Looking for this tool to remove my front chainring on a bewo middrive

Dumsterdave

100 W
Anyone know where I can get one if these tools? Preferably in Europe or even better Copenhagen. I found some online, but they are too small. I need 44mm

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-28-19-21-56-718_com.opera.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-12-28-19-21-56-718_com.opera.browser.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,149
  • IMG_20201227_144028.jpg
    IMG_20201227_144028.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 2,149
It might be worth leaving it on it's side soaked in DW40 for a day or 2 before you try to remove it again.

There is enough thread visible in the cut outs to verify the thread direction. From here it appears to be left hand. Make sure before beating on it. Use a heavier hammer and a sturdier punch.

Warm the alloy spider with a torch or heat gun and quench it with penetrating oil or water and let cool. If it does not free up easily, repeat.

A local shop does repairs to lock components for the Erie canal. Some of the parts come in with hardware barely recognizable do to the rust encrustation. Some of the parts have been repeatedly submerged a hundred years. The main man showed me once how he deals with them. Heating the parts and water quench till cool is all it takes. Never even needs oil. It may take a few rounds, but the nuts spin on and off by hand with this simple treatment. Water dissolves rust better than oil and penetrates very well.

speedmd said:
There is enough thread visible in the cut outs to verify the thread direction. From here it appears to be left hand. Make sure before beating on it. Use a heavier hammer and a sturdier punch.

Warm the alloy spider with a torch or heat gun and quench it with penetrating oil or water and let cool. If it does not free up easily, repeat.

A local shop does repairs to lock components for the Erie canal. Some of the parts come in with hardware barely recognizable do to the rust encrustation. Some of the parts have been repeatedly submerged a hundred years. The main man showed me once how he deals with them. Heating the parts and water quench till cool is all it takes. Never even needs oil. It may take a few rounds, but the nuts spin on and off by hand with this simple treatment. Water dissolves rust better than oil and penetrates very well.

Ill have to try the torch/water method, problem is with covid-19 there are no stores open at least for another couple weeks and I don't own anything bigger than a small butane torch only suitable for cigarettes or fireworks. Also, there are threads visible, but they are pretty damn hard to see which way they are going. I spent a good 5 minutes staring at them and trying to run my fingernail in the grooves. i even tried to slam a bit of paper in there to get a thread mark on the paper, but it just looked like straight lines.

I would Give your mini torch a go. I use a plumbers torch most times. Just hot to the touch. Some times just a bit of heat on a alloy part will free it. It will grow three times what the steel will and also heats much faster.

On thread direction, the cutouts will allow you to see at least the first few thread progressively moving inboard or outboard as you go slot to slot. You may need a loop and some light.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Freewheel-Remover-Bikes/dp/B000AO9S68/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjp6BBhAIEiwAkO9WuskAPqjqCnQOSjUVh47iV3QgQa8rnhE78WMkvLze6-TCcEC5MvvxBhoCwIIQAvD_BwE&hvadid=178176817623&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001883&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12479293803545650675&hvtargid=kwd-27223643241&hydadcr=2429_9914336&keywords=bike+freewheel+removal+tool&qid=1613272792&sr=8-8&tag=googhydr-20

Hello,
I have the same problem. I can not get the chainring unscrewed. I have a BMX freewheel remover with 4 nuts with 43mm that fits. I soaked the whole thing with WD40 a week ago. It does not move. :confused:

Before I use brute force: The whole thing is a left hand thread? So I turn either the chainring anticlockwise, or the inside clockwise?

Back