Cycle Analyst v3.1 & 9C hub motor trouble shooting

PUMPMANPLEE

10 µW
ebike gurus

i have the following hardware all connected up
but hub motor will not spin or work
when power is ON & the Thumb throttle is turned.

the THROTTLE SLIDER on the Cycle Analyst
main display can be seen moving up & down
when the Thumb throttle is turned to max & min.
it seems the Cycle Analyst is picking up the
Thumb throttle movement but the hub motor
does not hub motor does not work or rotate at all.

-Cycle Analyst v3.1
-Crystalyte controller 48V/40A
-Thumb throttle
-9C hub motor 500 Watts

has anyone resolved a similar issue ???

First, set the CA's Throttle menu (input, I think) to BYPASS mode. This will simply pass all throttle input right to the output unmodified by any settings in the CA. If it still doesnt' work, that eliminates the CA settings as a cause (for now).

If it starts working, then you have a setting in the CA preventing operation. At that point you should go thru the whole setup, one menu option at a time, via the CA3 manual on the Grin CA3 info pages, to make sure it is correctly setup for the way you want it to work.

If it isnt' working with CA in BYPASS mode, then since the throttle is working (slider moves on screen) then it is hardware, anything from the throttle output of the CA to the input of the controller to low voltage at the controller to controller not being turned on to many other things.

Have to go step by step from there.

yup...no luck
gone through all the Cycle Analyst CA setups

could be a defective CA

without the CA disconnected, hub motor runs well.

PUMPMANPLEE said:
yup...no luck
gone through all the Cycle Analyst CA setups

could be a defective CA

Going thru *all* of the possible CA setups would take a very long time (months? years?), as there are many variables and combinations of them. It is not necessary to try all of them. It is only necessary to go thru the proper setup *steps*, as defined in the CA manual's setup instructions. (or if using an old enough firmware version, you could use Teklektik's Unofficial User Guide (UUG)).

It is also necessary to verify your wiring is correct for throttle output of the CA to input of your controller. If the wiring is wrong, the CA can't do anything for you, because it can't send the throttle signal to the controller. ;) You can verify at least if the CA is sending a signal out by using a voltmeter on the throttle out connector pins. You can also verify if the CA throttle output works by using the "Disabled (WOT)" throttle mode, which will set it to the full throttle output voltage. Don't do this with your controller connected, because it will suddenly spin the motor full speed uncontrollably!

So what specifically happens when you set the CA to Bypass mode in the Throttle menu?

Does this mean that when the CA is still connected, but set to Bypass mode, that the "hubmotor runs well"?

Or did you mean "with the CA disconnected"?

excuse my error...

So what specifically happens when you set the CA to Bypass mode in the Throttle menu?

in Bypass mode nothing happens ie; hub motor won't spin when thumb throttle is turned
but
the CA Slider bar goes up & down on the main display in response to the thumb throttle being turned.

Does this mean that when the CA is still connected, but set to Bypass mode, that the "hubmotor runs well"?

Or did you mean "with the CA disconnected"? that's correct, should have read what i was typing was correct.

anyway, my eBike Kit Seller has agreed to test my CAV3.1 and the Crystalyte Controller 48V/40a
when i post it back.

will let you know the outcome.

Hi
my problem has been solved with the help from GRIN TECHNOLOGIES
internal technical support.

the solution:
-the Crystalyte Controller no. 6 plug ( 6 pin female CycleAnalyst CA )
to the Cycle Analyst V3.1 plug ( 6 pin male ).
-the Thumb Throttle plug ( 3 pin male ) to the Crystalyte Controller no. 5 plug
( 4 pin female throttle ).
-in the Cycle Analyst V3.1, the setup in the input throttle mode set to Disbld (WOT)

this works very well, everything is now working, hub motor, thumb throttle & Cycle Analyst v3.1
all is working !

the only thing that does not work is the
Throttle Position Slider on the CA Main Display.
when Thumb throttle is increased, Throttle Position Slider on Main Display
does not show any throttle increase.
however, this is not really an issue.

Back