hardware.

Also use a windows vm with gpu passthrough for gaming and other windows only software.

district9prawn said:
Also use a windows vm with gpu passthrough for gaming and other windows only software.

What virtual machine software can do a gpu passthrough? i'm intrigued!

neptronix said:
Are there any other linux geeks out there? desktop guy or server guy
I know as little as possible about Linux and still be able to write (almost) real time Python code for controllers.

What do you use for performance monitoring at the terminal?

I've investigated practically everything out there and Glances has to be my absolute favorite so far because it shows network and disk IO.

2020-11-30 14_53_57-Desktop.png

Glances can also produce this awesomeness:

2020-11-30 15_05_26-Glances dashboard for Grafana _ Grafana Labs — Mozilla Firefox.png

Bashtop is fantastic from a visual point of view but if find it's usage of somewhat randomly shifting color to be disconcerting.

2020-11-30 14_59_39-(91) Endless Sphere - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png

by neptronix » Nov 28 2020 8:55pm

Are there any other linux geeks out there? desktop guy or server guy?

Ok you used the right words to peek my interest (Linux, geeks, server). Been wanting to get back into the game, has been a long time. Not a geek anymore but feel it rising again. Will follow along and see if I can get back into the game.

neptronix said:
What do you use for performance monitoring at the terminal?

Thanks for sharing what you use. I gave glances a try as it was available for RPi. It's quite informative but a bit slow to launch on the RPi. I usually use htop because it's lightweight and I like to see the load on the individual CPU cores.

htop:
htop.png

atop - for overall system usage, quickly picks out hot spots.
htop - for CPU and task monitoring. I like that it shows all threads as well as root task.

Plus, a comprehensive overnight health check that sends me the results in an email. Custom script.

htop was my go-to until i found glances. :thumb: the only bad thing i have to say about glances is how bloatware it is.. written in python, so.. :lol:

Give it a try if you like htop..
Code:
sudo apt install glances
glances -t 1

I hear atop is cool because it can do logging. But i've cracked that feature open yet.

neptronix said:
What virtual machine software can do a gpu passthrough? i'm intrigued!

Check out the vfio kernel module. You use the vfio driver on the display you want to pass through. Then you can just add the pcie device in qemu the usual way. The performance is pretty darn good. To me the performance in games isn't perceptible.

district9prawn said:
Check out the vfio kernel module. You use the vfio driver on the display you want to pass through. Then you can just add the pcie device in qemu the usual way. The performance is pretty darn good. To me the performance in games isn't perceptible.

:shock: :bigthumb:

I had no idea about vfio.. that's a game changer.
I take it QEMU is also inherently faster than something like virtualbox?

..can it also do USB audio device / PCI audio device passthrough? because that would solve a massive problem i have doing music production in a windows VM. Virtualbox can pass through my USB audio interface but it adds some latency when it does that :/

neptronix said:
I take it QEMU is also inherently faster than something like virtualbox?

Not sure about speed but I don't think virtualbox supports gpu passthrough.

neptronix said:
..can it also do USB audio device / PCI audio device passthrough? because that would solve a massive problem i have doing music production in a windows VM. Virtualbox can pass through my USB audio interface but it adds some latency when it does that :/

Keep in mind that you are passing through an entire motherboard iommu group and giving the guest low level access. So for onboard usb you would probably be passing through all the ports on a usb controller. Probably not ideal. PCI devices work great. I give my windows vm a second gpu (can't steal the host one) and a usb pci card which handles my mouse, keyboard and usb audio. This gives input and audio latency equivalent to using the usb pci card on the host.

I know nothing about linux, but use a raspberry pi as a renderer for hi res audio. I use pre packaged software called moode, that I believe is debian based.

Moodeaudio.org

The pi has a cheapo hifiberry dac. I use Tidal to send audio to the pi. This is connected to my 70' Luxman amp and Boston Accoustics speakers. Sweet sound and convenient!

I am considering upgrading to a pi 4 and a new dac. :D

I'm no computer geek but I run Ubuntu on my desktop and Linux lite on my laptop, can I join the conversation? I might learn something, I can do HTML.

Torchy said:
I'm no computer geek but I run Ubuntu on my desktop and Linux lite on my laptop, can I join the conversation? I might learn something, I can do HTML.

Sure, you can be one of the cool kids :mrgreen:

Our new webhost is digitalocean and in general i'd say i like them.
However they do not have good controls on the speed of disk access for shared hosting.

You may have noticed that ES runs like the quickest page on the internet, but occasionally stutters and hangs for seconds.
This is the disk access problem.

I like the systems i run to be consistently scorching fast and digitalocean is not cutting the mustard. Kind of a bummer.

Hey Nep, would quicker access cost more and if you were to find another host how much work to switch?

neptronix said:
Our new webhost is digitalocean and in general i'd say i like them.
However they do not have good controls on the speed of disk access for shared hosting.

You may have noticed that ES runs like the quickest page on the internet, but occasionally stutters and hangs for seconds.
This is the disk access problem.

I like the systems i run to be consistently scorching fast and digitalocean is not cutting the mustard. Kind of a bummer.

markz said:
Hey Nep, would quicker access cost more and if you were to find another host how much work to switch?

Because i wrote scripts and rehearsed the moving process for ES, the time to switch would be ~3 hours of my time and 30 mins of downtime next time. Not a big deal.

I don't know of a host that kinda slots between amazon and digitalocean in terms of price vs quality. Digitalocean offers a higher grade instances that may have less of a disk problem.

Another issue might be that the most recent phpbb has a tendency to not close it's database connections and force them to time out. Working on a way to get that to not happen..

*edit - i just implemented the above trick.

The disk io problem is apparent in this graph.. the load gets high without the CPU getting high.. while disk IO drops a little. That means the CPU is waiting for an IO device..

2020-12-09 17_25_57-Web Development [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox _ 1.png

I was right.. Digital Ocean does not meter their customer's disk IO.. our server chokes at a few % CPU load and less than 1mb/sec data transfer rate frequently.. it's not because we are being throttled, as can happen on Amazon.. there's just no throttle... and other people are taking advantage of that, lol.

2020-12-09 19_22_56-Web Development [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox _ 1.png

I'm going to see if there is a better option on digitalocean. I like their backend and pricing but the extremely variable disk speed is not cutting the mustard.

Back