Whyme

1 µW
I have ordered a Ebike full suspension. I would like to carry a spare battery for extending the range.
There are racks that connect to the rear suspension arms that are fairly reasonably priced. The thing I am
concerned with those is the constant up and down as you go over bumps , I wouldn't be taking it over major jumps
just say a high curb height The picture I include is of the bike I drew in fenders and I designed one that may work.Battery.jpg

Thats the way to do it, but you may have to extend the rack out more. What materials will you be using?

Whyme said:
I have ordered a Ebike full suspension. I would like to carry a spare battery for extending the range.
There are racks that connect to the rear suspension arms that are fairly reasonably priced. The thing I am
concerned with those is the constant up and down as you go over bumps , I wouldn't be taking it over major jumps
just say a high curb height The picture I include is of the bike I drew in fenders and I designed one that may work.
Battery.jpg

That's a relatively stressed part of your bike, which is not a good place to cantilever a dead weight. Definitely do not drill into the frame or seatpost as your drawing suggests. If you can carry your supplementary battery in a handlebar bag or sturdy front basket, that would be preferable.

https://www.jbi.bike/site/product_details.php?part_number=90202
90202.jpg

I wouldn't want to have my battery rattled around be being attached to the rear suspension. At some point something will go bad and that something might cause a fire. Having it attached in the manor shown in green is an OK way to hold an extra battery except it will hinder the balance and potentially make the bike unstable at times. I think Chalo's idea is better then a rear rack battery. I have had e-bike crashes due to rear rack battery weight. It's no fun.

:D :bolt:

Just basic ideas, so far, Plan A but love input from others. As one suggested front basket , which I will check out. Maybe end up a basket case.

If I were to do a rear rack, I'd also extend the rack to the top bar (just below your water bottle cage) for more bracing.

I considered extending to bottle attachment , but that would increase step over height. There would be ways to fix that too.
So again appreciate ideas. On plan B

Another option is to have another battery for long trips, and carry it in a backpack until you need it. Leave it off the bike for shorter trips.

:D :bolt:

Yes. to backpack idea , simplest , cheapest and only need it occasionally I don't get my bike till May 2021

Back