Tron - prone recumbent ebike

veloman

10 MW
So yeah, am I the only one who thought of that? I've thought about doing a prone recumbent build - extremely aero and low, but with the position that would allow high peak pedaling output. Comfort is not a goal here. Dropping jaws as you fly people is.

veloman said:
So yeah, am I the only one who thought of that? I've thought about doing a prone recumbent build - extremely aero and low, but with the position that would allow high peak pedaling output. Comfort is not a goal here. Dropping jaws as you fly people is.

Well actually, you might be the first to do a recumbent, but the prone position on a bicycle has been done...

[youtube]d-akkbNyiXE[/youtube]

I believe HiGHSiDE Hyena was very excited about this bicycle when he first saw it
he mumbled something about building a tandem bike like it :roll: :mrgreen:

KiM

After watching that video.... my interest has dropped considerably. lol

veloman said:

Yup...that seemed to be the common consensus when it was first upped here ages ago
as effective and 'revolutionary' as it maybe, the riding position IMHO looks far from comfortable and
lets be honest, it looks a bit like the rider is 'presenting' themself for some non bicycling activities
...this is what i believe sparked Hyenas interest in the design :mrgreen: Where is that HiGHSiDe Hyena
hes been scarce last few weeks, i know he was deported to New Zealand for something or other but
i figured he would of managed to jump a cargo ship and snuck back to OZ by now.... :mrgreen:

KiM

haha yeah I'm around, just been pre-occupied with selling and moving house. From friday I'll be without internets for a few weeks so try not to miss me too much :p

AussieJester said:
lets be honest, it looks a bit like the rider is 'presenting' themself for some non bicycling activities

Funny stuff and veloman, did I see that bike in a batman movie?

I think something like it was in Batman. That movie actually gave me the idea that I'd LOVE to one day build something that transforms from a normal upright bike, into a full on low racer streamliner. Sprint up to 30mph, then pull a lever and transform into the Varna Diablo, accelerating up to 80, 100+ mph with some electrics. Imagine seeing that on the road, that would be badass.

veloman said:

+1 I've thought about building a bike in this position for a number of years, but that is done with now. I'd never ride with my A$$ popped up in the air like that, let alone with the little diaper-seat that looks like he has tucked his manhood between his legs. Plus his panties are giving him reverse camel toe, kinda put me off my feed. :|

-JD

AussieJester said:
veloman said:

Well actually, you might be the first to do a recumbent, but the prone position on a bicycle has been done...

[youtube]d-akkbNyiXE[/youtube]

I believe HiGHSiDE Hyena was very excited about this bicycle when he first saw it

KiM

Tandem as in one on top?? :D :D

aussiejester said:

Gordo said:
Tandem as in one on top?? :D :D

Apparently so yes :mrgreen:

Riding behind one of these with hyena on it would be an experience to forget, his
dress wafting up in the breeze as he pedals along, yes indeedy...we would be seeing
more of hyena than any human should have too :shock:...condolences to Missus Hyena :mrgreen: :p :lol:
(poor hyena has no interwebs for 2 weeks he's moving house so he won't be able to replay HAHAHA..
hyena gay; hyena cross dresser; hyena male order bride<--for the Google Botz :p)

KiM

veloman said:

LOL.. that's what i was saying. Looks like something out of Borat.

Whenever I see a discussion on the merits of prone over recumbent positions, be it related to vehicles or aircraft (where drag reduction is even more critical) I can't help but ask myself one simple question: 'If I crash, what would I rather smash up, my head or my feet?'

It seems a no-brainer to me to go recumbent over prone any day, at any speed. I've fallen off my recumbent bike a few times and it's really no big deal, as 99% of the time you hit the road on your backside and slide. Being low to the ground substantially reduces the severity of cuts and bruises too (when compared to falling off an upright bike).

Jeremy

birds fly head first,
fish swim head first,
horses run head first,
humans run leaning forward..

its natural...

recumbent position is good for driving and watching tv.... :mrgreen:

i do ride a streetluge feet first,
no good way to stop head first, might hit a curb with my head and die... :D

I fly a hanglider head first, just like a bird...

sk8norcal said:
I fly a hanglider head first, just like a bird...

I just knew there was another reason that I fly a paramotor, feet first, rather than a hang glider............ 8)

Jeremy

My eyes and head are not on my neck properly to watch the road in a prone position. We are not built like fish and birds :mrgreen:

My eyes and head are not on my neck properly to watch the road in a prone position. We are not built like fish and birds :mrgreen:

Back