ordered a new laptop $99 and it caught the game over virus (new post)

Last edited:
Just arrived. Looks perfect, new, not an open box.
at 40% chg, so i'm charging it now. screen says welcome, a good sign :bigthumb:
will let you know if anything surprising.

using this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFAg1FkGgMM&t=12s&ab_channel=ExplainingComputers
just ordered a usb flash drive 32gb have 2 old laptops to try
if you watched video, and have comments 8)

Matt Gruber said:
using this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFAg1FkGgMM&t=12s&ab_channel=ExplainingComputers
just ordered a usb flash drive 32gb have 2 old laptops to try
if you watched video, and have comments 8)

Another idea- and it might genuinely be superior, since you have no need for constant internet connection- is to use Linux Lite OS instead; I've been using Linux Mint as my daily driver laptop for college for over a year with open source libre software and I have encountered no problems converting or working on files between it and windows.

Lite os "created to make the transition from Windows.........."
hmmm- i only used windows at the library like 20 years ago.
i'm 99% internet- only use a file on some pdf's that won't go direct in browser. and for a pic now and then.
not sure what i'll do with a new os- only thing i don't like on my new pc is there isn't any page down/up key or page top or page bottom key. there are shortcuts that are NOT short :lol:
do you have one button access to these functions?

Matt Gruber said:
do you have one button access to these functions?
There *probably* is one, or one that you could code into your machine in some kind of .ini file or something, but honestly that's a question for google support boys. But all the code and parts should be in there so it interfaces properly with other keyboards.

2013 chrome acer keyboards have more keys. i was thinking of trying to swap them. they saved $ with less keys :roll:
Anyway, the old browsers are obsolete, no support past 2 years, so i'll try to change the whole os and see what happens (to have a good spare pc)
if it works at all i'll be happy, if it happens to work better than the new pc, then i'll use it daily.
:D

so 1st problem was os flex needs a min. of 4gb ram, and it only has 2gb ram. site refused to download os flex. :roll:
next i learned 1 screw takes the back off :thumb:
next i took the ram out of another c710 that suffered the grey screen of death,
and added 2gb ram to the empty slot .
site did NOT give the no go warning 8) BUT i'm not switching today.
did a quick test running YT on THREE windows at once, and all 3 music vid's played fine (that would lock it up before)
enough for today :twisted:

Just found this - Lacros https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/lacros-in-chrome-os-100-is-a-pretty-capable-chromebook-experience/
and
it is the pick here too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1398gVg4Lk&ab_channel=ChromeComputingTVc
UPDATE
idea is obsolete. the older style fan is too loud, so i would not use it daily anyway. the 2nd idea as an emergency back up is obsolete too, since i could use my cell in an emergency, like to order a replacement.
Learned a lot about recovery :twisted: Passed some time in the hot summer 8)

2015 c720 crashed bad. no screen. dead :shock:
in the course of my study, i learned to press and hold the ESC + refresh, and then press and release PWR.
WORKED :thumb: BUT screen said "chrome os either missing or not installed" :roll:
then a minute or 2 later it booted and i'm on it now :bigthumb:

c720 crashed again, even worse. did not re-boot. then i remembered i was pressing keys at random, so i tried that again :bigthumb: 8)
Now i just changed the USB2/LAN adapter to a new usb3/lan and it works lots faster :shock: Maybe that old gizmo was failing and caused the crashes?
i better try to get a recovery program on my flash drive.

sometimes it says "no internet".
finally found an easy cure. i clear the cookies and it instantly has internet. no rebooting or anything.

Back