Batteries suggestion for my moped conversion

Reid451

1 µW
My first post.

I need advice on whether to get 48 volt or 36 volt lithium? How many amp hours?

I’m converting this to a hub motor and lithium: my old “ego” electric scooter, which had a belt drive, with two, 12 volt, 34 ah lead batteries. So my new set up is going to be hub motor with lithium. I weigh 150 Ibs.

I’ve now got a beefy hub motor on it, and EM3ev Infenion controller. (12 fet, 40 amp, 36 to 72 volts).

Wheels are 20”. I loved the speed and range of my old lead set up. Seemed like I could go 10 miles at 18 mph. As close to that as possible is what I want. I don’t want much slower than 18 mph, and not faster than 20 mph. Seems like my calculations show that 36 volts in theory just about reaches 18 mph. Can I count on that, or should I go to 48 volts to be safe? And how many ah? Thanks!

With the smallish wheel like that go for 48V and as many amp hours as you can fit and afford. Nothing beats having a big battery. It enables conservative charge and discharge levels, which greatly increases battery life. I take that back, having enough speed to mix safely with traffic beats range.

Post a picture of the Ego if you get a chance. I haven't seen one of those for years. I would go for 48v myself. You can always limit the speed electronically if you want.

Back