Clip - Drastically improved 3D printing technology?

MitchJi

10 MW
If 3d printing was 100 times faster the machines would probably be a lot more expensive and we would have the current situation compounded where there are relatively few badass machines (metal, other advanced materials) because they cost a fortune.

For doing plastics it would be nice but there are already tons of machines available and most of them aren't close to being used 24/7. So I'm not sure it would make a huge difference except for entertainment applications.

MJSfoto1956 said:
Tell that to Agniusm...

So some guy making batteries is limited by his ability to 3d print battery holders? He can just add more printers. They're cheap and they print the next closest thing to money since it's a business.

flat tire said:
MJSfoto1956 said:
Tell that to Agniusm...
So some guy making batteries is limited by his ability to 3d print battery holders? He can just add more printers. They're cheap and they print the next closest thing to money since it's a business.

Not trying to diss you, but the above quote suggests you've never run a capitalized business.

M

flat tire said:
If 3d printing was 100 times faster the machines would probably be a lot more expensive and we would have the current situation compounded where there are relatively few badass machines (metal, other advanced materials) because they cost a fortune.

For doing plastics it would be nice but there are already tons of machines available and most of them aren't close to being used 24/7. So I'm not sure it would make a huge difference except for entertainment applications.
Watch this video and let me know what you think:
[Youtube]O2thSsQrZUM[/Youtube]

Improved speed (Maybe 1000x could be possible :shock: ). Is obviously huge..
But to me, its the ability to use a wider range of materials, and the resulting "monolithic" construction, (absence of layering) , that are the most interesting advances.
Also, its good to see a real practical demonstration , rather than just a "talk" about a possible technology. :bigthumb:

I think this is great stuff. The biggest thing as was correctly pointed out in the TED video is ability of 3D printers to produce geometries that aren't possible with any other existing manufacturing process. If then the negatives of traditional 3D printing are eliminated, such as low production speed and uneven structural strength, then it opens up the possibility of creating engineering parts that are lighter, stronger and otherwise have unique properties at a fraction of a cost.

Interesting! This CLIP printing is what 3D should be/what it promised to be. Current 3D printing mostly sucks: It's not a production technique and only very limited use for prototyping.

I'n principle I'm a fan of additive manufacturing, but each time I try to use it for prototyping it ends up being cheaper/easier/quicker to do it the "hard" traditional way.

Once tried to get some simple rubber bushes printed. Didn't need the finish, strength and temperature capability of moulded parts (printed ones fail at all three). Best I got after a week of enquiries was just one company who could print in a "rubber like" compound (basically a very soft plastic) for >$500 for four. I was going to pay it but their machine broke down and it was going to be weeks/months to repair. It was comparatively easy to get a metal mould turned on a lathe and fill it with 2-part pouring rubber and it produced a superior part than I would have got from printing. Incidentally, the 16-cavity injection moulding tool for production use cost $1000 and spits out parts for $1 in modest-sized batches and will last donkey's years.

Anyone ever priced an extrusion die made for producing aluminium parts? Sound expensive? Nope, cheap as chips. $1000-$2000 for one with 0.1mm sized complex features and another, simpler, one that was 8" x 4". 4 week lead time. It's going to be a long time before you could realistically get something like that printed for anything like price parity.

Back