DD hub for snowboard winch?

montyp

100 W
Has anyone tried using a DD hub as a snowboard winch?

I'm thinking a guy could flip a standard ebike over then mount the handle bars to the ground. Then swap out the rear wheel with a DD hub wrapped with a tow line.

I'm really wanting to try this out. Do you guys know what the typically output voltage of an arc welder is? From what I understand it is about 80 voltages. If so can I just connect the jumpers of the arc welder to my power inputs on my controller? Seems like it would be the perfect power supply for this app.

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

It could be done, sure. The thing about DD motors is that they suck up a lot of energy off the line. If you can get yourself moving a bit first before engaging the power you'll have a bit more fun with it. Interesting idea. The rope is always the issue, though, because obviously you'd like to be able to have a lot of room to board/skate, etc., but rope takes up a lot of room.

I'd like to build a cable park where I live. For water, of course.

montyp said:
Has anyone tried using a DD hub as a snowboard winch?

I'm thinking a guy could flip a standard ebike over then mount the handle bars to the ground. Then swap out the rear wheel with a DD hub wrapped with a tow line.
Would work great just make sure you get the right wind....Also you could use an RC servo controller to remote control your way up the mtn.
8)

bzhwindtalker said:
not snowboard but... Built that a couple of years back
[youtube]Yj7NoztJ4Bk[/youtube]

http://electricgarage.weebly.com/les-autres-projets.html

That looks awesome!!!

What kind of line did you use?
I tried this last night and had a lot of trouble with my line unspooling and creating a total mess. I tried both nylon and wound rope. Every time the line was loose it would unspool.

Thanks!!!

The original rope ski tows were not much different. They took a tire off a model T, and jacked up the wheel, and put a bare rim back on.

Rope looped up the hill to a front axle and rim at the top.

The tow runs at all times, so when one rider grabbed the moving rope, the load was not so heavy as to stall it.

No reason it wouldn't work, but you might need to make a custom deep dish rim for the rope pully on the hubmotor so you don't jog the rope out of the slot. Might be perfect with a cast rim scooter hubmotor, jacked up to 2000w, with some plates bolted to the rim to make the pulley have a deep slot.

I don't think just flipping a bike would work well. You will need a pretty secure, non wobbly way to attach the motor. Something like a modified bike frame designed to strap to a tree trunk perhaps? Something that hangs from the car's tow hitch? The top pulley can just be a big pulley attached to a tree.

An arc welder would run about 25v. To get up to 80v would require a massive 400+ amp unit.

On this winch I used kitesurf rope winding directly on the hub between the spoke flanges. Regular kite rope is good for 250kg but you can get 400kg rope too. I managed to wind 125m but not more. This kind of rope is called dynema. The good thing is that you can up the voltage at will to get desired speed, the acceleration phase is short anyway.

Does anyone know if any of these hub wheels would be enough power for a snowboarding tow rope? A continuous running tow rope, 100 ft in length. What kind of hub wheel would work best? Preferably one with varying speeds, from 5-15 mph or something.

Back