Why a Co2 Laser PS has high voltage insulation only on the positive?

Because the only thing touching that negative that will cause a problem, is the positive side

john61ct said:
Because the only thing touching that negative that will cause a problem, is the positive side

Doesn't make sense...
The tube has a huge thick insulation around the positive end and a totally flimsy thin negative pole with zero insulation.
I've seen the positive pole on youtube shooting lightning through that huge insulation while the negative never had that problem like it doesn't have the super high voltage going through it.

It usually means the negative side of the power supply is grounded or close to ground. There will be HV between the positive and negative terminals regardless, but inside the power supply, one side may be connected to ground. If you had a HV meter, you could measure this.

If you are asking for the underlying science or about that specific device being "different" that's above my pay grade.

But it is normal in "ungrounded" DC applications generally - where that term is reserved for "true Earth Ground", as opposed to Common Reference and Negative Return

all mobile use cases are ungrounded in that sense

for all the switching, circuit protection etc to be on the positive side between source and sink

while all the various circuits' (even differing voltages, say 12-48V) negative sides relatively exposed, connected to the vehicle engine bloc and chassis at multiple points

thus exposed to where fuel, children and pets can make contact etc.

This is not universal - sea water corrosion issues for example on metal hulled boats

but generally the norm.

Seen over 15kW DC generators rigged that way

fechter said:
It usually means the negative side of the power supply is grounded or close to ground. There will be HV between the positive and negative terminals regardless, but inside the power supply, one side may be connected to ground. If you had a HV meter, you could measure this.

Ahh I see, so the whole laser machine body is negative so no reason for the wire to try to arch anywhere other than to the positive end

Yes, "chassis ground" nearly always is what ensures the Common Reference point across multiple circuits.

Some devices end up with potential hot on the outside

and then carry a big warning "intended only for use within enclosed equipment"

or have to use very thorough external insulation to protect the user.

john61ct said:
Yes, "chassis ground" nearly always is what ensures the Common Reference point across multiple circuits.

Some devices end up with potential hot on the outside

and then carry a big warning "intended only for use within enclosed equipment"

or have to use very thorough external insulation to protect the user.

So if the positive arches to the chassis and I'm touching the chassis then I'm getting fried?
How dangerous 15kv is under such low currents?
Isn't it like a taser only with a much lower voltage since they both have close to zero current and just make you dance for a moment?

rg12 said:
So if the positive arches to the chassis and I'm touching the chassis then I'm getting fried?

No, the danger comes when your body (and especially going across your torso not just down one side)

is the "shortest" (lowest resistance) path **between** the positive and negative

> How dangerous 15kv is under such low currents?

> Isn't it like a taser only with a much lower voltage since they both have close to zero current and just make you dance for a moment

Complex question, lots of variables.

Plenty of deaths from getting tased, it is just "less lethal" not non-lethal.

Do some googling soon you will become a relative expert.

john61ct said:
rg12 said:

No, the danger comes when your body (and especially going across your torso not just down one side)

is the "shortest" (lowest resistance) path **between** the positive and negative

> How dangerous 15kv is under such low currents?

> Isn't it like a taser only with a much lower voltage since they both have close to zero current and just make you dance for a moment

Complex question, lots of variables.

Plenty of deaths from getting tased, it is just "less lethal" not non-lethal.

Do some googling soon you will become a relative expert.

Taser deaths? that's new to me...
I guess I will stop teasing the cops then :lol:

Over a thousand up to 2019, as per Reuters

Disproportionally non-white, as a matter of fact. And dying after being tased, not that proven as cause of death.

Back