Oh boy.. it finally happened. Ypedal gets a smoker !

Ypedal

Staff member
So after all these years, Batteries, Electric Motors, Controllers, BMS's and chargers..... i finally went thru with it:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330464892845&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:1123

Have been itching to get one for a long long time now and last friday i scratched.

Yep, 2 stroke too !..

Before the ebikes, it was old Honda Trikes, i've almost had them all, 110, 125m, 200, 200E, 200ES, 200S, got, fixed, sold, but my 250SX that i have kept. So i'm not new to gas motors...

I checked out the 4 strokes, in frame, rear rack, friction wheel setup, gearbox, etc.. but could not yet justify 500$+ when i can get my feet wet at 114$ for an ebay special.

I can already see it.. port, polish, bigger carb, better pipe, oh yeah.. I"m not changing over yet since this thing will only work on long trips thru the woods and no way can i use it in the nature parks and in heavy city without problems.. but .. regardless.. here i go !

I thought they were illegal in North America now YPedal MaN (and i dont mean the 66c over the 49cc, ICE bicycles in general are against the law regardless of power output).. the Canadians on the other two stink bike sites are all pissing their pants moaning and groaning as the fines are outrageous if caught HAHA and to top it off the poor clueless bastards are grizzling they have to gotto electric which they all know are useless coz the range is no good and the lead acid batteries all electric bikes use are too heavy! hrmz...Justin at ebikes.ca must be rubbing his hands together... I am guessing though YPedal MaN, its not in your part of Hoserville ? :p

KiM

EDIT: dont forgets ridiculously overpriced under engineered "shift kits" sickbikeparts flog you will definitely need one of them to go with your port/polish & tuned pipe YPedal MaN :lol: Upside you only paid 114 bucks to get a bike now that has seriously more range than any bike on this forum LOL...

Now you can build a bike, just like mine! .... cause I finished a chopper just like yours! :lol:

chopper006.jpg

Hi,

Maybe you can ditch the ICE and use the tank and mounting hardware for Ebike batteries :p :lol:
- IMPROVED GAS TANK FASTENERS AND MOUNTS
Strong gas tank clamps are now packaged which help create a secure bracket mount for the gas tank to the frame of the bicycle. The gas tank mounting bolts measure 1 1/8 (1.125) inches long and a spring loaded gas tank cap is included...

Gas Tank Box #2
* 1 x 2.5L (1/2 Gallon) Glossy Black Finish Gas Tank
* 1 x Spring Loaded Gas Tank Cap

I have a few bikes available... but i think i'm gonna use this one :

I got it like 3 years ago and have been stealing parts from it for various projects, if i dig deep enough in the parts room i'm pretty sure i can rebuild it without spending much.

Bonus is that it has an 8 speed internal geared shimano hub already on it !

Desperately needs front disk brakes, but we'll deal with that when we get there.

I am thinking of making it a semi-recumbent.. for long treks..

Attachments

• MIele Last Call.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 804
  • MIele Last Call small.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,386
ive always had a fascination for the ICE engines and i wont condone you for it. i also have a gasser. but i end up on the e-bike way more often.

heres my gasser roadie:
792f1564.jpg

i dont like it so much because of the size of the frame. im gonna transfer everything to something smaller soon. :mrgreen:

post pics of the finished product ypedal. id like to see what you come up with since your e-bike builds are always top notch. :D

Boooo hiss. Once you get it running, let someone else take it for a 10 mile ride with you riding an electric right in back of them. That'll cure you. You gotta at least go hybrid like JohnRob is doing to get off of this hook.

AussieJester said:
I thought they were illegal in North America now YPedal MaN (and i dont mean the 66c over the 49cc, ICE bicycles in general are against the law regardless of power output)..
Not in Arizona. (there could be municipalities or cities that ban them, but not the state itself). They are limited to under 50cc, though; in fact until recently they were they only motor-assisted bicycles that *were* limited in power (I think AZ finally adopted the typical 750W or 1000W limit other places have; can't remmeber for sure).

amberwolf said:
AussieJester said:
I thought they were illegal in North America now YPedal MaN (and i dont mean the 66c over the 49cc, ICE bicycles in general are against the law regardless of power output)..
Not in Arizona. (there could be municipalities or cities that ban them, but not the state itself). They are limited to under 50cc, though; in fact until recently they were they only motor-assisted bicycles that *were* limited in power (I think AZ finally adopted the typical 750W or 1000W limit other places have; can't remmeber for sure).

Arizona is a bit further south than good ole Canada where they is ilegal though AW eh... LoL... :p

KiM

Oh yeah, I forgot you were a fellow canucklehead. Yeah totally illegal for us. But they can't fine you if they can't find you :D So stay off the streets.

AussieJester said:
Arizona is a bit further south than good ole Canada where they is ilegal though AW eh... LoL... :p
Arizona is still part of North America, though. ;)

amberwolf said:
AussieJester said:
Arizona is still part of North America, though. ;)

When the person i am referring to is from Canada it is a dig at them to call them a "North American"
IOW North American = Canadian... :wink: Same as calling a Aussie a New Zealander an insult
to the Aussie funnili haha, if tables are turned and the Kiwi is called an Aussie the most likely say nothing
and take it as a compliment they weren't picked as a Sheep rooter... hehee... :p so...does
it work like that with you Hosers? or do the Americans like being mistaken for Canooks? :p hehe

KiM

That's one problem with Asperger's--I miss a lot of conversational subtleties like that. :( I tend to look at (or hear) the words and take them literally, with their "true" (specific) meanings, rather than their colloquial or emotionally-laden ones. Makes for great analytical thinking sometimes, but terrible conversations.

amberwolf said:
That's one problem with Asperger's--I miss a lot of conversational subtleties like that. :( I tend to look at (or hear) the words and take them literally, with their "true" (specific) meanings, rather than their colloquial or emotionally-laden ones. Makes for great analytical thinking sometimes, but terrible conversations.

Alot is lost because its text, if you heard me say and saw the expression when said there would be no doubt what was meant buddy haha Usually though, when i address YPedal MaN you can safely bet i am having a light hearted dig at him 99% of the time AW LOL

KiM

Look at this bull shit! Makes me super happy to pay taxes so they can hire some retard to come up with this crap.

Motor Vehicle Act

MOTOR ASSISTED CYCLE REGULATION
Contents

1 Motor
2 Wheels
3 Motor shut-off requirement
4 Generators
5 Brake performance requirement
6 Drive System and equipment securement
7 Electrical Terminals
8 Motor Vehicle Act-Motor Driven Cycles

Motor
1 (1) A motor assisted cycle must have no more than one motor for propulsion.

(2) The motor of a motor assisted cycle must

(a) be an electric motor,

(b) have a continuous power output rating of not more than 500 watts, and

(c) not be capable of propelling the motor assisted cycle at a speed greater than 32 km/hr on level ground.

Wheels
2 (1) The wheels of a motor assisted cycle must be 350 mm or more in diameter.

(2) A motor assisted cycle must not have more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground.

Motor shut-off requirement
3 (1) A motor assisted cycle must be equipped with a mechanism, separate from the accelerator controller, that

(a) allows the driver to turn the motor on and off from a normal seated position while operating the motor assisted cycle, or

(b) prevents the motor from turning on or engaging before the motor assisted cycle attains a speed of 3 km/hr.

(2) The motor of a motor assisted cycle must turn off or disengage if

(a) the operator stops pedaling,

(b) an accelerator controller is released, or

(c) a brake is applied.

Generators
4 A motor assisted cycle must not be equipped with a generator, alternator or similar device powered by a combustion engine.

Brake performance requirement
5 (1) A motor assisted cycle must be equipped with brakes on all wheels or on each axle.

(2) The braking system must be capable of bringing the motor assisted cycle, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/hr, to a full stop within 9 m from the point at which the brakes were applied.

Drive system and equipment securement
6 The motor drive system and all energy storage devices of a motor assisted cycle must be secured to prevent movement in any direction relative to the motor assisted cycle while the motor assisted cycle is operating.

Electrical terminals
7 All electrical terminals on a motor assisted cycle must be completely insulated or covered.

NOTE: In addition to the above the requirements the bicycles must be marked in accordance with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Motor Vehicle Act 182.1-184 Motor assisted cycles
182.1 (1) A person who is under the age of 16 years commits an offence if that person operates a motor assisted cycle on a highway.

(2) A parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years commits an offence if the parent or guardian authorizes or knowingly permits the person to operate a motor assisted cycle on a highway.

(3) The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia may make regulations respecting motor assisted cycles including, without limitation, regulations prescribing

(a) the criteria that must be met by a device in order for it to qualify as a motor assisted cycle for the purposes of this Act,

(b) the requirements that must be met in relation to operators of, and equipment attached to, motor assisted cycles, and

(c) restrictions on what may be attached to or carried on a motor assisted cycle.

Rights and duties of operator of cycle
183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.

(2) A person operating a cycle

(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless authorized by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,

(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless authorized to do so by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,

(c) must, subject to paragraph (a), ride as near as practicable to the right side of the highway,

(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,

(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,

(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle,

(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped, and

(h) must not ride a cycle on a highway where signs prohibit their use.

(3) Nothing in subsection (2) (c) requires a person to ride a cycle on any part of a highway that is not paved.

(4) Despite section 165, a person operating a cycle who intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where there is more than one lane from which left turns are permitted must

(a) cause the cycle to approach the intersection in the lane closest to the right side of the highway from which a left turn is permitted,

(b) keep the cycle to the right of the line that divides the lane referred to in paragraph (a) from the lane immediately to the left of that lane,

(c) after entering the intersection, turn the cycle to the left so that it will leave the intersection to the right of the line referred to in paragraph (b), and

(d) when practicable, turn the cycle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.

(5) A person must not ride a cycle, skate board, roller skates, in-line roller skates, sled, play vehicle or other similar means of conveyance when it is attached by the arm and hand of the rider or otherwise to a vehicle on a highway.

(6) A cycle operated on a highway between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise must have the following equipment:

(a) a lighted lamp mounted on the front and under normal atmospheric conditions capable of displaying a white light visible at least 150 m in the direction the cycle is pointed;

(b) a red reflector of a make or design approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the purposes of this section;

(c) a lighted lamp, mounted and visible to the rear, displaying a red light.

(7) Despite any other provision of this Act or the regulations, a cycle may be equipped with a flashing red light that is of a make or design approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the purposes of this section.

(8) A cycle operated on a highway must be equipped with a brake that will enable the person operating the cycle to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level and clean pavement.

(9) If an accident occurs by which a person or property is injured, directly or indirectly, owing to the presence or operation of a cycle on a highway or a sidewalk, the person in charge of the cycle must

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident,

(b) render all possible assistance, and

(c) give to anyone sustaining loss or injury, and to any peace officer who is present, his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of the cycle, and if the cycle has been licensed and registered, the licence or registration number of the cycle.

(10) If an accident involving the presence or operation of a cycle on a highway or a sidewalk, either directly or indirectly causes death or injury to a person or damage to property causing aggregate damage apparently exceeding $100, the person in charge of the cycle must immediately report the matter to a police officer or a person designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia to receive those reports, and must furnish information, including that referred to in section 67 (8), respecting the accident as may be required by the police officer or person designated.

(11) A report made under this section is without prejudice and is for the information of the Provincial or municipal police, and must not be open to public inspection.

(12) The fact the report has been made is admissible in evidence solely to prove compliance with this section, and the report is admissible in evidence on the prosecution of any person for the offence of making a false statement in it.

(13) Despite subsections (11) and (12), a peace officer may, when giving evidence in a proceeding, refer to a report prepared by him or her under subsection (9) or (10) to refresh his or her memory.

(14) A person must not operate a cycle

(a) on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or

(b) on a sidewalk without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the sidewalk.

(15) If a person is convicted of an offence under this Act in respect of his or her riding or operating a cycle, the court may, in addition to or in place of any penalty otherwise prescribed, order the cycle seized, and on the expiry of that period the person entitled to it may again have possession of the cycle.

(16) For the purpose of seizing and impounding a cycle under an order made under subsection (15), a peace officer may enter any place or building in which the cycle is located.

(17) A person operating a cycle on a highway must signify

(a) a left turn by extending the person's left hand and arm horizontally from the cycle,

(b) a right turn by doing either of the following:

(i) extending the person's left hand and arm out and upward from the cycle so that the upper and lower parts of the arm are at right angles;

(ii) extending the person's right hand and arm horizontally from the cycle, and

(c) a stop or decrease in speed by extending the person's left hand and arm out and down from the cycle.

Bicycle safety helmets
184 (1) A person commits an offence if that person operates or rides as a passenger on a cycle on a highway and is not properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that

(a) is designated as an approved bicycle safety helmet under subsection (4) (a), or

(b) meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (4) (b).

(2) A parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years commits an offence if the parent or guardian authorizes or knowingly permits the person to operate or ride as a passenger on a cycle on a highway if that person is not properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that

(a) is designated as an approved bicycle safety helmet under subsection (4) (a), or

(b) meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (4) (b).

(3) A person who is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) or (2) is liable to a fine of not more than $100.

(4) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(a) designating a helmet as an approved bicycle safety helmet for the purposes of this section;

(b) prescribing standards and specifications for bicycle safety helmets.

(5) Regulations made under subsection (4) (b) may adopt by reference, in whole or in part, standards or specifications published by a national or international standards association, as amended from time to time.

(6) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(a) providing for and requiring the identification and marking of bicycle safety helmets;

(b) exempting any person or class of persons from the requirements of this section and prescribing conditions for those exemptions

AussieJester said:
Alot is lost because its text, if you heard me say and saw the expression when said there would be no doubt what was meant buddy haha
Actually it would probably be *harder* for me in person. :( Unless I either know someone very well, or they are a LOT like someone I do know very well (in the way they express themselves, etc), then I typically fail to get lots and lots of emotional content in person, even what might be bloody obvious to someone without Asperger's. I'm much better than many people with it, having been forced by years of customer service to learn how to conciously read people, but it does not work all the time, as everyone is different. (actually, it only barely works much of the time, and an extended conversation in person could easily result in me eventually angering the other person over repeated misinterpretations of their emotional content/body language).

Ypedal said:
I am thinking of making it a semi-recumbent.. for long treks..

Thats a nice bike, at least you will be able to travel further and enjoy the ride and make less emissions than in a caged vehicle, Just gotta wear earplugs or have the music going

lmao... you guys crack me up.

Out here i don't think i'll have a problem with the popo, but i certainly won't push my luck and only use it down country roads.. i have enough electric rigs to ride in proximity to home, within the city is all in a 30 km radius and well within battery range.

I hear alot of US vacationers put canadian flags on their luggage when going outside the US.. :lol: .. i'll leave it at that hehe..

No doubt, i'll be getting a friction drive and a 4 stroke kit down the line, but had to start somewhere.

I was going to order a kit from DAX but the guy only takes money orders.. like wtf.. this is 2010 people.. electronic funds are the only way to fly lol.

jeez where do i start.been riding ice bicycles for aahh since 2001.you dont go farther than electric.say a 36v 20ah will go along way.they are not efficient.i have a great mitsubishi 43cc and staton gear box for ya ypedal=got anything to trade?

i was always mixin fuel and carrying gas with me.those happy times are junk.but with alot of work, not to bad....ive built over 18 of them.plus i built a hybrid pedal gas and electric,and tried to charge on the fly,no such luck.
but they are fun to mess with. coming from someone who drag raced a 1974 750 kawa triple back in the day.can usa only thing different is the people who make it different,has nothin to do with the land that will devour all the humans who think its different. :lol:View attachment carbidelamp002.jpg

beast775 said:
jeez where do i start.been riding ice bicycles for aahh since 2001.you dont go farther than electric.say a 36v 20ah will go along way.

I beg to differ sir, slap a 5 liter can as a fuel tank on the rear rack and see how
it compares to a 20ah 36v ping for range... :lol: :p

Sorted the brother out with a 66cc few weeks back all up and running an hes happy with it, sooooooo gutless
compared to my cruiser though, i could cover 100m before he made 25 i reckon haha likely cover 100m
and stop before he made 70m LOL Would still LOVE to get a ICE powered bicyle setup fact they are
straight out ilegal here and not stealthy like my 'legal' electric setup is... (in case any Perth Policeman are reading the forums....you do a superb job fellas keep up the excellent work... :mrgreen: ) 12hp watercooled 47cc pocket bike motor with a nice tuned pipe and shift kit would be the shot IMO...

KiM

yes your right but i will tell you somethin.carrying gas stinks,i was referring to the 16 oz fuel tank? that comes with these ice kits well 1.5 litres,been there done that to many times to count.will be about the same as a 36v 20ah.the run times on a happy time ice is grossely over exaggerated.i cant spell today,broke a molar last night chewin on my frock. :D thought it looked like pie.

Back