What is the thinnest cutoff wheel available?

markz

100 TW
Should I be looking at rotary tools or air tools?
I need something like 1/16" (0.0625" = 1.5875mm)

I need to cut really thin sheet metal, basically match up two halves of a piece, without the paint chipping and leaving a noticable mark. One half is damaged on one piece, but on the second piece its damaged on the opposite side.

Oh ok thanks, I was thinking about those diamond wheels for dremel, but now that you said that, even the dremel cutoff wheels are very thin, thinner then the diamond wheels, but those black cutoff wheels tend to break when not properly used. I have in the past broken too many. I will have to give them a try, buy a bunch at Princess Auto, they got different sizes, unlike dremel.

In any case, score the paint and cut just inside that line to not chip the paint. Tape on the outside of the line can help too, if nothing else, giving a clear line to follow. You can also cut long,, and file shorter to get that perfect line on undamaged paint.

But know this,, a cut off wheel will heat it up, and likely bubble the paint. Slow saw might be better, like a hacksaw, shears, etc.

Back