Replace asphalt roof with Tesla glass (no solar PV)?

just saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_5PqHcKNc&ab_channel=UndecidedwithMattFerrell
I briefly looked into selling power, but my UC will only buy 90% of my average bill, and it is so low, like $30/mo it is out of the question :(
BUT glass is one of the few things that will last on the beachside w/salt air and strong sun. And if you watch the vid, you see that repair is super easy and cheap, they just snap off if damaged, and they are strong enough to walk on. 8)
I think it looks better than a metal roof, which could last, but i'm uneasy about STEEL- if the paint isn't perfect it will rust.
Tile and state cost way more :x
Any opinions?

NOT GOOD! (for me) They don't even sell dummy plain glass roofs :roll:
system is only rated to 100 mph for 2 hours.
asphalt (the best) rated to 130 mph

Matt Gruber said:
, but i'm uneasy about STEEL- if the paint isn't perfect it will rust.
Tile and state cost way more :x
Any opinions?
Steel roofs are not painted, ..
Its either thermally bonded on colored poly film ( commonly known as “ColorBond” down here,..
.... or zinc galvanised steel sheet.
A steel roof is as strong as the structure it is attached to , and about the only practical roof if like us you expect 100+ mph winds, monsoon rains, tennis ball sized hail, falling tree branches, and bush fires !
.....sometimes all at once !
Probably the ultimate roof is sheet copper.
hEXlkr.jpg

due to Trump tariffs steel has gone way up! my neighbor just got a quote
asphalt $11k
steel $32k
and they don't appear very strong- very thin steel (to keep costs down)
i did get a steel garage door in 2006 - good so far :bigthumb:

Matt Gruber said:
and they don't appear very strong- very thin steel (to keep costs down)
..corrigations make it Strong enough to walk on..and resists damagefrom hail and tree branches better than tile etc.
Thin for light weight and giving major cost reduction in support structures for new/ replacement roofs.
I suspect the life expectancy of steel is many times that of Ashphalt.
Mine is 20+ years old with no sign of deteriation.. many are 75-100 yrs old !

markz said:
Price depends on square footage of roof so that $11k doesn't mean much of anything.

how about 11 units of money v 32 for equal amount of steel? does that tell you anything or not? Hint: my neighbor said he'd sooner buy 3 asphalt roofs than 1 steel ( if he lives that long)
a perfect steel roof could last 1000 years. a cheap one could rust out in 10. I'm on the beachside where ac's can rust out in 5 on the east and 10 on the west side of the house. I'd say a concrete tile roof is best here, easily last a few hundred years as there is no freezing to crack them. i have a sample, never saw a house with it. So very likely nobody around here is experienced.
THE ultimate roof would be factory made pre-stressed concrete :shock: I bet that would cost a ton of gold :lol: easily handle a 155 mph tornado. Would be more like a bomb shelter :lol:
my steel garage door has started to rust. i can touch it up :thumb: (no, i don't go up on my roof)

so here is why my NEW neighbor is replacing his roof, which was in good condition.(doing it today)
As a new owner, the ins co inspected the house, and looked up the roof purchase date on the city permit on file. Being 16 years old the ins policy would be $1000 MORE due to the old roof. Say the old roof could last 2-10 years, maybe 6 on average, that would be an extra $6000 in ins cost! so a NEW 11k roof makes sense for HIM.
He told me I'm "grandfathered" and i won't pay any extra. I figure they are just too busy to look up every policy, or maybe don't want to jack up rates on an old customer as they may jump ship :lol:

Back