Ultimate Portable PC with FREE Wi-Fi and 3G service?!!?

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
WOW! This looks sounds too good to be true, I can still remember reading in Popular Science about the new technology for these Kindle E-Reader screens, and now I have seen a version that appears to have everything I was going to look for in a Ultra Moble Portable PC, and more!

All I would want to do with this is go on-line and up-date Facebook, do E-Mail and maybe minor things like down-load some pix from my camera to post here and other places, if I am not mistaken this will do all this, AND it's just $189??!?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wirele...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1281804562&pf_rd_i=B002GYWHSQ

big-viewer-3G-01-lrg._V188696038_.jpg

Anyone have one and can you confirm that the screen really doesn't wash-out in direct sunlight?

Thanks!!

Here is the part that most interests me (from amazon ...):

New WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle's new web browser is based on WebKit to provide a better web browsing experience. Now it's easier than ever to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle. Experimental web browsing is free to use over 3G or Wi-Fi. The experimental web browser is currently not available for some customers outside the U.S. Check your country.

Listen to Music & Podcasts
Transfer MP3 files to Kindle to play as background music while you read. You can quickly and easily transfer MP3 files via USB by connecting Kindle to your computer.

Not to mention they list battery life in DAYS and WEEKS!

If I can just use this to keep track of my adventures as I travel around the country in the spring and upload pix and such (even with a monochrome type screen I wouldn't care) this would be a dream come true! The perfect travel PC for me! :D

I don't own one.

From the Amazon comments:
"This is a reading device. It does other things like surf the web, read to you out loud, play MP3's - but none of those other things does it do well. I had visions of checking my email on vacation and visiting my favorite websites. After a few minutes on the browser those visions evaporated. Other people said this same thing but for some reason I didn't believe them entirely. The person at Amazon who came up with the term EXPERIMENTAL should be given a raise; that is exactly what these non-reading features are. Do not buy this device for any other reason than reading books. As a reader this thing is exceptional. "

I still might buy one.

Wow, that's a pretty clear message, but like you said, it might still be worth it. If I am not paying for it, who cares if it's like the worst dial-up and takes minutes for what I am used to getting done in seconds on a PC.

No one else offers FREE access to 3G and Wi-Fi that I am aware of, and I am going to guess that they have some kind of deal similar to a "trackphone" where they use most any company's towers, so ultimate coverage.

I will still use my blackberry as a cell, but for everything else, I can't imagine this wouldn't be useful. I can imagine apps or hacks being available for it if they aren't already, imagine having a glare proof screen to display your E-Bike data (Wattmeter, Speedo, Tripmeter etc.) and of-course if it is back-lit it will draw more power, but that is what a nice healthy main battery is for! :wink:

LI-ghtcycle said:
...who cares if it's like the worst dial-up and takes minutes for what I am used to getting done in seconds on a PC.
Slow information in a mobile platform is usually useless and always frustrating.

OTOH, if they made an ad-based browser (like the Netzero "free" dialup biz-model) and made it fast, that could be viable.

In my case, I would just want to check email and maybe upload photo or two in a day, so maybe I would fire it up and then start making a meal so that I don't notice. :wink:

Buy an iphone. The kindle screen is really good for reading books, and it has like two weeks of battery life, but it's not good for much else.

Also, this topic should be moved from ebike general discussion, as it has nothing to do with ebikes.

Until the site admins make an off topic chit chat forum, this general discussion forum is as best as we have.

Yep, everything you want to do, can be done very well with most smartphones. Lots of people replace them as soon as a new one comes on the market, you can find very good deals on E-bay. I prefer HTC (either windows mobile or Android) to I-Phone, but that is a only a matter of personnal requirements. Mine has a GPS, very usefull on some rides, can attach GPS data to pics or vids, makes HD movies, receives live mail etc... almost infinite possibilities just like a portable computer.

Only one search:http://cgi.ebay.com/HTC-Touch-Diamo...0596493109?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4154dab335

As already mentioned, the Kindle is a very nice ebook reader, but the browser is severely lacking. I don't remember off hand, but I doubt it supports flash or javascript (one of those is likely necessary for you to check your email), and since it lacks a USB host port or a memory card slot (pretty sure it still doesn't have one externally accessible..at least the first gen didn't and I haven't heard anything saying they added one), there would be no way to access the files from your camera, even if the browser did support the services necessary to upload those files to whatever site you use. I would recommend picking up a cheap netbook instead, for the needs you mentioned, and tethering your blackberry for web access.

The Kindle 3 does have a micro USB that says it's for connecting to a PC, but it's a good point you make. I'm really wanting that E-Ink screen that doesn't get washed out in sunlight (a major annoyance to me) and I'll have to check one out in person, I understand that it's not really designed to be a portable PC, but if I can make it work as even a very limited version, and I can figure out a way to up-load pictures, it would be idea for me since I don't plan to write huge amounts of text, and I really think I prefer the feel of a "keyboard" that it has over a touch screen, but I think I will have to check one out at Best Buy.

My concerns are the power hungry tendencies of smart phones and the obligatory wireless plan that goes with it being more than I can afford to use to access the internet. My current blackberry I got used to use just as something to run apps that could work with out a carrier, however I would like to have a basic plan to use it for emergencies or very sparingly while on the road. I have very limited knowledge of smart phones in general, but if I can help it, I will never have another monthly cell bill again, I can use my trackfone to fill the gap and have the blackberry strictly as a "cycle computer/watt meter/etc." with apps that don't require a monthly plan if needed.

I wonder if it would be possible to get this limited functionality with a Kindle so that I can avoid the things I don't like about most smart phones, the other problem I have with the smart phones is they have a lot of extras that I will most likely never use, and these extras burn through the power so fast my friend's Droid phone can't even keep going for long trips in his car (when using it as a GPS) with out a special high amp cigarette lighter adapter.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking that I can get the basics with a Kindle, but if I can figure out a way to do this with the same screen size as the Kendle 3 with free Wi-Fi and 3G, then I think it would be worth it to me.

I just found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mQi3Lr3n9g about the Kindle 3 being used for blogging and google maps! Also, there is someone talking about using hack/app called jailbreak to consistently use it to check Gmail! That's 2 outta 3, if I end up having to use a library computer to up-load pix from my camera, that would work too, but I think I should be able to at least store things on the Kindle if not directly transfer them from the camera. :)

Oops, I forgot to mention it uses the AT&T 3G network, and I am seeing more youtube vids of people using it as a browser with no more lag than a mediocre lap-top on Wi-Fi. 8)

LI-ghtcycle said:
The Kindle 3 does have a micro USB that says it's for connecting to a PC
Again, I haven't really paid attention to it since the first generation, but the vast majority of USB devices can only be used in USB client mode (connecting to a computer), not USB host mode (connecting peripherals to it). That would be a requirement to transfer pictures to it from your phone. Another thing to note is that the claimed battery life is most likely assuming only occasional use of the 3G and wifi radios, both of which are huge power hogs.

x88x said:
Again, I haven't really paid attention to it since the first generation, but the vast majority of USB devices can only be used in USB client mode (connecting to a computer), not USB host mode (connecting peripherals to it). That would be a requirement to transfer pictures to it from your phone. Another thing to note is that the claimed battery life is most likely assuming only occasional use of the 3G and wifi radios, both of which are huge power hogs.

I've got a Kindle 3, and that's the case. When connected it works like a dumb USB drive, just as a camera or phone does. You can put files on it, but they are hidden once it's ejected, and you can't use the native functions when it's not. The browser does not support file uploading and there are other limitations too, notably that it won't open anything in a second window. It can be used to check and post from Gmail, but very clumsily and, obviously, no attachments.

The keyboard is really only good for inputting a word or two. There are no punctuation keys (symbols and numbers have to be picked from a table) and the five-way button doesn't always navigate web pages as you would expect. "Experimental" is putting it kindly, and I don't expect it to improve, because that would take it onto a totally different niche.

But for what it is intended to do, it is superb. The screen is a revelation. For those old enough to remember their first sight of an original Mac - even more impressive that that was at the time. I've looked at it through a magnifying glass and just can't see the individual pixels. Best of all there is no backlight and no refresh. holding a static image draws no power at all. That's the secret of the long battery life. It really feels just like paper, and if you have been doing a lot of screen-reading your eyes will bless you. 8)

Thanks for the info JennyB!

I think I will wait and see if the expand it's web capabilities between now and my spring trip, and even then if they don't expand it and it still has the free Wi-Fi & 3G built in, I will probably still get one as I love the idea of a screen that doesn't wash-out in sunlight, I wonder if it could be usable at night with some form of small LED light.

I'd like to know when you use it with google maps how much of that information is stored, as in when I zoom or navigate around the map if it's down-loaded a portion of the map and stored it in memory, or if it's all being pulled off the net?

Would be great if you could store a map or 2 and just pull them up as needed while on the road.

I wonder if they would ever make it possible to use an external keyboard? I can live with the built-in keyboard, like with my blackberry, I prefer those over touchscreen keys of an IPad or IPhone.

The main thing that even got my interest is the free 3G and Wi-Fi! :D

LI-ghtcycle said:
I wonder if it could be usable at night with some form of small LED light.
Should be fine, yeah. Almost like using a book-light, but a little more reflective.

Another device you might be interested (for the screen anyway) is the Notion Ink Adam. The display has a few different modes, one of which turns off the backlight and actually reflects the ambient light through the display. I've seen videos of it demoed and it looks great. No free internets though. :p

LI-ghtcycle said:
Isnt Wi-Fi free on any device .....if you are in a "Free hot spot" !
And its unlikely that with free 3G you are ever going to get more than limited functionality.... or it would kill the cell phone business !

Hillhater said:
LI-ghtcycle said:
And its unlikely that with free 3G you are ever going to get more than limited functionality.... or it would kill the cell phone business !
The free 3G is data only, iirc. For the wi-fi, iirc it uses the AT&T Hotspots, which normally require either payment or an AT&T account to connect to.

x88x said:
For the wi-fi, iirc it uses the AT&T Hotspots, which normally require either payment or an AT&T account to connect to.

i assume it can use free wi-fi also as with lap tops, smart phones etc. Plenty of those around in cafe's , Malls, hotels etc.
A cheap smart phone ( I bought an unlocked Android phone for $130 new !) for net access use in free Wi-Fi spots, with a pre-pay "Go" type sim for infrequent use, would seem to be a viable option. ??

Yeah, sorry, I meant the 'free wi-fi' that they advertise with it. IIRC it should be able to connect to any 802.11g wi-fi connection as long as it's open or you have the authentication info.

Hillhater said:
LI-ghtcycle said:

Yeah, I know it sounds insane, but hey, if I can make it work, and not pay a monthly bill I'll be a happy camper! :D

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against smart phones, but I have be majorly burned in the past with a cell company, and I just hate the idea of being on a plan again, paying something monthly. I remember telling people that eventually cell phone service would come with unlimited minutes and everyone thought I was crazy, well now we can have free internet access & 3G?!

If I hadn't seen the ad that Amazon sent me, I would have never even had a passing interest in the Kindle to be honest, but I think it's going to be something I should be able to pick-up pretty reasonably cheap come spring, unless something else better comes out!

My other problem has been I don't like the size/style or functionality of most Table PC's. I was originally looking for an older style "Tablet" PC that would just do the most basic stuff, and it really doesn't exist. In a perfect world, I would have a Tablet PC that is the screen size of the Kindle 3 (sure it would be thicker & heavier, but I don't mind that) and allow me to just up-load a few picks, put it on a table on a built-in stand and allow me to use my full sized USB ergonomic keyboard, and I figured I would end up connecting on the road through some kind of phone service when free Wi-Fi wouldn't be available.

I have checked out the IPad, and I really don't like the size or the touch screen, and for a while I was considering an Apple Mini Mac(the tiny box that you can get a screen and keyboard to use it like a PC) and I thought maybe Ebay would have some kind of mini monitor I could use with it, but if I can forgo all that bulk and a monthly service fee, it could be worth it, and use a smart phone to fill the gap if I want to do something more on occasion.

I just wish I could get something along the lines of a Trackfone with a web capable smart phone. Anyone know of anything along these lines that exists?

LI-ghtcycle said:
I just wish I could get something along the lines of a Trackfone with a web capable smart phone. Anyone know of anything along these lines that exists?
Check out boost mobile, the CDMA versions... $50/mo all-you-can-eat: text voice data, no contract.

CDMA runs on the sprint towers, not the nextel towers, so true nationwide coverage.

LI-ghtcycle said:
In a perfect world, I would have a Tablet PC that is the screen size of the Kindle 3 (sure it would be thicker & heavier, but I don't mind that) and allow me to just up-load a few picks, put it on a table on a built-in stand and allow me to use my full sized USB ergonomic keyboard, and I figured I would end up connecting on the road through some kind of phone service when free Wi-Fi wouldn't be available.
Did you check out the Notion Ink Adam? Because that's basically what it is.

You dont have to be "on a plan" these days , or even pre-pay every month.
you can buy $20 of air time ( Calls , data, text, Email etc) and use it when you want.
EG, once the sim is activated, you pay nothing until you use the phone, then it can be as little a $1 ... for all the use you can fit in in 24hrs,...then no more costs until the next time you decide to use it.

x88x said:
LI-ghtcycle said:
In a perfect world, I would have a Tablet PC that is the screen size of the Kindle 3 (sure it would be thicker & heavier, but I don't mind that) and allow me to just up-load a few picks, put it on a table on a built-in stand and allow me to use my full sized USB ergonomic keyboard, and I figured I would end up connecting on the road through some kind of phone service when free Wi-Fi wouldn't be available.
Did you check out the Notion Ink Adam? Because that's basically what it is.

Oh yeah sorry I did pass it with out looking, been busy in the garage getting my bike together. :wink:

That Notion Ink is incredible! I have to wonder with all the bells and whistles (GPS, accelerometer) it might burn through power pretty fast, and I wonder what it will run to have 3G service. I would love something like that on the road, however, I might have to wait until I get a bit better situated financially before I can spend $500.

I know that is still a great deal for all that it has, just that no monthly charges and a $189 Kindle 3 sounds much more affordable. Thank you for that link! Maybe I will get lucky and find a used one cheap in the spring. (yeah like that's going to happen! :roll: :lol: )

Back