My Motoped

kfong

100 kW
I've kept an eye on the Motoped when I first saw it and was tempted at the time to purchase it for an ebike setup. I had gone a different route, but recently my interest in it had begun again after the kickstarter campaign. I went and purchased the frame kit with the upgraded suspension. I have too many ebikes, so this will be a gas build. I've been asked to document the build since it makes a great frame for a high power ebike. I plan also to see how I can have both, since it only requires 2 bolts to mount the motor.

Here are pics

I'm currently missing the front and rear suspension. They will arrive in another box. I'm also missing the rear hub. The rest of the parts I will need to purchase.

Attachments

• shipping box.jpg
    shipping box.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7,791
  • Aluminum parts.jpg
    Aluminum parts.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 7,791
  • Top frame view.jpg
    Top frame view.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 7,791
  • side frame view.jpg
    side frame view.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 7,791
  • frame built.jpg
    frame built.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 7,791
Getting the gas motor for the distance and cost. Currently looking at an ebay 110CC Lifan motor. Apparently, it needs an automatic transmission if you plan to pedal. Since pedaling is one of the things that makes this bike unique. I plan to go full automatic. I've seen on YouTube a semi-automatic build, but the shifter seems to be in the way of pedaling. Does anyone here have any info on that. 110CC seems also the biggest motor I can get that is automatic, the next size up becomes semi-automatic.

Super jealous :lol: I'd check Motoped's own forum for engine options.

Their pricing on frame kits is downright righteous!

Been on the forum, but have not posted anything there. It's not well structured as this forum and limited info from the threads I've read. Hoping Zombiess chimes in on my motor choices. My biggest concern is not being able to pedal if the shifter gets in the way, and also are the automatics slow on shifts? I suppose I could mill out a custom shifter if needed. He did state his favorite was 88CC, was this full auto?

I could pedal without issues on the shifted versions. I rode the 125cc fat tire bike around Button Willow's pits and didn't have any issues once I realized I needed to place my foot slightly different. I adjusted very quickly. Shifting with pedal power seems confusing and clumsy... Until you do it. You soon adjust to using the pedals to help you shift and it becomes natural. It's a really cool setup, but you must be willing to try unconventional and open minded. I let many strangers try out the bike I was riding and some commented the shifting was strange for the first min or so until they adjusted, then they were fine. My own opinion is it works very well, but I am flexible with less per conceived notions.

Based on +5 anonymous riders, I would say it's a non issue to shift.

I want to do a Motard 155cc EFI turbo version, but I need to make it a legit MC. Maybe in the near future, too busy working on a lot of other awesome stuff right now that is higher priority.

kfong said:
Getting the gas motor for the distance and cost. Currently looking at an ebay 110CC Lifan motor. Apparently, it needs an automatic transmission if you plan to pedal. Since pedaling is one of the things that makes this bike unique. I plan to go full automatic. I've seen on YouTube a semi-automatic build, but the shifter seems to be in the way of pedaling. Does anyone here have any info on that. 110CC seems also the biggest motor I can get that is automatic, the next size up becomes semi-automatic.

This is just great. I think it is a better way to go than reviving an older moped.

For those like myself for whom highway range is an issue-what are your goals for top speed, comfortable cruising speed, and expectations for gas mileage? Do you think 80+ mpg is a reasonable goal?

Thanks

Thanks Zombiess, nice to know the shifting is a non issue. I can move up to a bigger motor then. Kent, from what I've read speed is based on how big a motor you want to go. I don't need to go fast, but I want a lot of torque and the ability to move quickly when needed. Since the main purpose of this bike is to explore trails up north, climbing and jumps. Having a motor with lots of torque requires me to look for a bigger motor. Too bad motor noise becomes louder as well.

You should be ashamed of yourself for going the stinkbike route. Let me know when you're ready for a simulcast race, so even with a 250lb+ rider my electric bike will laugh at your stinker. There's not a reason in the world for building a lightweight gasser, especially with your e-skills. I can't believe anyone on ES is encouraging it. They should be ashamed too. This is ES, not FUGS (eff'd Up Gasser Sphere).

Yep, but until batteries progress. This stink bike will still out distance yours on a full tank. That and the cost are the only reasons I'm going this route. Ebikes have there place, I still drive a gas car with no illusions of replacing it anytime soon.

That being said, I just discovered that a123 cells are available to the open market, my electric car is actually closer to reality than I planned, but as a second fun city car. Going to see if I can get my hands on that Miata this summer.

I had considered a123 for the Motoped, but riding up North with them still won't work out. I can find a gas station faster and travel the many snowmobile trails farther. For local stuff, my Ebikes win out.

Great looking frame! Seeing the jackshaft right on the swingarm pivot gets my attention right away.

I'll be looking at this for a platform for my big block electric motor. :D

From the MotoPed web site:

e-MotoPed.jpg

thats great to hear LR! :D
im considering your big block kit for my motoped..
8)

LightningRods said:
Great looking frame! Seeing the jackshaft right on the swingarm pivot gets my attention right away.

This is the kind of frame that the big block needs. I had two big blocks and several GNG sized motors apart in the shop yesterday. The big block has almost exactly twice the rotor and stator width. It weighs 11 lbs vs. 6 lbs for the small motor because of copper and magnets. It's a 6 kW - 8 kW motor.

Anyone wanting to go electric on one of these Motopeds, check in with me. I'll cut you a great deal using your frame as the prototype. I could see doing a lot of these.

LightningRods said:
This is the kind of frame that the big block needs. I had two big blocks and several GNG sized motors apart in the shop yesterday. The big block has almost exactly twice the rotor and stator width. It weighs 11 lbs vs. 6 lbs for the small motor because of copper and magnets. It's a 6 kW - 8 kW motor.

Anyone wanting to go electric on one of these Motopeds, check in with me. I'll cut you a great deal using your frame as the prototype. I could see doing a lot of these.

Friendly thread hijack! This could be a interesting situation since you are #1 ES trustworthy & #2 very good engineer/metalworker. If someone (like myself :p )were to, say, ship the frame to your doorstep, you'd have hands on to figure out how to place your motor mount. Even more, an opportunity to fabricate a production battery box to attach to the frame. That would give many motoped customers an option between ICE & electric and an avenue for your business :idea:

:D
i could jump on this wagon as well..
i have two motoped frames in stock!
located in mid-atlantic us..
hit me up if you need a tester/ frame..
:twisted:

melodious said:
LightningRods said:

Friendly thread hijack! This could be a interesting situation since you are #1 ES trustworthy & #2 very good engineer/metalworker. If someone (like myself :p )were to, say, ship the frame to your doorstep, you'd have hands on to figure out how to place your motor mount. Even more, an opportunity to fabricate a production battery box to attach to the frame. That would give many motoped customers an option between ICE & electric and an avenue for your business :idea:

Ha ha, I actually invited Mike. He owes me a motor, and I plan to make good use of it. The big block was planned for the Versus frame, but this is such a good setup for it that I knew it would catch his attention. Just surprised it was not on his radar earlier. I will post the motor next to the frame for those going this route, hopefully dimensionally correct cad of the frame as well.

This is one solid frame, quality is excellent. No promises, but if I can pull off making it a dual setup since only 2 bolts are required to switch power plants, then I will definitely look into the possibility.

Mike, contact Motoped. I believe they were looking for ideas of an electric conversion. Zombiess, has ridden some of them as well as the gas ones. He might be able to chime in on how they compared.

I do not see why the current frame can't handle the battery and motor setup. I would mount the big block as a supporting structure to the two bolts and tie in the top bolt and top brackets and battery holder as additional frame support. This frame already seems more solid than my DH frame.

Been trying to pick out a gas motor. So many choices, there is even an oil cooled 150cc that looks promising. I'm trying to be practical on the choice and not go crazy with power. My main objective is a low profile setup that I can ride around town with and still have fun in the trails. I'm pretty sure it will see mostly trail use, but you still have to cross roads, sometimes long stretches. I think 45mph is the fastest I really care to go just to be able to keep up with traffic, and only 35 mph or less in the trails. I'm currently thinking 125cc might be a good power choice, but have no idea really how that would perform or feel.

After going through the listings, I'm down to these two choices. Anyone have any experience in this area?

LIFAN 125CC Motor Engine w/ Dress Up Kit XR50 CRF50 XR 50 70 CRF70 Z50 CT H SET $450
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFAN-125CC-Motor-Engine-w-Dress-Up-Kit-XR50-CRF50-XR-50-70-CRF70-Z50-CT-H-SET-/161053787561?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257f8dc5a9&vxp=mtr

125CC LIFAN COMPLETE ENGINE MOTOR FOR HONDA XR CRF 50 70 CT70 ST70 XL70 $340
http://www.ebay.com/itm/125CC-LIFAN-COMPLETE-ENGINE-MOTOR-FOR-HONDA-XR-CRF-50-70-CT70-ST70-XL70-/181391881401?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3bcc74b9&vxp=mtr

LightningRods said:

This is exactly what I envisioned when I saw this frame on kick starter. But be careful what you wish for because it'd be easy to run yourself thin with all the kit work you've been doing.

To try to get back on topic a bit and pay Vince's thread some respect, I think this frame is a great platform for people wanting to build a DIY Stealth Fighter. The stinky noise maker ICE concept loses me, but this bike is awesome.

The thing that really gets me is that I'm sending Vince the electric motor that belongs in this bike and he's talking gas burner. It's okay. If he won't do what should be done- I will. :D

Both bikes would make a good candidate for that motor. Once I have the motor in my hands, I will let that decide for me. The Motoped is one level up in weight compared to the Versus, and I thought that was a heavy bike. This one really is more of a moped than a bike, or even closer to a motocross, once the moped tires get installed. What's the expected watts or HP of the big block? We are moving away from ebike territory with this build and into a small motorcycle.

kfong/efMX,
Are the chainrings in the swing arm jackshaft swapable? Is there an ability to modify the ratios there?
It looks like an outer sleeve and both sides look like the same tooth count. Any chance of some close-ups?

yes the jackshaft cogs are replaceable if they wear out, etc..
but there is very little if any room to adjust the jackshaft cogs bigger..
(im guessing you want larger cogs on the jackshaft for motor reduction..)
you could go a bit smaller cogs but thats prolly not useful??

jackshaft picture:
10387063_1473797019524337_1363858234388765731_o.jpg

source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motoped-Assembly-Tech/1473783869525652

r3volved said:
kfong/efMX,
Are the chainrings in the swing arm jackshaft swapable? Is there an ability to modify the ratios there?
It looks like an outer sleeve and both sides look like the same tooth count. Any chance of some close-ups?

Back