How do I??

G'day folks
A dumb question for ES mods & gurus.
I've been a member for a while & guess I should have worked it out by now but I must be dumb.
How do I copy a quote in to a thread or reply?

Thanks mate.
That copies the text ok, but how do I create a " xxxx said" said box?

It'd be nice to have a function of the web forum software where you can highlight certain sections to quote rather then quote entire post to edit yourself. Can be useful on long threads. Then if you want multi posts from various posts, they could have a + function where the quotes are saved in a cache, to where when you post, click on the + again (maybe a pull down menu) to add all the selected quotes to the post your writing.

I have seen other styles of quoted, but those styles have been edited by the poster where they just type........
let me just do it

Original auto quote
nicobie said:
Like markz said, It does that automatically.

So as you can see the auto quote (above) gives you a link to the quoted post by clicking on the up arrow inside the quote.
The edited versions (below) dont give you a quick link to any posts, because well its been edited.

Edited quote, I took out
post_id=1653217 time=1619818134 user_id=7059
from
quote=nicobie post_id=1653217 time=1619818134 user_id=7059
and typed in its place
said
nicobie said said:
nicobie said said:

Playing with it some more
SupermanGreenhulkNicobie said many many hulky timezzz said:

An interesting note, I have deleted a post, where someone has already quoted it, left it in a text format but hasnt pressed submit yet. Delete post happens.
A certain amount of time after the post was deleted, that person decides to press submit their post, there is a mysterious quote linked to no where.

As a follow up, another interesting note.
I can add my own words and make it look like its Nicobies words
Original auto quote but I added all my own words.
nicobie said:
markz is a totally cooldude, thats automatically known!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or I can change ONE word
nicobie said:
Like cooldude said, It does that automatically.

Which is why there is an up arrow to the post quoted.

Original quote
nicobie said:

edit
It was interesting to experiment the different ways to play with the quote function. This was all while on a Zoom call :lol:

Back