Ebike Front suspension and wheel

Building a ebike that'll be pretty heavy (qs205 w/ 4000wh battery) and m not sure if a normal bike wheel or shock will handle the weight. This is my first proper build and would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

What pack are you getting and will it 18650's or something else.
If its 13S 48V then it will 25P or close to it depending on what 18650's are in it, 2.9Ah or something.

Wheels should handle it, if you lace motor into a good rim and use good spokes like Sapim's and you lace the wheel properly.

Alex DM24 are great and lace into stainless steet 14 guage or single butted 13/14 guage or 14/15 guage double butted.
Lacing is the key to success.

Some have laced motor cycle rims onto their motors.

You can use Thorn Proof tubes, which are great, also a tire liner is good and you can make your own from old tubes.
The Marathon Plus tires have extra padding on the tread which helps out tremendously. Right now I am on Schwalbe Smart Sam, and a decent rim.
No problems with flats at all, just using thorn proof tire, I had a sidewall come out on me and it saved me big time!

edit
The Sun Ringle MTX series is good as well, but may not be suitable for rim brakes.

Id use a moto wheel laced into a 20mm thru axle hub and a higher end inverted downhill fork. Anything less than that and you will have to baby your bike on any sort of knarly trails...and thats the only time to have fun imo

If your just building a heavy hub washing machine on wheels for road use commuting, you can probably get away with a 26” downhill wheel

Thanks for the help, slightly late reply but went with 20mm thru and one of those "dirtbike wheels" appriciate it :}

BionicBlitz said:
Thanks for the help, slightly late reply but went with 20mm thru and one of those "dirtbike wheels" appriciate it :}

Thru axles seem to be the new rage, I can't find no decent used suspension fork without a thru axle.

Unless you are building on a cargo bike, often enough I find the frame is what is wanting, when you try to carry more than 1000wh of battery around. Its not so much too much weight, as it is too much weight in the wrong place, combined with a frame designed to carry 250 pounds, on the seat and pedals. Over 50 pounds on a rear pannier rack and you get speed wobbles at 15 mph or more.

One solution is to custom build a frame. This one was designed to carry 2000wh in the frame, with tons of lateral stiffness built in. Then if needed, another 2000wh could have gone in the very low slung, wobble proof panniers. Finished cargo mixte..jpg

I was never particularly worried about the wheels, the long wheelbase took most of my weight off the rear wheel, my weight did not have to be lifted to go over a bump, my weight just rocked, vs the normal bikes pogo of the seat.

And the front did have some suspension to help it absorb a pothole, or speed hump. But,, I also designed for a 20 mph max speed, just to go easier on the wheels. It did handle speed fine, on a downhill for example.

Back