Dental DIY- Tooth repair -piece broke off

So it only takes 1/2 hour to fix a chipped tooth :thumb:
the first 28 minutes is working up the courage :lol:
then 30 seconds to mix the dental epoxy, dry off tooth.
30 sec to apply to tooth
1 min to correct anything before it sets hard.
then type on ES for 8-10 min while it sets up STRONG. Looks great- amazing i did it myself 8)
I have 2 to do, so back to work for #2.
mixing went wrong :roll: only got 1/4 mixed and the time for mixing ran out :roll:
i put on 1 dab and that was all i had- wanted a bit more, but it looks good, just kind of thin.
Have plenty of epoxy for any do overs.
:mrgreen:

And here I thought you were gonna tell us about your chainring.

Well,I hope you seriously disinfected in there, any bacteria inside could leave you seriously hating life. Is there enough tooth left for a crown? Probably less now if you try. This was not a good idea.

Dauntless said:
Well,I hope you seriously disinfected in there, any bacteria inside could leave you seriously hating life. Is there enough tooth left for a crown? Probably less now if you try. This was not a good idea.

3 years since my 1st repair :bigthumb: a mouth can be loaded with bacteria :lol: saliva is anti-bacterial :thumb:
this is my 3rd and 4th repair - all good.

13 years ago i had a filling fall out, my dentist did a temporary epoxy repair. I asked him if i could do this myself, and he said sure, just don't use JB Weld it is not OK inside the human body. Fix #4 was the same tooth the dentist fixed, a corner chipped off. good so far 8)
BUT i agree there are MANY jobs only a dentist should do :bigthumb: I have 1 broke off tooth that i waited too long to fix, my gum has grown inside so now i am stuck. not sure if i should pull it or what.
So, many times the experience of a dentist is needed :bigthumb:

the 13 year old filling, now 15 years, fell out :bolt:
repair went much faster this time. BUT i did not mix up enough cement, and ran out. :shock:
been a week and it is ok for now,
need more practice :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
the chipped tooth repair is still good :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Of course dental experts are going to be critical of my work. They lost a customer, and if DIY ever catches on, many will go out of business.

Matt Gruber said:
if DIY ever catches on, many will go out of business.

Don't hold your breath or invest in those schemes. I'd sooner get a second job and have fillings like mine that are 50 years old...

the only people complaining that i do 99% myself are those losing a customer. :roll:
and i have free dental, and i will go there if and when i need it.
i have free cremation too, doesn't mean i want to get it now, just because it is free.

Matt Gruber said:
the only people complaining that i do 99% myself are those losing a customer. :roll:
and i have free dental, and i will go there if and when i need it.
i have free cremation too, doesn't mean i want to get it now, just because it is free.

No complaints here. I rather enjoy a majority of your posts. I think the nutrition stuff is spot on. McDougall diest turned around kidney function suffering poor function for 50 years. However, my teeth are critical, and few if any of the issues I've had were possible DIY fixes. I HATE the dentist. Without Zanax I'm done. I have sweat rings to my belt line from my armpits sitting through a cleaning. They do have a license to steal...

tom,
glad your kidneys work better :bigthumb:
Most work needs a dentist. i had a filling fall out twice, that was done by 2 dentists. All the grinding was done. the easier part is the cement. Just had lunch and was able to chew without having to be real careful. :bigthumb:
Just logged on to Humana to sign up for my free dental Visa, said to be good for $750, but it was a scam. Had to make up a password, then it says my free visa is good for $00.00 Wow what a deal :confused: :lol: I do have humana advantage and they have been lowering co-pays, now $0, so i fell for it. Not sure why they sent the fake visa, maybe a marketing mistake.
So no, now i don't think i have a dental plan, last time i just told the dentist i'd pay cash.

Matt Gruber said:
tom,
last time i just told the dentist i'd pay cash.

And there's the scam. IF my Humana pays for cleaning, their payment and mine is $70 less than if I have no insurance and pay the entire bill out of pocket. Just like medical insurance. No insurance? You're billed more than your insurance and copay. A license to steal. Fuktards.

tom
you are right, they charge cash buyers way more. my 2017 ER visit cost me thru humana $75, cash price 4,850 :shock: yet they accepted 200 from humana :shock:
the whole medical system is a giant scheme. the er dr even advised me to "play along with the system" :shock: i sort of did, you know, nod and smile. :lol:
1st they want to see what ins. you have, then they figure what they can get paid for by the ins. and treat you for those conditions.
Have not gone to my assigned Dr in 4 years. my excuse is "there could be a virus" Truth is, they just want to score a big payoff from the ins co. He billed 4800 for an EKG test, humana denied claim. no symptoms, and nothing wrong. i guess he might get 200?

Matt Gruber said:
tom
you are right, they charge cash buyers way more. my 2017 ER visit cost me thru humana $75, cash price 4,850 :shock: yet they accepted 200 from humana :shock:
the whole medical system is a giant scheme. the er dr even advised me to "play along with the system" :shock: i sort of did, you know, nod and smile. :lol:
1st they want to see what ins. you have, then they figure what they can get paid for by the ins. and treat you for those conditions.
Have not gone to my assigned Dr in 4 years. my excuse is "there could be a virus" Truth is, they just want to score a big payoff from the ins co. He billed 4800 for an EKG test, humana denied claim. no symptoms, and nothing wrong. i guess he might get 200?
My health collapsed and I was forced to retire at 57. Now 72. I moved back to where Igrew up and in the Mayo Clinic system they accept Medicare and even with severe health issues my yearly out of pocket is less than a supplemental policy/ $6500 colonoscopy costs me $67. Best move I ever made. New pacemaker a $7500 device before implant was $127 out of pocket and medicare paid 20% of the billed cost. Sadly I have friends in CA and they wait weeks for Medicare doctors where I wait days for appointments and treatment. FUKTARD system.

tom
mayo is :bigthumb:
i was confused by all the advantage plans, so i figured i'd start with the lowest price, and move up if necessary. To my surprise :shock: they have lowered the cost every year. for 2023 i will get a credit of $125 every month. $1500 per year savings. over 5000 in 5 years. main complaint is that i just can't go anywhere i want, but at this point i just might fork over some cash, if need be, despite the rip-off prices.
Luckily my newer diet has made me feel 20 years younger, so i'm not complaining or visiting Dr's at all.

Matt Gruber said:
tom
mayo is :bigthumb:
i was confused by all the advantage plans, so i figured i'd start with the lowest price, and move up if necessary. To my surprise :shock: they have lowered the cost every year. for 2023 i will get a credit of $125 every month. $1500 per year savings. over 5000 in 5 years. main complaint is that i just can't go anywhere i want, but at this point i just might fork over some cash, if need be, despite the rip-off prices.
Luckily my newer diet has made me feel 20 years younger, so i'm not complaining or visiting Dr's at all.

Adabatage plans scared me off. Any catastrophic health issues can quickly drain the account and lead to astronomical bills. Cool if one is positive he'll not have any wild rides, but one stroke, cancer on any level, and the advantage plans leave the house to the state welfare dept. IMO the only advantage to the advantage plan is those in good health and profits for the insurer. They're not magnanimous entities.

tom
i assume that plans vary. even humana plans vary county to county.
here is a quote from my 2023 update for Volusia county FL.
"once you have paid $3700 out of pocket for covered part a and part b services, you will pay nothing for your covered part a and b services for the rest of the calendar year"
Does this sound like your local plans? Am i missing something?

Matt Gruber said:
tom
i assume that plans vary. even humana plans vary county to county.
here is a quote from my 2023 update for Volusia county FL.
"once you have paid $3700 out of pocket for covered part a and part b services, you will pay nothing for your covered part a and b services for the rest of the calendar year"
Does this sound like your local plans? Am i missing something?

To me that sounds like a typical plan, NOT an "Advantage" plan. Is it called Advantage? And yes, it varies by state. Nanny states seem to have better coverage. Conservative states are less so. We've politically weaponized health care. Sad really when a back yard garden might be the best health plan ever...

Yes, it is an advantage plan; cheapest i could find. It has improved from 6500 copay max to 3700 :thumb:
the catch is, LONG TERM CARE is not included. so with say, a stroke, there are XX covered days, and then i pay. same with a nursing home, they pay a few days then coverage ends.
i had the thyroid ER claim in 2017/2018 and i'm pleased with humana. they paid the hospital promptly and my copay was under 200. the gross bills were somewhere in the 10k-15k zone :eek:

Matt Gruber said:
Yes, it is an advantage plan; cheapest i could find. It has improved from 6500 copay max to 3700 :thumb:
the catch is, LONG TERM CARE is not included. so with say, a stroke, there are XX covered days, and then i pay. same with a nursing home, they pay a few days then coverage ends.
i had the thyroid ER claim in 2017/2018 and i'm pleased with humana. they paid the hospital promptly and my copay was under 200. the gross bills were somewhere in the 10k-15k zone :eek:

Well In my middle 70's long term care is a distinct possibility. Cancer can wipe out all savings in a blink.

tom
imagine being not only dead, but broke too :twisted:
Happy New Year :bigthumb:

tom
The chance of being admitted to a nursing home increases with age. For example, about 15% of people 85 years and older live in nursing homes, compared with just 1.1% of people 65-74 years of age.
The average length of stay before death was 13.7 months, while the median was five months. Fifty-three percent of nursing home residents in the study died within six months. Men died after a median stay of three months, while women died after a median stay of eight months.Aug 24, 2010

Added to the tooth that was low. this time i enjoyed the repair. i put the whole glob on and then removed excess with a toothpick.
it looks great, but doesn't color match. i did bite down with a plastic bag to get the hopefully correct clearance. will see soon if it lasts and works right. Don't try this yourself based on my comments. Ask your dentist, and if he is cool like mine, he will give you good instructions.

Back