Re: London And England Rioting

Joseph C.

100 kW
I think this justifies its own thread. I hope everybody on the forum that lives there is safe.

This all started because of the corruption of the police force who murdered another civilian a few days ago. People had enough.

It seems though that a rather large group, perhaps coordinated, is responsible for razing the city. The rioting has spread to other cities in England and this isn't looking good.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=207192798388318292131.0004aa01af6748773e8f7&msa=0&ie=UTF8&ll=51.536086%2C-0.056305&spn=0.39294%2C0.630341&z=10&source=embed

Hopefully it is Miles and Tiberius and Jozzer and Burtie leading the charge.

Every corrupt cop should be dragged into the street, splashed with gasoline and burned alive while their family watches. That makes a deterrent to corruption that works.

Keep the rioting up. Make sure it never happens again.

Here in Portland, OR. of all places, we seem to be having 2 people shot by police per year for the last few years. The person to get shot is usually threatening the cop with a weapon and either a minority ( black ) or mentally ill/homeless.

There are protests, but nothing like what's happening over there. It just keeps happening. What a shame.

neptronix said:
Keep the rioting up. Make sure it never happens again.

Here in Portland, OR. of all places, we seem to be having 2 people shot by police per year for the last few years. The person to get shot is usually threatening the cop with a weapon and either a minority ( black ) or mentally ill/homeless.

There are protests, but nothing like what's happening over there. It just keeps happening. What a shame.

So true we can say that for my city too Ottawa Gatineau, but to have such a big Riot like that is pretty sad the busnisses and the innoncent people have to pay for that again

No need for it at all. There are plenty of ways of demonstrate far more effectively than rioting.

It probably will make the situation much worse and give the police more powers. If they couldn't use water canyons and tear gas before - they will be able to now. Backed of course, as always, by the political class of self-serving morons.

thank god we have world where kids can burn down buildings and torch cars to express there infantile needs to smash things and not be shot dead by the authorities as they would in china or syria.

this is because 26 year old man lost in a shoot out with the police, right?

for this dozens of businesses are burned out, never to return, the people who had built the businesses and invested their time and money in it will now be ruined.

why don't the kids burn down there own houses? where will the people go who lost everything when their places were burned down? how will they get started over? sounds like the kids have a real concern for their fellow citizens alright.

maybe it is good you can sympathize with them. most of us cannot.

It was happening within a mile of me......

Joseph C. said:
This all started because of the corruption of the police force who murdered another civilian a few days ago. People had enough.

The trigger seems to have been the arrest of an alleged gang leader which ended with his death. I don't see that this has anything to do with police corruption? Just an operation that went wrong AFAIK. The rioting is mostly opportunistic criminality, or simply fun, for a generation that don't really have much to lose....

I thought you were a journalist Joseph......?

aha......... you know, they never mention that on the news here.

Then screw those kids!
I hear that unemployment amongst the young is a big problem over there.
We have that problem here too, but most of them have old money from the parents ( trust fund babies )

Sounds like it's getting a bit unstable over there..

Miles said:

The trigger seems to have been the arrest of an alleged gang leader which ended with his death. I don't see that this has anything to do with police corruption? Just an operation that went wrong AFAIK. The rioting is mostly opportunistic criminality by a generation that don't really have much to lose....

Ahh, I just read only this post, and thought their might be real police corruption. Which I HATE.

Glad you're OK. :)

Miles said:

Joseph C. said:

The trigger seems to have been the arrest of an alleged gang leader which ended with his death. I don't see that this has anything to do with police corruption? Just an operation that went wrong AFAIK. The rioting is mostly opportunistic criminality, or simply fun, for a generation that don't really have much to lose....

It s true i heard that on the news too ...makes me think a little of vancouver when they lost stanley cup ...and Montreal when they won the cup in 93 loll...

Miles said:

Joseph C. said:

We shall see what happened in the coming days but from my end it looks like only one side was doing the shooting. Therefore, I stand by what I said.

The rioting and the killing of Mark Duggan were two separate things but one did lead to the other.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/07/police-attack-london-burns

Joseph C. said:
We shall see what happened in the coming days but from my end it looks like only one side was doing the shooting. Therefore, I stand by what I said.
That may well be the case. But murder? The guy had a gun, apparently. What has it to do with corruption?

THis is going to sound really off, and I don't mean it to sound insensitive for the unfortunate victims of the rioting in London, but I must say I love how (for example in the article Spinning Magnets linked to), people scratch their chins and ask "what is the cause of this rioting?" just like they did with the LA riots. Do you know why people riot? Because it is really good fun.

I have only ever been in two riots, one was in my hometown, when a Car festival (Summer Nats) street car cruise went out of control. Started off as an organised car cruise, which then degenerated into people screaming "show us your tits!" to which many of the lovely cultured young ladies obliged. But then slowly things got out of control, people removed hotel fire hoses and started hosing cars and people, and there was just this electric moment when everyone realised that there was more hoons than there were cops, and it was on like donkey kong. In the end they had to bring in these types of riot squad buses I didn't even know existed in my sleepy little city, and go full baton and dogs. It was awesome fun.

The second was at a US College, after our football team won a semi-final or final - can't even remember which - i was drunk. And people went nutso, cars overturned, things set on fire. they called in the riot squad, again, insane fun.

It's like that guilty pleasure you sometimes get when two guys drunkenly beat the snot out each other in a pub. You know it is really wrong, but there is the shaved monkey in you that comes out. That's my view anyway, I would just love to see a news story or current affairs analysis that had the interviewer ask some deep probing question of the Sociology professor, who responds with "Well, we believe that the major stimulus to this rioting, is that throwing empty bottles of bourbon at the police is lots of fun"

Miles said:
Joseph C. said:
That may well be the case. But murder? The guy had a gun, apparently. What has it to do with corruption?

Murder is shooting at someone with intent to kill out of any reason other than justifiable self-defence. The corruption lies in covering it up and claiming that he shot them when he apparently didn't. I have already gone out on a limb so I won't start guessing the details.

I do realise that The Telegraph are claiming something completely contrary to the Guardian but they are heavily conservative. It doesn't matter one whit how much of a thug Duggan was,if the above is true. Police are not executioners and execution is illegal in the UK and Europe anyway.

The rioting is despicable and those thugs should be fined heavily and whatever stuff they own should be taken off them (it costs too much to put people in prison) and place them working in the community. However, that is a separate matter.

Philistine is bang on.
It's a generation of thick useless no-hoper parasites given an excuse to go on an "orgy of destruction". Indeed directed to do so, incessantly by the 24hr news channels... I have NO sympathy for them whatsoever. It's carried on & spread because the weather has been nice. And this extraordinary "yoof" culture where it is fashionable to appear to be educationally subnormal ("innit") seems to breed school leavers who are frankly unemployable. It seems to be at work where folk learn responsibility, and the fact that making things is as satisfying as destroying them.
I was living in Moss Side when the last lot of riots in UK happened - 1st I knew was when all my relatives kept ringing up to see if I was alright (I'd been playing tennis ....) and I'd had to walk past all the SPG transits, they had parked near my flat. The point is that the "destruction" then, while awful, was very localised & I expect it's the same this time - a single building on fire fills a TV screen in a most agreeable way....

Timeline of events. There are definitely ringleaders coordinating these riots.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0809/breaking25.html

Joseph C. said:
The rioting is despicable and those thugs should be fined heavily and whatever stuff they own should be taken off them (it costs too much to put people in prison) and place them working in the community. However, that is a separate matter.

Excactly, how could this act ever be good regardless of whether the killing was necessary or not, looks like a bunch of thugs and looters that will only cost the government

I firmly believe that most rioters are opportunistic, and have no association with the original spark event. I recall during the Los Angeles "Rodney King" riots (I no longer live there), shop windows were being broken and the goods cleaned out. The rioters didn't bother the news-camera crews.

One counter-intuitive asian shop owner opened up his shop and invited passing looters to take what they wanted. After the riots ended, he could not claim insurance on the materials lost, but...his windows were not broken, and he hadn't been burned to the ground. He re-stocked and reopened immediately, but the neighboring shops took months.

This pro-killing rioters thread was found with Google, I was only looking for pics to verify my claim:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45570

Turkish shop owners in London
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2011/aug/09/london-riots-london

Yes - you are likely to be correct. They are using it as an excuse to be as destructive as possible.

I suppose they are made up of different elements. Some, as Philistine mentions, do it for kicks and follow the crowd. Others are more sinister and probably should be in prison. While others still plan these things in advance - like the football firms. I would imagine that there is a strong connection between football hooliganism and these riots.

The question is how do you stop this from happening? The answer probably involves different strategies for different time periods. Short-term the most dangerous people have to be locked up. In the medium and long term better solutions are needed.

Back