ELECTRIFIED VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TRENDS - INFRASTRUCTURE

A recent academic study of EV technology trends and infrastructure implications ( a PDF file):

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ce.utexas.edu%2Fprof%2Fkockelman%2Fpublic_html%2FTRB11PEVtrends.pdf&rct=j&q=ELECTRIFIED%20VEHICLE%20TECHNOLOGY%20TRENDS%20AND%20INFRASTRUCTURE&ei=PmRyTNybD5WTjAeO5ND6CA&usg=AFQjCNHnuJm1es6xBELsb-UBay9_zshWSg&cad=rja

i think this paper is a good indication of how clueless the people are who pontificate about this stuff.

not a clue about how the leaf owner is gonna feel when their vehicle suddenly shuts down when the battery finally is over discharged. there may even be a specialized market for people who can add a powerful generator driven off their car engine to be able to provide roadside assistance to people who end up dead on the freeway. nobody has talked about this at all.

all this talk about how easy it is gonna be to build out the charging infrastructure because we have such uniform and extensive building and electrical codes is beyond stupid. the rules only guarantee that the people building out the infrastructure have a monopoly and will charge what they want and the building departments in every jurisdiction in the country will do what they can to make obscene money off of it too.

the idea that people can get a way with using a 3kW charger for a 25kWh pack is just ignorant. it is not $1-2k for the charging stations that leaf is forcing people to buy through aerovent, the military contractor who has control of the buildout.

i expect the FAILURE of the new generation of EVs to be entirely because there will not be a ubiquitous presence of high power charging stations for users to share because they are gonna make the monopoly even more profitable for the aerovent.

i think the introduction of the BYD may be better since they will be trying harder to make it work here than nissan. i think that is how we are gonna finally be able to get J1772-2010 charge plugs, not from nissan.

all imho, dm

Back