Alex Moulton RIP

A great loss to us all. I like this quote:

"He was very taken, through his association with Bridgestone, with the Japanese sense of the “spirit” of an artefact, reflecting its origins and the care with which it was made. "

Here's a Moulton that someone posted a while back. Very light, very strong...I would have very much liked to see what he would have designed for a variety of E-bike specific frames.

file.php

That is our very own amazing Miles' ebike.

I like Alex's bike designs a lot. If you're going to make the best bike, it should fold up and not be notch-sensitive, and not be limited to single spar/tube members from point to point. His designs embody all of that criteria very well, perhaps better than anyone else ever did.

Here's mine a recent Pashley built Moulton TSR2 (two speed belt driven) with a lightweight front hub (Tongxin) conversion.

7024910929_811c4281a7_b.jpg

The above picture shows it ready to go with a small 5 mile battery in that frame bag. Shown below in its portable form with a larger battery in that detachable bag.

6318610623_c7a81a1db4_b.jpg

Finally stowed in my office split (they don't fold).

6305969134_ab7e9493fb_b.jpg

Jerry

sk8norcal said:
^ Moulton bicycles don't fold, they separate... (into 2 halves) and only on some models...

Huh. This seller claims it folds up, and it sort of looks like it folds... Is this just the two-half model?

Lightly Used Moulton Folding A.P.B. All Purpose Bicycle New Rack and Fenders
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290807677027

file.php

Attachments

• molton_foldingBLACK-01.jpg
    molton_foldingBLACK-01.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 584
Man he attacks it with that huge Allen key :roll:

It's really not that hard to use a smaller Allen key, put it in squarely and undo it without wobbling it all over the place.

Jerry

Back