Just had an earthquake in Los Angeles

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
Nothing big or unusual, but enough to hear it coming and feel it... . Anybody else around here feel it?

:shock: :lol:

e-beach said:
Nothing big or unusual, but enough to hear it coming and feel it... . Anybody else around here feel it?

:shock: :lol:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

OK ,here is some data....Quality Good??? What do they mean?
http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Quakes/ci15473729.html

A minor earthquake occurred at 8:16:31 PM (PST) on Friday, March 7, 2014.
The magnitude 3.2 event occurred 1 km (1 miles) ESE of Marina del Rey, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 10 km ( 6 miles).

Magnitude 3.2 - local magnitude (Ml)
Time Friday, March 7, 2014 at 8:16:31 PM (PST)
Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 4:16:31 (UTC)
Distance from Marina del Rey, CA - 1 km (1 miles) ESE (112 degrees)
Los Angeles Airport, CA - 3 km (2 miles) N (9 degrees)
Culver City, CA - 4 km (3 miles) SW (223 degrees)
Los Angeles Civic Center, CA - 19 km (12 miles) WSW (242 degrees)
Coordinates 33 deg. 58.3 min. N (33.972N), 118 deg. 25.9 min. W (118.432W)
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)
Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 95, Nph=124, Dmin=1 km, Rmss=0.32 sec, Erho=0.3 km, Erzz=0.3 km, Gp=79.2 degrees
Event ID# ci15473729

I didn't feel it. In the last 3 years I've only felt 2 minor ones despite there being lots of them on the news. I must be sort of desensitized to them, having lived here all of my life. :|

The fingers said:
I didn't feel it. In the last 3 years I've only felt 2 minor ones despite there being lots of them on the news. I must be sort of desensitized to them, having lived here all of my life. :|

Or we are just getting them more around here instead of where you are. BTW, been here all my life also and a have gone through every BIG one since the Sylmar quake in '71.

Slow night?....yea maybe, unless one has gone through a fore-shock like the one the night before the BIG one in '94. I was walking home in the evening and almost at my beach front apartment when a quick-sharp quake that only lasted a second or two rattled me and the few people around me. The next morning a huge quake tore through The San Fernando Vally and Santa Monica, where I lived. Not only could I not stand as the floor was whipping up and down but I couldn't stand even holding the door jamb. From the sound of it all I thought the 7 story apartment building was going to fall apart.....and that is because it was.

Walls peeled open and people were almost ejected from their beds into a multi-story falls. 5 story's of un-reinforced brick peeled off the back of the building, cascading through the ceiling of my friends apartment, coming within 18 inches or so of crushing my friend, his wife and their 1 year old son to death under tons of rubble. As is was, the building was so damaged that Santa Monica Building and Safety Dept condemned the place at first light. Took the guy all of 5 minutes looking at the building and how the upper 1/3 was leaning askew. We all had to evacuate and the building was sealed with all of our belongings inside. 350 people suddenly homeless with hardly more then the close on our backs....

So yea, the little ones do catch my attention. :wink:

As for the 777 plane crash.....that is a sad story. I have a friend who won't fly.....He calls jets "Death tubes."

Can't say I much care about a 3.2. Because it ain't much. You could be standing on that one. If the big branch that fell of my tree today had come on Friday I'd wonder if that was what set off such a little one.

So just how windy was it today while I was at the library? (Didn't notice any of it.) Apparently that did more damage that some 3.2 could ever dream of.

my old girlfriend was in LA for the northridge quake. they were knocked outa bed. that was a biggy. but not as big as the big one is gonna be. i already told icewrench to get outa seattle before the san juan de fuca blows. i think the tsunami from that one is gonna ruin most of the pacific coast and seattle is gonna really be hurt bad. most of the coastal communities will be totally gone. it will be worse than the tsunami in japan three years ago. 3/11/2011

i was on a plane heading to san jose to accept some clean room equipment when the loma prieta earthquake hit. we were over the great basin in nevada when it happened and the plane turned around and flew back to denver. the plane was full of people from san jose so it got deathly quiet on the plane as everybody sat there and realized how powerless they were at 35,00 feet and being told by the captain that the earthquake had closed the airport and they had no idea of what had happened to their homes and families on the ground at home in san jose.

i finally went about 2 weeks later and got to sit through a 4.3 aftershock in the airport as i was leaving.

I didn't feel a thing.

But then again, anything under about a 3.8 for me is just the "ground farting". I don't notice them unless I'm sitting absolutely still with a glass of liquid nearby.

OK....so did anybody feel that one?....4.7 this time. The epicenter is where Mulholland Drive and the 405 freeway cross.

for those who arn't local around here:
405 is a heavily-traveled thoroughfare by both commuters and by freight haulers along its entire length and is the busiest and most congested freeway in the United States.

PM me when it shows 5.5 or above. :p

Out of the dozen of so earthquakes I've felt living half my life in Northern California. You just shrug off the stuff that feel "small". When I mean small, I mean that it feels like a slight rumble under your feet.

That rumble doesn't mean that the seismic wave traveled 1000's of miles to your feet. In which case, you better hope it wasn't a big one. :roll:

e-beach said:
OK....so did anybody feel that one?....4.7 this time. The epicenter is where Mulholland Drive and the 405 freeway cross.

for those who arn't local around here:
405 is a heavily-traveled thoroughfare by both commuters and by freight haulers along its entire length and is the busiest and most congested freeway in the United States.

I actually felt that one this morning. Predicted it at above mid 4's on my butt scale... not bad.

I thought someone was running across our building and was about to go see who it was when the large jolt happened. Then it just softly rocked to a stop. Those are the ideal earthquakes in my book, except it should have been longer

For those not familiar, the 405 was close to the overpass on the 10 that collapsed in 1994, one of the things that made the 10 right there so crucial. One downed overpass added an average of an hour to get through, meaning two hours for both ways each day. Shortly before they had wrapped up shooting the movie 'Speed' on the as yet unopened 105 freeway, which still hadn't caught on at the time of the earthquake. In the first weeks people were learning almost one by one that there was this EMPTY freeway nearby. (Not for long.) Even with the overpass rebuilt in 6 months, traffic remained on the 105, although it still made it easier for me to get to UCLA when I was going there while living in Orange County.

LA traffic has increased since then. Wonder what a downed overpass would do today.

[youtube]vaIbpSaEoYc[/youtube]

G'Luck EVerybuddy...

It's been a looong time since the 1906 earthquake in San Fran (the same San Andreas Fault which had caused the disaster in San Francisco runs close to Los Angeles as well).

Live vid of that 1906 thingee aftermath:
https://archive.org/details/chi_000029

(Nice to see some electric vehicles ("trolleys") running at least (faster than any pedestrians were running I guess).

BTW, and OT nice writeup about the California Wave Motor Company in railway guy Henry Huntingtons beach resort (aka "Huntington Beach", just to the south of LA.) Then it turned out to be "incapable of generating enough energy to make it worth further investment", but my guess is some ebikers today (won't mention any names) would get a real charge out of visiting that neighbourhood some time.

Al (Alva Reynolds, a co-inventor of his machine) was a wannabe ebiker, or at least might have appreciated burning less food energy as he flew through the air that same year:
Alva Reynolds Man-Angel - LA Herald July 1 1906.jpg

Some might wonder if he was airborne for the "big show", and whether he felt anything at all (sorta doubt it. It's not termed an "air quake".)

PS, and BTW. Another pic of Als "Man Angel" (apparently any ladies were occupied elsewhere). Info is, hydrogen-filled, 34 feet long and carried an 18 pound frame in which some light weight guy sat.
Flyer.jpg

While one competition was against a "car", with a bet of $1000 to be first to reach Monas house (or Pomona, something like that), I can find no word of their later bet to see which won the bet for the least "stinky" vehicle.

I'm only interested in flying better electrically, `cause I am trying to get my neighbours in TO interested in zeppelin flying around for short sight-seeing trips.

Just had a 5.1 in La Habra....that's 17 to 20 miles South East of Downtown Los Angeles...kept me rolling around for about 30 or 40 seconds.....bumping around like I was on a train only it was a house.... :shock:

Edit...http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ar-la-habra-california-k2al0i,0,5399191.story
A magnitude 5.1 earthquake was reported Friday evening one mile from La Habra, California, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 9:09 p.m. Pacific time at a depth of 0.6 miles.

Updated at 9:48 p.m.

So far, there have been reports of only moderate damage from the quake. Residents in La Habra, near the epicenter, have sent out pictures on social media showing broken vases, topped furniture and items scattered around their homes. No structural damage has been reported so far. Disneyland has closed some rides, according to guests. Some said they were stuck on rides. The Los Angeles Fire Department said there have been no reports of significant damage in Los Angeles. Power was out in some neighborhoods near the epicenter. There are no reported injures.

:D

ES Search found 8 matches: +San +Francisco +earthquake
Thinking of San Fran/Cali folks.

Wikipedia:
"It is estimated that around 500,000 earthquakes occur each year, detectable with current instrumentation. About 100,000 of these can be felt. Minor earthquakes occur nearly constantly around the world in places like California and Alaska in the U.S., as well as in El Salvador, Mexico, Guatemala, Chile, Peru, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, the Azores in Portugal, Turkey, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, India and Japan, but earthquakes can occur almost anywhere, including New York City, London, and Australia."

So may appear to some lotta various involved re "earth quakes" (plus more than just LA and environs).

Ed: Here we are, buncha sailors on shores ("dry" bits) floating in a bowl full of jelly.

Oh oh... LA folks? "Chances of Earthquake Hitting L.A. Area Soon: Like, for Sure":
http://www.livescience.com/52546-mo...s-angeles.html?cmpid=NL_OAP_weekly_2015-10-20

la-faults.jpg

The Los Angeles area is threaded with many buried faults, some of which have never been mapped. A new study suggests that a magnitude 5.0 or greater earthquake on at least one of these faults is virtually a sure thing in the next few years.

"The Greater Los Angeles area has a 99.9 percent chance of having an earthquake of magnitude 5.0 or greater in the next two and a half years."
:cry:

Richter 5 ain't no thing. The only things that get knocked down are those that were trying to fall down already.

Chalo said:
Richter 5 ain't no thing. The only things that get knocked down are those that were trying to fall down already.

Hehe... Richter 5 OR GREATER. (Scale ain't linear.)
RichterScale.gif

Back