BBSHD trouble shooting error 30 still after new controller, harness and throttle

ryan1685

100 W
Hey guy its been a long week and I have wasted so much time and money on this ( buying a new kit would have been cheaper at this point, seeing how much time I wasted that I could be wasting on work) , but here we go. I had a battery short issue last week, so to remedy the issue I bought a new controller, throttle and wiring harness and usb flash dongle to by pass the display incase it was the issue, actually two new controllers because I thought the 1st new one was DOA, but I got the same error 30 after installing the second one. Here is some points I want to lay out in point form

1) Tested battery with my new MM and it registered the proper voltage around 58.0v
2) The C18 display turns on and gives me the proper battery voltage but the battery percentage and meter reads zero. ( had this issue last year and was able to remedy the problem with a new controller. But that fix did not work this time.
3) I tried bypassing the screen thinking it may be wonky using the USB dongle method, but the new throttle I installed did not engage the motor.
4) I was able to get the motor to rotate continuously by holding down the peddle assist - button until I engaged walk mode. I hope this reaffirms the fact that there is nothing wrong with the motor or battery bms.
5) I replaced the old wiring harness with a new one. I am getting an error 21 along with the generic error 30, but I have aligned the speed sensor and the red led does illuminate when the light passes it, so I do not know what that is about.

In summation, I think I have verified that the motor still works because I was able to engage walk mode. I think I have also been able to verify that the battery bms is ok .

The only thing that can still be an issue at this point ( based on hundreds of posts I have read) , is I may have gotten to aggressive with the flimsy walmart zip ties and crushed the new wiring harness. But then again, why was I able to move the motor with the display key pad if that was the case and why would the speed sensor cable be damaged ? It is not part of the main wiring harness. It goes from the controller to the speed sensor. And I was only using zip ties on the main wiring harness. I have inspected the new wiring harness in detail and only see I little nick in the sheathing.

Thanks for all your help

Quoted from another forum.

Error 30 is a communication fault between Bafang components on the BBSHD & BBS02 kits. It is a common error and the usual culprit is a communication error between the display and the controller. The Bafang set up requires a display (961,963, 965, DCP10) to function properly and unfortunately this makes the system less reliable.

How to Fix Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 Error 30:

1. Check all the connections and make sure they are connected properly.
2. Move the connections around and check for any twists or bends in the wiring harness.
3. If it still shows error 30 then it could be a faulty component. Move onto the next section to test components.

How to Test Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 for a Faulty Component:

Check the following components:
Display (most commonly at fault)
Wiring (check the wiring loom for damage or crushed wires)
Controller
Speedo

ryan1685 said:
Hey guy its been a long week and I have wasted so much time and money on this ( buying a new kit would have been cheaper at this point, seeing how much time I wasted that I could be wasting on work) , but here we go. I had a battery short issue last week, so to remedy the issue I bought a new controller, throttle and wiring harness and usb flash dongle to by pass the display incase it was the issue, actually two new controllers because I thought the 1st new one was DOA, but I got the same error 30 after installing the second one. Here is some points I want to lay out in point form

1) Tested battery with my new MM and it registered the proper voltage around 58.0v
2) The C18 display turns on and gives me the proper battery voltage but the battery percentage and meter reads zero. ( had this issue last year and was able to remedy the problem with a new controller. But that fix did not work this time.
3) I tried bypassing the screen thinking it may be wonky using the USB dongle method, but the new throttle I installed did not engage the motor.
4) I was able to get the motor to rotate continuously by holding down the peddle assist - button until I engaged walk mode. I hope this reaffirms the fact that there is nothing wrong with the motor or battery bms.
5) I replaced the old wiring harness with a new one. I am getting an error 21 along with the generic error 30, but I have aligned the speed sensor and the red led does illuminate when the light passes it, so I do not know what that is about.

In summation, I think I have verified that the motor still works because I was able to engage walk mode. I think I have also been able to verify that the battery bms is ok .

The only thing that can still be an issue at this point ( based on hundreds of posts I have read) , is I may have gotten to aggressive with the flimsy walmart zip ties and crushed the new wiring harness. But then again, why was I able to move the motor with the display key pad if that was the case and why would the speed sensor cable be damaged ? It is not part of the main wiring harness. It goes from the controller to the speed sensor. And I was only using zip ties on the main wiring harness. I have inspected the new wiring harness in detail and only see I little nick in the sheathing.

Thanks for all your help

Back