New puppy in the house !

Ypedal

Staff member

I lost my best friend last October ( RIP Sandy ) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Told myself i would go without a dog for a while and work at the business side of life, i did that this summer and just had to get another companion.. took my time and found a local Samoyed breeder .. Put a deposit even before the female was pregnant ..

Current name is " Smurf " .. according to blue ribbon attached to his collar. might keep it.. considering Spock as alternative.

Nice looking puppy Ypedal. Congrats on the new family member.

I lost my dog 2 weeks ago and miss him dearly. Been looking at breeds and wondering what to get.
Not a decision I take lightly.

Keep us updated. Going to lookup now how big those get and if the shed.

My last was a cattle dog and wow did he shed.

Smurf is adorable...but not blue enough. ;)

ohzee said:
I lost my dog 2 weeks ago and miss him dearly. Been looking at breeds and wondering what to get.

I usually look around for the least-wanted ones, though sometimes those find me instead (like Nana, who led to me having Hachi, as well).

Only once have I actually gone looking for a specific breed, when I went looking for a wolfdog after losing Reckless mroe than 20 years ago, and found Lady at the pound waiting for me.

I went to *see* St. Bernards at the AZSB Rescue Sanctuary after losing Hachi, Nana, Loki, and Fred, because they had one (Daisy) that looked exactly like Nana, but chunkier...I never did get to see her, but met Tiny....

Going to lookup now how big those get and if the shed.

My last was a cattle dog and wow did he shed.
I can brush enough out of either Yogi or Tiny to make at least one of Smurf, sometimes two. :lol:

I can highly recommend the Furminator deshedding "brush"; it saves me HOURS of work vs anything else I've ever found. :)

I started sneezing watching the video! ... that's why we don't have a dog. :cry:

Ah !!.. Samoyed are hypo allergenic , it's really awesome !!.. no smell, no oily fur, as much as they shed like mad, they make up for it in every other category !

I'm allergic to everything ( specially cats ) and at the 6 week mark i intentionally buried my face into Kandi ( Smurf's mom ) to test this out.. wadda ya know.. golden ! 8)

Cute! my brother raised samoyeds when i was growing up,as i remember they were very smart.still have a cranky 19 yr old outdoor cat and i mean cranky,still fights dogs and cats.

Congrats on an adorable puppy!

Hey Gaston, great dog news. Hope to see smurf rocking out in the trailer behind your trike soon.

Thats good to know Gaston! I would never have thought Samoyed's were hypo alergenic.

Years ago when I raised Afghan Hounds I used to save all the brushed out dog hair for my hippie sister. God only knows what she wanted to make out of it. Yarn? Pillows? Quilt batting? Wall or ceiling insulation? Wigs? Rugs? :roll:

I intend to collect it and spin it myself.. then have someone knit with it.. not sure what .. but there will be enough of it for pretty much anything.

Wow, week 1 with a puppy is an adventure. .. the breeder is early to bed and up at 5am so Smurf is on that schedule and .well.. i'm SO not a morning person.

Got him a harness and have had him in the trailer a few times, he's not liking it at the moment.. but i'm sure he will come around. .. once he does i can bring him to the park and do some riding that i feel the urge to do lol..

Can't even walk him very far right now, just short trips around the house and playing in the yard.. he hates the sun and refuses to stay in the house if it's over 18 celcius .. definitely a winter dog !

Not sure if they still exist, but there was a hippie in Taos NM that would take your collected fur from any animal, spin it, and then knit it into the sweater or hat or blanket of your choice.

Bound to be somebody doing it somewhere still, with a website these days. I'm always tempted to do that with my two St Bernards fur, after the spring shave. But I just stopped wearing wool when polar fleece came out.

Congrats on your new best mate Smurf he's a beauty and sorry to hear of your loss to Sandy, speaking of puppy's in the house my dog of 6 years Roxy had her first litter of 9, I plan to keep one, they are 10 days old

Attachments

• Roxy an pups.jpg
    Roxy an pups.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,198
Back