Orgainzing bookmarks bar

afzal

100 W
i am relatively new to Endless Sphere. There is a wealth of information available here for free and bookmarks are an easy way to save for referring later. As I getting more familiar with Endless Sphere, number of bookmarks are increasing quickly. Is there a way to organize bookmarks using something similar to folders (like the ones in browser bookmarks) ? I am curious to know how others manage this.

Any note taking app with full text search, tagging and lets you launch your browser clicking on a URL.

Simplenote if you like collections of documents

Evernote is another

Workflowy for hierarchical organizing

Dynalist is my current favourite

Just a thought, you can create a sub folder in your browsers bookmarks and organize them there. Then you can export them to a html document. Then you can edit them by hand or import them back in and add, change or modify them again.
y afzal » Sep 27 2021 11:58am

i am relatively new to Endless Sphere. There is a wealth of information available here for free and bookmarks are an easy way to save for referring later. As I getting more familiar with Endless Sphere, number of bookmarks are increasing quickly. Is there a way to organize bookmarks using something similar to folders (like the ones in browser bookmarks) ? I am curious to know how others manage this.

Thanks for the replies.

i think my original subject was worded wrongly, now fixed. And the message was not clear as I intended. Sorry.

I was referring to the "bookmarks" feature of Endless Sphere - the one in "bookmarks & subscriptions'.

I feel it would have been better to have a folder kind of facility in the Endless Sphere bookmarks so that those can be organized within the Endless Sphere login itself & more helpful when one uses multiple browsers, devices.

I am not complaining, a feedback to the admins in case of any planned upgrades and I am happy with the website as is and thankful to those managing it.

Just FYI all the suggestions I gave

work across all OSs, any browsers and

data automatically backed up & sync'd to all your screen devices.

I'm sure they be receptive to suggestions to the website. It is mostly operated and managed by a few members.
At the moment they have a team in the middle of moving and changing the platform it runs on. I'm sure once they get that operating to satisfaction they would be more receptive modifications.

You can start a thread or just use this one and discuss changes that would be popular. So carry on and express your ideas.

by afzal » Sep 28 2021 12:44am

Thanks for the replies.

i think my original subject was worded wrongly, now fixed. And the message was not clear as I intended. Sorry.

I was referring to the "bookmarks" feature of Endless Sphere - the one in "bookmarks & subscriptions'.

I feel it would have been better to have a folder kind of facility in the Endless Sphere bookmarks so that those can be organized within the Endless Sphere login itself & more helpful when one uses multiple browsers, devices.

I am not complaining, a feedback to the admins in case of any planned upgrades and I am happy with the website as is and thankful to those managing it.

Dynalist looks interesting.

currently just using Notepad++. Don't use my programs skills anymore barely do html anymore. 20yrs from the last time wrote a line of C code.

by john61ct » Sep 27 2021 5:39pm

Any note taking app with full text search, tagging and lets you launch your browser clicking on a URL.

Simplenote if you like collections of documents

Evernote is another

Workflowy for hierarchical organizing

Dynalist is my current favourite

Thanks ZeroEm for the details

ZeroEm said:
You can start a thread or just use this one and discuss changes that would be popular. So carry on and express your ideas.

I thought about posting this in "forum rules & features" forum, but I was unable to create new topic there, hence posted here.

I will exploit the current situation :wink: & add more suggestions,

1. Inside a topic, let the posts be shown as threaded, so topic posts would be seen as hierarchical instead of flat, i.e. even without quoting, it would be clear on the post over which the reply is made.

2. Upon subscribing or bookmarking, let the notification mail include the message text also. Opening the browser to check posts wouldn't be required in that case.

3. Ability to change user name(and maybe with a history of name changes publically available). Initially I joined Endless Sphere with real name, but later realized that almost everyone uses a nickname and now I am stuck with that (unless a new user name is created)

I was earlier associated with Linux Kernel open source community, so my opinion is heavily influenced by previous experience and might not be suited for Endless Sphere, feel free to ignore my suggestions.

I'm sure we don't want a echo chamber. Need new ideas. That is what we do here exchange ideas.

So you don't think my real name is ZeroEm. I quit burning fossil fuels, not counting my propane grill.

Talk to "neptronix" about changing your name or just start using a new one. He runs the software here and is a good Man.

This thread prompted me create a books marks Page just for this site. not only for bookmarks, but links to other things posted in threads that is hard to find later. Out of practice with page design so giving me some much needed practice.

ZeroEm said:
Talk to "neptronix" about changing your name or just start using a new one. He runs the software here and is a good Man.

I was going to do it & it struck me that Justin also uses his real name and decided for status quo. You and Justin are responsible for my user name :wink:

ZeroEm is not my real name, it's Michael. I was making a statement about all the emissions in the world. Because i'm a tree hugger. :!:
Would not worry about the name. People don't know if it's real or not. It's what you do with that name. Build some bicycle Art and display it here.

by afzal » Sep 30 2021 9:33am

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Sep 29 2021 6:02pm

I was going to do it & it struck me that Justin also uses his real name and decided for status quo. You and Justin are responsible for my user name :wink:

ZeroEm said:
ZeroEm is not my real name, it's Michael.

I knew your real name is not ZeroEm, by 'you' I was indicating the reason to rethink user name change (though ironically you suggested ways to change it) and 'Justin' as an example.

And good to know your real name.

Justin is well known. He may have an alter ego. :shock:
I understand were you are coming from with the bookmarks. This site is a wealth of information and experience. It does take some digging to find things. I am wanting to group threads as to offer them to people looking for solutions. Nothing that can be said by me that has already been discussed here somewhere if you can find it.

New things do develop or seem new. New technology is always coming along that lets an old idea be realized or is more applicable now.

My mother was excited last night, watching a show on KLRN. They had documented the first flights across the Pacific Ocean in 1935.
They had to island hope to make it on the fuel. The exciting part was they were using solar panels to power the make shift camps while constructing the runways for the airplanes. The point is solar has been around for a while and is just now becoming well known.

I'm now really after just a bookmarks app but something more inclusive to ES. Hot products, trusted companies, information. Some of the pictures disappear, and websites go away that have been linked to it would be important for me to update my little stash of information and not be static. I don't always remember where I saw something so bookmarking and notes might be a good way to go.

Anyway pour your mind out.

Michael

by afzal » Oct 01 2021 12:32am

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Sep 30 2021 2:19pm

ZeroEm is not my real name, it's Michael.
I knew your real name is not ZeroEm, by 'you' I was indicating the reason to rethink user name change (though ironically you suggested ways to change it) and 'Justin' as an example.

And good to know your real name.

Just a collection of bookmarks becomes very unwieldy.

Your pointing out link rot issues implies narrowing down to apps that actually cache the page contents locally, very valuable but takes lots more storage space.

Look at Evernote.

Consider a URL just one "node" type, others include text snippets, images and your own notes.

I prefer building out my explanatory notes, embedding reference links within that exposition.

Tagging/search becomes essential since a given node often pertains to multiple topics, a hierarchical folder organisation without tags means copying nodes to multiple locations.

I just make a new folder and organize links of multiple folders in them in one big folder.

The main desktop folder is named "The Big Folder"
Folders inside that are "ebike" and "finances" and "keto diet" and "things I gotta do"
Then inside the ebike folder I would have more folders, "battery" and "motors"

Not searchable but I like the idea of a word program like OpenOffice with url links and maybe a note beside it.

Wow! Reminds me of my first year using the internet and discovered information overload.

Site is full of useful information and it is not just static, you can see the interactions and thought process's of trouble shooting. This in itself adds value. Starting to realize the issue of thread contamination that subtracts from the content. Sure most long time users have a better grasp of this than I do. The missing pictures and bad links multiply the deeper you go into the site. These are issues that get me thinking about have a separate thread that condenses all the useful facts from alike threads into one, with links to the original threads from where the content was derived. This is were the Sticky threads came from. Think this should be ongoing. Yes, a lot of work for those who do not have much time. Could have volunteers to work on thread topics and have the experts over see and review them.

Still thinking about it all and if I come up with something workable will share for opinions. This would cutdown on bookmarks dilemma.

The ideal is a well maintained reference wiki, with links to the best discussion threads for more context.

Need to accommodate differences of opinion, branching sub pages to avoid edit wars

Two downsides: reducing the discussion flow with repetitive topics will reduce traffic stats and thus advertising revenues of the forum side.

And managing the wiki really needs paid mods, volunteers usually aren't enough over the long term, would be pretty much a full-time job keeping it all well organised as it grows.

Start at "Home"

Go to the section that might have subject matter on the topic you have a question on it. For example, go to the "Battery Technology" section...

Then, go to..."Sticky thread index for Battery Technology" [the last two words can be Motor Technology, Ebike Technical, etc...]

That would be a good start. Any member can contact a moderator and nominate an exceptional discussion thread to be added to a Stickey Index, in order to make it easier to find...

Here is an index of exceptional custom ebike builds

https://www.electricbike.com/custom-builds-index/

Beautiful content in a nice layout

Any similarly inspiring resources for heavy-hauling cargo rigs?

I just reformatted and installed W10 as I had a "Search-Land" virus that would redirect me to Bing from Yahoo search which I used rarely. I do not know how severe the virus was. And I use the computer for normal sensitive stuff. I got the redirect from using a website to convert files from a webm to mp3, or it might have been a website search and subsequent click on a link, and use of converter for a Youtube Downloader, but Mozilla Firefox has opensource Extensions for that. So I used the Extension.

I had to redo all my bookmarks on the homepage of the Mozilla Firefox using DuckDuckGo.
There is a limit to how many rows you can do through the browsers Settings, but if you go to the address bar and type in about:config you can change it to as many rows as you like. Its good for clicking on sites quickly that you use frequently, instead of going to the Favorites in the pull down menu.

Another sercurity concern I have is some stranger sent me a picture on my cell phone which I in turn hooked up my cell to my computer. So that could be a security concern, nothings come of it though but I realized what I had done after the fact.

As I was in the process of reinstalling Windows 10, I had inserted 2 or 3 usb's thinking I had the file to d/l w10 on the usb. Of course I had to switch the boot order. So I might have gotten the virus placed on those usb sticks.

I had done a free virus scan from ESET website before I had reformatted and installed W10.

----

I will keep this 15 year old 4th gen i5 system for downloads and converting music, and I'm looking into a new computer using either a Ryzen 3600 with a gpu car or theres another good value Ryzen with integrated graphics card for decent price, Viper ram with good v-die, Tomahawk mb from Youtuber Bullzoid recommendations. I'm not an overclocker and dont plan to. Not big into games either. I looked into a 4th gen i7 but they're still quite expensive so why not build a Ryzen for a few hundred bucks more.

They are still selling i5's as capable systems. Nothing wrong with the Ryzen. If you don't play games then you just need enough power and memory (suggest more memory than you need) to run the operating system. Try to match the video card to the monitor size and to the processor. Sorta like bikes match the battery, controller and motor.

I use the bar for book marks for the most used all the time.

Viruses, just need to research them and try to remove them. Virus software does not find them all. Need to use different scanners for more through scans. I only use the free stuff, was into using the others in the past. They eat up your resources and money. When they started scamming everyone for money I quit using them.

Back