Radiation

marty

1 MW
Thinking about buying a property.

Picture a little house at the north top part of Grand Island with wheelchair stuff. Wheelchair ramp, wheelchair shower. Someone living there most defiantly had a wheelchair. Like the house because it is zoned commercial and has two big garages. Dreaming of building a third garage. I want a big shop.

Grand Island is a nice place to live with not a lot of people between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

Friend who lives on Grand Island and and is a expert on all to do with Grand Island looked at house with me. He shows me this web site:
Radioactive hot spots pepper Niagara County
https://www.investigativepost.org/2016/07/05/radioactive-hot-spots-pepper-niagara-county/

Note the dot at the north top of Grand Island. That is about exactly where my dream house is.

I am 60. Wife is a year older. My plan for my life is to live in a nice house on Grand Island with a giant garage shop, some chickens and a electric bicycle. Live and die. Hopefully not die from cancer caused by some radioactive fill under my crawl space. Me and my Grand Island expert both got a minor headache from being in a radioactive hot spot for 20 minutes or so. Headache's might be caused by worrying about getting bit by a radioactive spider and turning into Spider-Man?

Is that https://www.investigativepost.org/ web site real?

Should I buy a meter to measure radiation? What type?

Is this radiation stuff real? Should I forget about this property?

The article doesn't give any hard details on how many Curies or becquerels the area is giving off, only that it's "650 times background" in one area. Unless you can find HARD details, I wouldn't even bother.

Ask the same question to my environmental expert girl. She emails 3 links. I copy:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/schumer-pushes-epa-on-cleanup-plan-for-niagara-grand-island-radioactive-hot-spots/article_219ce5f3-0ceb-5b68-9262-842b445a28f1.html

https://www.schumer.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/schumer-radioactive-hotspots-are-plaguing-niagara-county-and-could-pose-threat-to-residents-health_schumer-demands-epa-immediately-launch-major-effort-to-determine-where-hotspots-are-located-how-dangerous-they-are--develop-remediation-action-plan

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/current/2017/10/09/130091/schumer-slams-epa-for-suddenly-abandoning-radioactive-clean-up-effort-in-niagara-county

Think this radioactive property thing might really be real. Also wondering if our radiation exposure symptoms might also be real? Headache for about a hour.

So no Grand Island house for me.

Think that us humans have been getting sick from stuff in the places we live, ever since some cave men lit a fire in a moldy cave. Asbestos, lead, mold, fiberglass, radon, and lots more things we don't know about.

If you're older, its less likely to be an issue, but still it seems like a bad deal. Some property is cheap and unsold for good reasons.

Wow, I miss WNY so much. I went to UB for grad school and now I’m living in NYC. Buffalo was rent and traffic paradise and such a surprising amount of fun things to do. I’m genuinely bummed I didn’t get into ebikes then. I was on an old steel mtb too! I worked at a Toyota Forklift place during the week and would’ve had lots of “free” help.

Why Grand Island? So many beautiful places out east in the Niagara frontier for similar cost. I went to some fun bonfire parties in Grand Island so I get the attraction. Do more research.

It would be North Tonawanda for me. Or some derelict property in Black Rock that I could fix up :)

It’s a bummer about all the legacy pollution. Love Canal, Niagara Falls etc. Older coworkers of mine had horror stories from what they would do at the steel mills. Such a shame.

liveforphysics said:
If you're older, its less likely to be an issue, but still it seems like a bad deal. Some property is cheap and unsold for good reasons.

I know this all too well. About 5 miles from where I live, there is an underground fire burning in a landfill where some nuclear waste was stored. There are cancer clusters all around the site and in my neighborhood. The Federal government's "solution" was to absolve the company and individuals that are responsible of all liability. Eventually that fire will reach that nuclear waste and everyone will be forcibly evacuated, after which, it is extremely unlikely they'll ever be able to return to their homes.

But you can buy a home here for the same number of hours of labor at median wage as the typical home cost in 1970. I'll be glad to get out of the hood, but I'm not keen on being in debt for 30 years of my life in order to do so because a few dynastic families and conglomerates have come to own virtually all of the property and can get away with charging "whatever the market will bear" for necessities such as shelter. And don't even get me started on property taxes and the fact that ordinary people can't get allodial titles anymore. Lots of homeless people work full time jobs and are priced out of shelter.

So living in or near a radioactive waste dump does have appeal when most other options are not financially feasible... albeit most of the inhabitants didn't know about the issue until AFTER they moved in, given the attempted cover-ups spanning decades, with the property values dropping accordingly.

[youtube]Jc67Lg_rXOY[/youtube]

[youtube]duEMr4VbqbM[/youtube]

if your asking this i think your a fool,depends on radiation type,ie is it alpha beta gamma etc,its schoolboy classroom stuff,get yourself a hat made of tinfoil so any alpha radiation gets turned into neutrons,that way you get radioactive yourself too!

Back