13S 110A BMS?

Hi there,

I am currently designing a 13S11P 48V battery out of LG MJ1 cells for use with a 3000 watt hub motor. MJ1 cells have a maximum continuous discharge of 10A, which means the maximum continuous discharge of the pack is 110A. However, with the motor only drawing 3000w, at 48v the maximum continuous draw would be 62.5A. I am not 100% sure, but I believe the peak power is 7500w - this would mean peak draw would be roughly 160A.

This will be controlled by a Votol EM100 controller, which at 48V is rated for 100A continuous, and peak current of 355A.

So I have two questions:

1) Which is the relevant figure for choosing the BMS? Do I need to go with the continuous discharge of the pack (110A), the maximum continuous draw of the motor (62.5A), or the peak draw of the motor (160A). I feel like it's the former but am not sure at all.

2) Can anyone recommend a BMS based on the above? Am struggling to find one that looks like it's from a reliable source.

Thanks!

skinardlasvegas1 said:
I am currently designing a 13S11P 48V battery out of LG MJ1 cells for use with a 3000 watt hub motor. MJ1 cells have a maximum continuous discharge of 10A,
Remember, that's only for a single cell, under specific laboratory conditions. (wahtever is listed on the spec sheet)

In the real world, that will heat up the cell, and inside a pack wihtout cooling, doing that continously could damage the cell, depending on the conditions. So I don't recommend coutning on the single-cell max specs for your pack ratings.

which means the maximum continuous discharge of the pack is 110A. However, with the motor only drawing 3000w, at 48v the maximum continuous draw would be 62.5A. I am not 100% sure, but I believe the peak power is 7500w - this would mean peak draw would be roughly 160A.
The motor won't draw just 3000w--that's not how they work.

3000w is just a rating the manufacturer (or seller) gave the motor, most likely as a continous limitation. Meaning, if that's what they rated it for, it could do 3000w of load all day long as long as it's able to keep spinning somewhere near 70-80% of it's unloaded speed. (if it's slowed way way down by a really high load, that same 3000w could burn up the motor).

The peak power just means that it is "rated" to handle 7500w for some short period of time; they'd have to specify the length of time for that to be a useful rating.

To really know what the motor could do, you'd need a dyno (dynamometer) plot, which generally isn't available from any manufacturer (at least in China). Sometimes they'll provide you one, but it doesn't always match up with what the motor actually is, because they may have many versions of the motor, or many similar motors, and figure "well, the one we tested when we started making motors is a motor, and this new one is a motor, so they're close enough....". Even if they're completely different motors. :/ And you don't have any way to know for sure that what they give you is really valid data for the motor you're asking about. :( (though sometimes it's obvious that it *isn't* for that one).

The amount of power it actually draws depends on the load you put on the motor (load means the force applied against the motor trying to keep it from turning; you and your bike's weight, hills or slopes, air resistance, tire resistance, headwinds, etc), and the current the controller can provide it, assuming there's no overcurrent cutoff protection (BMS) on the battery, and the battery doesn't sag in voltage so much under the load that it simply can't provide the power the motor needs. A dyno is one way to do controlled testing of that kind of thing. Building a bike around the motor is another, though unless you instrument the bike fairly heavily it's not as controlled / systematic as the dyno would be (unless you're using the bike on the dyno to do the testing).

Anyway, I strongly recommend you go to http://ebikes.ca/simulator and read the whole page, then play with various setups to see how all of this works together.

This will be controlled by a Votol EM100 controller, which at 48V is rated for 100A continuous, and peak current of 355A.
Well, you'll need three or four of these batteries in parallel to use that controller. Otherwise, whenever it draws it's peak, the BMS will shutdown to protect the cells from overcurrent, if the peak is longer than the BMS is designed for (which could be milliseconds, or much longer). Some BMS may wake back up once the load goes away; others may stay shutdown until you power cycle them, or do some other form of reset. That would suck in traffic; could even get you killed under the wrong circumstances. :(

Or else, you'd have to program the controller for much less current, so it doens't exceed what the battery is capable of.

This is why I recommend (as I did in your other thread) starting with what you want a system (bike, etc) to do, then pick a motor that can handle all of that without breathing hard, then pick a controller that can supply the demands the motor makes, and has the features you want in it (display of data, programmability, sensored/sensorless, sine/trap/foc, etc etc etc. Whatever it is that your project requires).

Then, and only then, pick a battery that can easily supply all of the power, without breathing hard, that the controller is going to demand at peak and continously, *and* has the capacity to take you as far as you want, with spare for unexpected detours, headwinds, and pack aging (which reduces teh capacity *and* the capability of a pack...and the less capable a pack is to start with, vs what you're pulling from it, the harder it is on the pack, so the faster it ages).

But...it's your project.

Many thanks for your response amberwolf.

Understood re the cell specs and the heating of the battery, however that is why (according to my understanding) I am putting in a fair amount of headroom. Your absolutely correct to point out the vast range of factors that will affect how the system works, but this information required to correctly model this just isn't available - we have to go off the ratings available as a starting point, and then test.

What you've said about needing three or four of these batteries to use the Votol controller - are you sure? My understanding was that the controller's potential was far more than I need (and would, as you say, require several batteries to get the full benefit of), but that I can program it to only supply the amount of current from the battery to the motor that the battery can handle. To quote you from the other thread I started: "Overpowered only matters if you have a size/weight restriction for the controller on the bike (becuase generally higher powered controllers are larger and heavier), and/or it's not programmable for current limits to prevent battery damage."

So if we assume that this controller is programmable for current limits, there shouldn't be a problem?

I feel like I have done things in the exact order you have specified - decided my needs (10kg battery, 40mph max speed, 60kg bike incl. battery, as high range as possible within those constraints), picked a motor that can handle that (QS v3 3000w which I have confirmed can reach 40 mph at 48v no problem), picked a controller than can supply more than enough power to that motor and can program it appropriately to prioritise range (the Votol is overkill, but well priced and receiving decent reviews) and am now picking a battery that can work with this system. My pack is rated for 110A continuous, my motor supposedly draws 62.5A continuous if I let it, which I could limit if I needed to. This means that from a ratings perspective, I've allowed for nearly 100% headroom. If you still don't think this is enough headroom, what is a standard factor of safety to apply? There must be some way of doing this without all of the information you quite rightly point out is unavailable.

This thread however is very specifically about BMS's - do you have any thoughts regarding to the specific questions, i.e.:

1) Which is the relevant A figure for choosing the BMS? Do I need to go with the continuous discharge of the pack (110A), the maximum continuous draw of the motor (62.5A), or something else?

2) Can you recommend a BMS based on the above? Am struggling to find one that looks like it's from a reliable source.

Alternatively, if I switched cells to Sony VTC6, that would increase the maximum continuous discharge rate of the pack to 240A, which at 48V would be 11.52 kW - do you think this would be enough headroom for the motor? And if so, might I pose the same question regarding choosing the BMS?

Thanks!

I've answered the last part first, because as you point out it's what the thread is for:

This thread however is very specifically about BMS's - do you have any thoughts regarding to the specific questions, i.e.:

2) Can you recommend a BMS based on the above? Am struggling to find one that looks like it's from a reliable source.
Unfortunatley I don't where to get one. I don't trust any of the cheap stuff, I've seen too many threads about packs damaged by them. Some of the "good ones" have terrible support, or none, so when something goes wrong you can toss it and go buy another (expensive) one. There's thread "Bluetooth BMS" that covers at least two of the currently popular ones.

But you can use just a *monitoring* system, and have it's alarm output shut off a contactor external to the battery, that disconnects the battery from the controller. Any BMS could be used this way, too. Just don't run the main battery wires thru the BMS, rather thru the contactor, and use the BMS FET control signals to control the contactor instead, and then you can use a 10A BMS to run a zillion amps if you like...the only catch is you have to also change the shunt in the BMS to match the new limit you want it to run at.

1) Which is the relevant A figure for choosing the BMS? Do I need to go with the continuous discharge of the pack (110A), the maximum continuous draw of the motor (62.5A), or something else?

I did answer this one, although I went on a bit so maybe you missed it. ;)

I'll try again, first with a "simple" answer about the pack current limit (the motor limit is discussed later, as it's wrong/irrelevant):

You have to pick a BMS that doesnt' allow more than what the pack itself can handle. I would rate that at 70-80% of what a cell spec sheet says.

As previously noted, that is not really what the number of cells x the max cell rating is. (even though most battery sellers will rate their packs that way, and quite a few pack builders here on ES seem to, I'm not sure they understand the issues, and I wouldn't do it. Probably everyone has a different idea on what limit to actually use).

It is what the cells could probably handle inside the pack, which you could guess at based on the cell's spec sheet data, if they give a discharge rate vs temperature chart. Assume that cells in the center will reach higher temperatures than the ones on the outside, but assume all of them will be a lot warmer (or hotter!) than the lab-tested single cell running at ambient room temperature with airflow around it.

So...if I were doing this I'd derate the cells to at most 70-80% of their max specs, when built into a pack.

If they are rated for 10A I'd tune that down to 7A, meaning a 10p pack is good for 70A continuous.

Peak currents, for a few seconds at a time, can be allowed to be higher, back up to the max the cells are actually rated for, so I'd give it a peak output of 100A. This would probably have a lot more voltage sag than the 70A.

If you want to use the cells as hard as possible, you certainly can, but their lifespan is going to be shorter than if you don't push them right to the edge (and probably over it).

There certainly are people that do this, sometiems because they keep buidling new bikes with ever greater power/etc., so they don't actually use any one build long enough to wear it out. ;)

I use my stuff for commuting and everyday riding, shopping, etc., so it has to be reliable, and last as long as possible. So I don't push stuff to the limits if I can help it (one-off experiments notwithstanding; I've broken plenty of stuff in those :oops: ).

I also don't use a BMS; I manage things manually and periodically check balance, etc., but because I'm not pushing things to their limits, things stay in balance for years just fine. I also have a battery pack that (IIRC) is rated, at the cell level, to deliver about 10 times what I continously draw, and about four times what I draw at peak right now, about twice what I could draw in some experiments I did last year.

I have a couple of packs with BMS built in. One of them has wierd problems *because* of the BMS, both in charge and discharge (mostly in charge and balance). The other seems to work fine, but (like all of them) the BMS drains the pack if it's not kept topped off regularly, and would kill the cells if just left sitting long enough.

skinardlasvegas1 said:
So if we assume that this controller is programmable for current limits, there shouldn't be a problem?
Sure; as long as it's current limit is less than what the battery can handle, it should be fine.

(sorry for restating things and forgetting what was already said; when people make multiple threads for their project, it's hard for me to keep track of what has been said and what hasn't...when it's all in one thread it's easier for me to reference).

my motor supposedly draws 62.5A continuous if I let it,
The motor doesn't draw just 62.5A. It draws whatever it needs to do the work asked of it, given a controller that allows it to and can supply that (as long as the battery doesn't sag in voltage so much trying to supply the controller that it reduces the power the controller has available too much).

If you put a high enough load on the motor, it'll draw quite a lot of current. Usually the windings are somewhere in the milliohm range. So let's just say it's 100mohm per phase, making 200mohm for a current path. Put 48v across that, and you get 240A. Two hundred forty amps. That's stall current, at zero speed, so as the motor begins spinning, it'll go down as BEMF inside the motor cancels out some input voltage. The faster it spins, the less current can be drawn, and the lower the torque the motor has. This is stuff you can see, at least indirectly, on http://ebikes.ca/simulator if you want to.

If you kept the motor from spinning, it would draw 240A until it caught on fire (which might not take very long ;) ). Not a normal condition--but an example to show you that it doesn't just draw 62.5A. And that "3000w" is just a number that has nothing to do with what the motor actually does when in use. Most of the 240A would be wasted as heat, at stall...there's some "saturation" point at which the motor can't *use* more current; dunno what point that is for this motor.

So...it's not just 62.5A. Even if it were, that current doesn't translate to what the battery has to supply.

The battery has to supply whatever teh controller pulls, whcih depends on the total *power* the motor is pulling, which again depends on the load on the motor. So if the controller is limited to 62.5A, then sure, the battery would only see that much current.

It's just not the motor that's limiting it.

This means that from a ratings perspective, I've allowed for nearly 100% headroom.
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding where you're getting the headroom, I don't see any at all...see the above for why.

Back