E-bikes for the next decades

skydelph

1 µW
‘That dramatic increase in sales seems to herald a dramatic shift in the way people get around. Indeed, Deloitte predicts a 1 percentage point rise in the proportion of people who bike to work from 2019 to 2022. That may not seem like much on the surface, but given the low bases, the difference will be impressive. Tens of billions of additional bicycle rides per year means fewer car trips and lower emissions, with spillover benefits for traffic congestion and urban air quality.
[...]
E-bikes may be gaining popularity, but it is certainly the case that they aren’t for everyone. Many people feel unsafe biking or need a car to haul kids or cargo. But Deloitte says that electrification enables greater experimentation in form factors. Bikes can be reconfigured to carry kids, groceries, or even local deliveries without requiring thighs of steel and Olympian levels of fitness to operate.’

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/16/21016306/electric-bike-ebike-sales-us-numbers-deloitte-cars

Personally, as a biker I was not a fan of e-bike 10 years ago, but things changed for me (maybe I am aging) and around the World as well.

The reported numbers on e-bikes selling look complex to have the entire picture. And becoming an e-bike owner, one doesn’t necessarily need to be an active user of the bike.

Back