VW 'Volkswagen Uses Software to increase Pollution'

I wonder where they've been funneling the revenue over the past ten years...I'm sure they would'nt have had a chance in hell at becoming the worlds largest car manufacture without the EPA slowly turning it's head in their direction..all's a stage...enjoy your health problems people...there's always Obama Care...

The topic is completely wrong as they altered the software to REDUCE emissions (during testing which is cheating).
Of course it's wrong to do but it is common practise of american car maker's lobby to raise a big scandal around foreign car makers to push their sales. Next in line will be Toyota again i bet ;)

I hope VW gets sued into bankrupcy and that all employees (managers mostly) who knew/approved this trick end up in jail. Tossing salads for the rest of their lives !

But of course the people most likely to suffer are the shop floor workers who will loose their jobs.

I just love a good scandal, and this one will be a doozie.
Willful deception on a large scale.
Testing routine will be changed.
Will the cars performance drop off when in clean mode?
HAhahahahahahahahaha......

The cars met European standards. They didn't want to make a US version.

How many owners of US cars are going to do the recall to get their cars detuned from Eurospec?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...candal/ar-AAeGIU5?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=mailsignoutThe rats begin to abandon ship. :twisted:
Volkswagen AG Chief Executive Officer Martin Winterkorn, who during nearly a decade at the helm catapulted VW to the top spot in global sales, stepped down after admitting the automaker cheated on U.S. emissions tests.
“Volkswagen needs a fresh start - also in terms of personnel,” Winterkorn said in a statement Wednesday. “I am clearing the way for this fresh start with my resignation.”
The move capped a dramatic fall from grace that began last Friday with the revelation that the Wolfsburg, Germany-based company fitted diesel-powered vehicles with software that circumvented air pollution controls, then lied about it to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The 68-year-old CEO, who personally apologized for the affair, was unable to hang on as the stock price plummeted 35 percent over two days and pressure grew from the German government for quick action.
Winterkorn, who took over in 2007, led a turnaround that propelled VW from an also-ran that had cut 20,000 German jobs under his predecessor to a global powerhouse with about 600,000 employees that included a stable of 12 brands from Lamborghini supercars to Scania heavy trucks. He expanded aggressively, boosting the number of production sites around the world to more than 100 locations, with an emphasis on China and North America.
An avid soccer fan, he was accustomed to boardroom brawls and until Wednesday always came out on top. As chief of the luxury Audi division, where he set in motion a doubling of product offerings with models such as the Q7 SUV, he sparred with then-VW CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder over the direction of the company, eventually leading to Pischetsrieder’s ouster.
Faced with a takeover attempt from Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking, Winterkorn fought off that effort as the global financial crisis undid the suitor’s company, turning the tables on his foe to buy the Porsche sports-car brand instead. His spending spree also included adding the MAN and Scania commercial-vehicle nameplates, as well as Ducati motorbikes.
At his side throughout was his confidante and mentor Ferdinand Piech, the automaker’s supervisory board chairman and patriarch of the Porsche-Piech clan that owns 50.7 percent of VW’s voting stock. When Piech turned on Winterkorn this year, the CEO fought for his job and, to the surprise of many company insiders, won. Piech stepped down in April after Winterkorn rallied support from labor leaders and members of the controlling family led by Piech’s cousin, Wolfgang Porsche.
The new CEO’s top priority will be getting to the bottom of a scheme intended to dupe regulators and consumers about emissions of diesel engines installed in 11 million cars worldwide -- more vehicles than VW sells in a year. The automaker set aside 6.5 billion euros ($7.3 billion) on Tuesday to cover potential costs.
VW’s Achilles heel remains the American market. Even before the revelations of the last week, the VW marque was struggling in the U.S., despite investing $1 billion on a new factory in Tennessee to build a stripped-down, cheaper version of the Passat sedan. The brand’s U.S. sales have dropped, in contrast to growth in the overall market, as VW delayed decisions on building sport utility vehicles that would appeal to American consumers. The automaker is also grappling with a slowdown in China, the company’s biggest national market.
Working in the new CEO’s favor is an automaker that for the moment is financially sound. Volkswagen’s automotive division had net liquidity of 21.5 billion euros at the end of June, and posted record profit of 12.7 billion euros in 2014, helped by its strong presence in China and the expansion of the Audi and Porsche nameplates in the lucrative luxury-car segment. VW surpassed Toyota Motor Corp. in the first half to take the top spot in worldwide vehicle sales -- a goal that Winterkorn set early in his tenure to reach in 2018.
With the diesel-emissions scandal, Winterkorn’s attention to detail has come back to haunt him. Analysts have questioned how a man who would berate staff over the shine on chrome parts could have let something go so awry in the U.S. Winterkorn was known for carrying a measuring stick to check the uniformity of parts, and the automaker would often bring two of a model to an auto show in case he was unhappy with the looks of the one on display.
Winterkorn, who had been Germany’s top paid CEO and was set to get a contract extension this Friday, was intending to give up some of his control of the development process to regional managers, a plan that is now in question.

How would one check the uniformity of parts with a measuring stick? You would have to use calipers.

When a diesel runs in a very lean mode, fuel economy is improved, but any unburned oxygen from uncombusted air can form nitrides of oxygen (NOx). In spite of conservative EPA fuel economy ratings, US based VWs were known to regularly provide 55-MPG when at a steady state cruise speed.

VW owners may be requested to take their VW diesel into a dealer to get the software fixed, which will make it produce less NOx, but will also reduce the fuel economy.

They will either pay the fine (after appealing it to be reduced as far as possible), or they will stop selling VWs in the US, which are not selling very well in the first place. VWs are selling very well globally, just not very well in the US, since the diesel version is about $5000 more than the gasoline versions, and gas in the US is at very low prices. I saw $1.95/gal in Oklahoma recently, and less than $2.50 in many other places.

All the while, the cargo-ships that move products around the globe continue to burn "bunker oil" with no emissions equipment on the exhaust at all (when out past the 12-mile international limit, or in third world countries). So, who's the villain? VW? Have you seen the coal-burning pollution in China? What VW did was legally wrong, but it is a very minor increase in pollution, and they were still running pretty clean at their worst.

bunker-fuels-cargo-ships-exhaust-emissions-air-pollution.jpg

izeman said:
VW's bancrupcy would lead to 600.000 unemployed who have done nothing wrong.
Not really sure about this. VW factories would be sold to other car manufacturers. The hole in the market will need to be filled by other car builders. Maybe Tesla would be interested to build a Golf sized car.

In Holland we have a car plant in the deep south (Borne), build Volvo's, bankrupt, then build Mitsubishi's, closed, now building Mini's ...

What is 10 million stink pots crushed / melted down and remade into clean EV's? A good start!

No way to fix the mess they made nor should any of the duped customers settle for less than a buy back of their now near worthless cars. It's going to hurt a bit, but it is a gift in the long run IMO. Cutting power and running gobs of exhaust gasses is not going to rid the motors of nitrogen oxides enough with out a urea system added. It will cost more than many of these cars are worth. No one yet has been able to do it and still have a fun to drive motor. Time to pull the proverbial plug.

The cars meet European specs for pollution.

speedmd said:
What is 10 million stink pots crushed / melted down and remade into clean EV's? A good start!
Hmm ?..I wonder how much pollution from "melting down" 10 million cars ? :roll:

speedmd said:
Cutting power and running gobs of exhaust gasses is not going to rid the motors of nitrogen oxides enough with out a urea system added.

Running in " compliance" mode doesn't necessarily mean cutting power , and obviously not " gobs of exhaust gasses". ,
...it will most likely affect engine life and reliability

speedmd said:
No one yet has been able to do it and still have a fun to drive motor. Time to pull the proverbial plug.
BMW ? Mercedes ?

Did I touch a nerve! Oh well. Letting them spew toxic gasses in all parts of the world for many years to come is much worse than melting them down in controlled atmosphere furnaces.

You can jack up the injection pressures and feed more exhaust gasses in to reduce nitrogen oxides, but putting significant power out moves it all in the wrong direction. No one has been able to do it. Not MB or BMW either. Not VW either. Benz uses a Bluetec system which was licensed to VW through about 2007. They went renegade after that. BMW a adblue system last I heard. VW just adds bullsh!t the last bunch of years. It will not end well for them regardless how I feel about it.

My feelings about this episode are profoundly mixed. On one hand, I really dislike cars. I also believe that corporate lawlessness should be dealt with far more zealously and harshly than lawlessness by humans.

On the other hand, these are pretty much the only cars for sale in the USA that can routinely reach and exceed 50 mpg, and they're still pretty clean compared to the USA car fleet as a whole. In a country where people can and do use 10 mpg trucks as personal vehicles, where "rolling coal" is a political statement, where stinking smoggy hot rods pass for personal expression, why should the most fuel efficient cars on the road be singled out for their emissions? They're putting out a quarter as much carbon per mile as a stupid F-350 that never carries anything more than its owner's self-entitlement.

Everyone who bought one did it for the extreme fuel economy. None of those people will be happy if a recall reduces their economy.

They will all get checks for the lifetime fuel difference value.

My guess is everyone will get a $600 check and that is all. That is $6.6 billion before any fines.

Unlikely. Petrol engines are comparatively clean. The whole problem is probably based on U.S. emissions standards having been designed around petrol engines (which are typical) and no accommodation made for diesels (which are rare), so selling a diesel means meeting standards intended for petrols.

Here is a poll on "In light of the VW scandal, would you still buy a diesel car?"
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/23/would-you-still-buy-a-diesel-car.html

Almost 9,000 votes so its a decent chunky sized poll. As far as I have noticed over the years its hard to get people to click on web vote polls.

Apparently VW diesel isn't that popular in the USA and Japan its mostly Europe and well everywhere else?
Whether other car makers are doing it or not is real enough for the investors are paranoid about it, all the major car makers stock prices are down on this news.

Punx0r said:
Unlikely. Petrol engines are comparatively clean. The whole problem is probably based on U.S. emissions standards having been designed around petrol engines (which are typical) and no accommodation made for diesels (which are rare), so selling a diesel means meeting standards intended for petrols.
sure. every country tries to save it's own interests. and a country producing SUVs with big petrol v8 engines and making special pollution rules for those can easily stop others from entering the market. even if a diesel is producing more NOx which is not very nice, in the end it's burning 5l or a bit over a gallon per 100km or 1.5 gallon/100mi and not 3,4 or 5 times that amount.

Back