BRD RedShift electric motorcycles

Hmm? ..no good news there.
Unless some billionair bike enthusiast steps up to the plate, it seems there is little hope.
Unless this is a ploy by Harley to kill the company , and then buy it up for a song at liquidation auction ?

spinningmagnets said:
https://electricmotorcycle.com/alta-motors/

I don't know what year, here's a pic from the Alta forum

file.php

Hmm. Seems they could have gotten quiet a bit more range if they would stack em cells more tightly? Lets hope they don''t go belly up. Haven't seen any positive news yet, when the breaking news came last week or the week before it seemed most people tought it would be days before Alta would be bought. Ktm was a hot candidate to purchase Alta but it seems nothing have moved forward.

macribs said:
spinningmagnets said:
https://electricmotorcycle.com/alta-motors/

I don't know what year, here's a pic from the Alta forum

file.php

Hmm. Seems they could have gotten quiet a bit more range if they would stack em cells more tightly? Lets hope they don''t go belly up. Haven't seen any positive news yet, when the breaking news came last week or the week before it seemed most people tought it would be days before Alta would be bought. Ktm was a hot candidate to purchase Alta but it seems nothing have moved forward.

cells likely spaced to balance range with batt thermal management?

The bottoms and the sides of all the 18650's are used as a surface for cooling the cells. The pack is set up to provide high volts (355V-ish), and low amps from each cell, so they can get the max amp-hours of run time possible. As a result the pack runs fairly cool anyways.

Apparently, keeping the cells cool was a major concern for the Alta battery pack engineers.

Anyone know the status on Alta at this time? Did anyone buy em, did they find investors or are they fighting bankruptcy?
I really hope Alta will continue to live on and keep evolving.

I think ALta is still in limbo. No positive developments at all.

As we are talking about corporate Alta here, I'd like to see Rix's thread opened back up so he can tell us more about life with his Alta.

Yeah I agree. Maybe both Rix and the moderators forgot about that thread? I sure did until you mentioned it now.

I found a 2018 Alta redshift with 37 miles he wanted 8 Grand for it. Now he's asking 5000. Since Ulta shut its doors can parts service still be had?

Hard to tell, most parts are not Alta specific and those can easily be replaced. Controller, bms, and motor might be harder. We don't know yet. But worst case, say a melted controller or a motor burns, it will not be the end of world for you, and the bike will not be useless. Just replace with decent quality parts from other vendors and bike will be great again. Not stock, but still ridable.

That motor will not be easy to replace there is nothing on the market that matches it.

It would be either rebuilt or reverse engineered to design a copy.

spinningmagnets said:
The bottoms and the sides of all the 18650's are used as a surface for cooling the cells. The pack is set up to provide high volts (355V-ish), and low amps from each cell, so they can get the max amp-hours of run time possible. As a result the pack runs fairly cool anyways.

Apparently, keeping the cells cool was a major concern for the Alta battery pack engineers.

It looks like they have a sensing circuit on every cell via the circuit board. Am I seeing this right and for what purpose is this used?

I think everyone deserves an update to this major Fiasco.

BRD which was later named Alta motors, was brought to buy out discussions with a number of folks.

Harley Davidson purchased the IP package from Alta motors and their remaining stock is being liquidated currently through auction (happened already) and on a per dealer basis.

We just got some of their bikes, hilariously fast and totally worthy of owning.

I've got 3 custom e bikes, one of which is near 72V and all 40-50A, the e bikes are just fun to get on and putz around. The Alta accelerates like a Ducati 999 and handles like a dirt bike. A Supermoto Bike that runs 60 miles on less than a dollar of electricity.

Only issue is the batteries tend to get hot like all e-bikes, I agree that the batteries could have been better designed as I am flabbergasted by their lack of knowledge in Heat transfer from (radiative, convective, and conductive sources of heat) the components of the pack (cell tops get hot as electrons transfer... who knew... ???)

It would have taken some well designed heat tubes and a passive High surface area radiator, too much cost I presume, and I imagine one would want to avoid the solvents in those heat tubes plus voltage if you got into an accident.

If you can get one from a dealer I hear the dealers will break down and take 6-6500 for them now as they are discontinued, albeit the best performance from an electric motorcycle yet.

potatonet said:
I think everyone deserves an update to this major Fiasco.

BRD which was later named Alta motors, was brought to buy out discussions with a number of folks.

Harley Davidson purchased the IP package from Alta motors and their remaining stock is being liquidated currently through auction (happened already) and on a per dealer basis.

We just got some of their bikes, hilariously fast and totally worthy of owning.

I've got 3 custom e bikes, one of which is near 72V and all 40-50A, the e bikes are just fun to get on and putz around. The Alta accelerates like a Ducati 999 and handles like a dirt bike. A Supermoto Bike that runs 60 miles on less than a dollar of electricity.

Only issue is the batteries tend to get hot like all e-bikes, I agree that the batteries could have been better designed as I am flabbergasted by their lack of knowledge in Heat transfer from (radiative, convective, and conductive sources of heat) the components of the pack (cell tops get hot as electrons transfer... who knew... ???)

It would have taken some well designed heat tubes and a passive High surface area radiator, too much cost I presume, and I imagine one would want to avoid the solvents in those heat tubes plus voltage if you got into an accident.

If you can get one from a dealer I hear the dealers will break down and take 6-6500 for them now as they are discontinued, albeit the best performance from an electric motorcycle yet.

No Zero batteries never have heat problems...
Harley Davidson didn't buy a thing from Alta.
They looked at Alta and saw they had a not so great battery and a motor and controller designed by another company and the IP of the motor and controller were NOT property of Alta so there was no tech worth buying for HD...
BRP give Alta a 2million deposit on the IP then to find Alta didn't own motor or controller tech so they asked for their money back and it was gone.. BRP took what was left which was not much and most of the employees sold things out the back door in the process.

Back