Hacking Power Tools to run of Ebike Batteries

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
Wondering if it would be better to install a new controller. I did just that on my Ryobi leaf blower when the trigger electronics went bad. To replace it was over $100 usa so I bought a $20.00 dollar scooter controller with a photometer and now run my blower with that. It works great.

:D :bolt:

I noticed that when a cordless tool got older, the replacement batteries were very expensive. For only a few dollars more you can get a new tool/battery combo.

Over and over I verified this on various tools. Then I realized that they wanted the old tool discarded.

This also means that a decent used tool can be bought very cheaply. I havent experimented with step-down DC/DC converters, but I am very interested in EGO tools. They are advertised as 56V, but have been verified to use 14S, which is 58V when fully charged.

Could you not get any markings on the trigger usually its just generic parts.

This guy takes apart lots of tools https://www.youtube.com/c/arduinoversusevil2025/videos

e-beach said:
Wondering if it would be better to install a new controller. I did just that on my Ryobi leaf blower when the trigger electronics went bad. To replace it was over $100 usa so I bought a $20.00 dollar scooter controller with a photometer and now run my blower with that. It works great.

There is probably some serial data communication between the battery and the tool. This prevents using someone else's battery and they will claim it is a safety feature. This seems to be increasingly common with battery powered tools (and ebikes too). By probing the lines, you may be able to see the data being transmitted. If you can record and copy the data string, it could be spoofed with an Arduino to fool the tool.

calab said:
Could you not get any markings on the trigger usually its just generic parts.....

I found a direct replacement but it was well over $100 usa. I couldn't source any generic part. In any case I like it better now because I can set the power without holding the trigger. If I want more or less power I simply twist the pot. Less fatigue on my hand. The scooter controller is a definite improvement.

Back