More Airlines Stopping LiPo / rechargeable battery shipments

Well, that sucks. Just another reason to start manufacturing batteries right here in 'Merica!

I'd settle for more places with US, or EU based warehouses, as Hobby King has done. Then the small order ships by ground.

More places that assemble cells into packs In the USA (like allcell) would be nice too.

Read in more detail..
The tests have placed airlines in a quandary. The shipments are permitted under international safety standards. They are also profitable. And so far, there have been no cargo fires aboard passenger airlines attributed to lithium batteries. But as some airlines ban the shipments, it puts pressure on other airlines to follow suit or appear indifferent to safety risks.

BUT note ....
..Cargo airlines are continuing to transport the batteries even though they are believed to have either caused or contributed to fires that destroyed two Boeing 747 freighters in recent years,

Isnt it odd that the passenger planes ban them despite having no fires, whilst the freight companies that have lost aircraft and crew to known li battery fires , continue to accept them ! ? :shock:

Obviously the dollar is still more important than aircraft/crew safety . :cry:

Pilots don't scare so easy, and paying off 3 families is cheap.

dont like the look of this-
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/aircraft-makers-urge-ban-lithium-210835630.html

Doesn't ban any package labeled "toys". :roll:

Odd. A123 has been prohibited from shipping batteries on passenger aircraft as long as I've been with the company. I thought this was already illegal. Note that they are talking about freight shipment of Li batteries on passenger aircraft. Nobody is suggesting a ban of batteries on cargo aircraft. This is a reasonable proposal, IMO.

Oil companies are still free to ship their product that is literally designed to explode, and explodes uncontrollably in daily accidents all over the world though.

;)

neptronix said:
Oil companies are still free to ship their product that is literally designed to explode, and explodes uncontrollably in daily accidents all over the world though.

;)

You cannot put a drum of oil or can of gas in the cargo hold of a passenger aircraft, I'm quite sure of that.

Cargo airlines are continuing to transport the batteries even though they are believed to have either caused or contributed to fires that destroyed two Boeing 747 freighters in recent years, killing their pilots.
Besides this one small quote, most of that article link focused on passenger flights.

There is already rules to how much battery one can carry on passenger flights. I'll keep it simple, one of the smallest personable EV transport devices, an miserly Eskateboard with a minimum of 200wh, aren't allowed. But that giant 20" multimedia laptop would pass through.

I'd imagine even a few several lives (cargo plane roster) vs. several hundreds (passenger plane roster) still matter in the debate. The smart companies ship batteries at storage voltage. But unless you give every inspector a "batteries for dummies" course & a multimeter, there are going to be stray packs that are fully charged that go through. And that probably frightens folks.

My hunch is that bulk batteries will be banned from the skies. Boats, trains, & trucks only.

wb9k said:
neptronix said:

;)

You cannot put a drum of oil or can of gas in the cargo hold of a passenger aircraft, I'm quite sure of that.

Sure you can. You can also pump it into huge bladders in the wings, under the passengers feet, and anywhere else you have room... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, you CAN ship flammable material like gasoline via air freight, but there are strict restrictions on amount, size, and packaging. Its not normally done, except for transports to remote locations.

On another on topic note.. someone should tell fedex that Hobby King box coming to my house shouldnt be on the plane its currently on.... or on second thought... no one say anything, I want my batteries faster. :mrgreen:

It's understandable. Viewed from a safety perspective a LiCo battery is a flimsy canister of flammable solvent that contains a system for volatising it into an explosive vapour cloud and then igniting it.

MrDude_1 said:
Seriously though, you CAN ship flammable material like gasoline via air freight, but there are strict restrictions on amount, size, and packaging. Its not normally done, except for transports to remote locations.

Is that on a passenger plane or a dedicated freighter?

Punx0r said:
Viewed from a safety perspective a LiCo battery is a flimsy canister of flammable solvent that contains a system for volatising it into an explosive vapour cloud and then igniting it.
That's such a great description of LiCo. I'm gonna have to use that when I'm warning someone over the dangers of the chemistry.

Punx0r said:
It's understandable. Viewed from a safety perspective a LiCo battery is a flimsy canister of flammable solvent that contains a system for volatising it into an explosive vapour cloud and then igniting it.

MrDude_1 said:

Is that on a passenger plane or a dedicated freighter?

it can be on a commercial plane with passengers... but you're not going to find gasoline transport on a delta flight or anything... think more like turboprop planes where its half cargo, half passenger.
Its not illegal by law, but theres also company policies here... so nothing like what we consider a normal commercial flight will have anything like that..... besides, with the amount of crap people carry nowdays, the cargo hold is already full of passenger cargo.

Back