CRF250 Build

spkeezy

1 mW
Hi all, new to the forums

Im thinking about a crf250 build. First time bike build but not first time EV build. I converted my ride on mower to 36v using a 3kw motor and curtis controller.

I know a dirt bike is a bigger step up but i think i can handle the amount of fabrication needed. I have a CNC so i can cut aluminum thats why i think i want to stick to the 250 frame instead of the 150. I think the 150 is steel

Not great at welding so ill get it welded professionaly by a shop around me

Thanks for any advice

sounds like a great bike to convert to me, the crf150 is a steel frame but a smaller bike too, in terms of frame weight though there really isn't a massive difference between and aluminium and steel frame if that's why you're thinking aluminium..

Does anyone know what the sur ron motors are capable of? They seem easy to find and paired with the right controller could make decent power for a lighter bike

spkeezy said:
Does anyone know what the sur ron motors are capable of? They seem easy to find and paired with the right controller could make decent power for a lighter bike

IIRC ~15kw peak. Similar to the QS3000 which would make for a good trail bike build.

Hi
I think You should check Silent Enduro's Youtube channel and Facebook page.
They made alot of conversions. On their facebook there is a few motor/battery/controller lists with reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaownmicMqpccChhzibTolg/videos
https://www.facebook.com/SilentEnduro/

Look at that E-KTM !!! I love this setup. Simple hub engine "welded" inside frame. Brilliant idea. Weight distribution is normal. No building of fancy wheel sets. No cables near spinning wheels. Great idea for enduro mx electric bike.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102858

Just looked at The QS website. Looks like they have an 8kw motor for $650. I haven’t seen anything that high for that price yet

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972&start=1200#p1476453

QS is now making the 180 90H for 9000W continuous, which is the replacement for the 8000W mid-drive on their site. I doubt that you'll need that big a motor for a 250cc motorcycle unless you're trying to set the world on fire. The 138 70H 3000W motor has been shown to run well at 10kW+ with something like the Votol EM-150, and the the 180 90H can probably handle more than double that, assuming equal design and build quality, as it's 2.5x as heavy. I plan on trying both a 138 70H and a 180 120H (the 90H's bigger brother) in the near future and then I'll be sure to post a forum thread about it.

This seems like a good combo

QSMOTOR High Power 100KPH 3000W 5kw 138 70H Mid Drive Motor with Controller for Dirt Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLYF7KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9u0ZDb8CVZ2A6

thoroughbred said:
c70r said:

What happened to a few of the good posts here? Lots of information lost. Even one of the original poster's replies is gone?

Frankly I decided to withdraw my post when I realised the people in this thread have little idea what they're doing. No offence to anyone.

For example, they're talking about the 138 70H QS motor, it's a fine motor and I had one, can push 15kW out of it which is amazing for it's size and weight but at the end of the day you won't match the acceleration or power of a normal CRF250. For example the 138 70H is often being used in 80cc and 125cc dirt bike conversions.

The new bigger QS 180 90H was suggested, a great suggestion considering it can possibly do 40kW+ but has anyone even looked at the dimensions? It's 260mm wide when you include the sprocket, that's atleast 70mm more than any dirt bike can physically fit. But, at that size, weight and price point it's beaten by the motors I suggested.

There are some beastly motors but are either expensive or hard to use which is why I didn't mention them before, for example it's possible to source an Alta motor ($500-$1000), a 5kg motor capable of 35kW but requires a 300V controller (hard to source), a dangerous battery voltage to build in your garage and also spins to 14000rpm meaning you would also need a reduction gearbox.

If you're genuinely interested in the advice I had I can pm it to you.

You suggested the zero 75-5 and 7 motors but there aren’t any straight forward ways to get them

The other option was water cooled which I don’t like because then you’re adding more weight with a pump a water tank and a radiator

I’m trying to get as light as possible the more weight the more batteries you need. Which on these projects are the highest cost

c70r said:
Frankly I decided to withdraw my post when I realised the people in this thread have little idea what they're doing.
Well, removing the info that is actually useful is a great way to prevent anyone from learning. :roll:

The whole point of this place is to share information so that people who don't know what they're doing can learn and become people that *do* know what they're doing. Not everyone is going to learn from what's posted, but some will, and that's better than no one being able to.

If everyone did what you chose to do, this would be a very empty place, with nothing to share and nothing to learn from.

amberwolf said:
c70r said:
Frankly I decided to withdraw my post when I realised the people in this thread have little idea what they're doing.
Well, removing the info that is actually useful is a great way to prevent anyone from learning. :roll:

The whole point of this place is to share information so that people who don't know what they're doing can learn and become people that *do* know what they're doing. Not everyone is going to learn from what's posted, but some will, and that's better than no one being able to.

If everyone did what you chose to do, this would be a very empty place, with nothing to share and nothing to learn from.
thoroughbred said:
c70r said:

What happened to a few of the good posts here? Lots of information lost. Even one of the original poster's replies is gone?

By popular demand my original post is back I guess. It was as follows:

The hard part is finding the correct motor, controller and battery. The making of mounts wasn't personally a big deal for me, just printed them out on paper, cut cardboard, check they were right then sent them to be laser cut.

Motors:
- Zero 75-5, the ideal choice. Fairly compact and light motor capable of 35kW.
- Zero 75-7, the bigger brother. A little larger and heavier capable of 50kW. Though it's rated at 50kW peak, if your intention is race motocross (wide open throttle) then I would suggest this motor but running it at peaks of 35-40kW so you don't reach thermal throttling.
- ME1302, a water cooled motor, has been dyno'd at 40kW using a 30s system. Motenergy motors in general are poor, especially at lower voltages hence why I haven't recommended any other models. I only recommend the 1302 because of the watercooling and 40kW capability.

Controllers:
- Sevcon Gen 4
- Size 4 (around 40kW peak @28s)
- Size 6 (around 60kW peak @28s)
A great controller. Their single fault is their programming, they require an expensive proprietary cable and software license.

- Mobipus
- 72600 (50 kW peak @ 22s) - A single distributor, ballaratebikes.
- 96400 (54 kW peak @ 28s) - No longer available new, extremely rare.
Both are very good controllers which come in water cooled variants. Lack of OEM support, mostly configurable but a few things are locked away and require a time pass which is hard to get from a distributor. There are reports that buyers have had trouble getting real support from the distributor.

- ASI
- BAC8000 (32kW peak) - Two issues with this controller. One is the distribution; alot of people have issues with ERT (distributor) such as undeclared delays and lack of communication. Secondly, it is claimed and sometimes even advertised that this controller is capable of more than 32kW but is currently software capped. It has been claimed this software cap would be removed multiple times but nothing has happened yet. Anybody who has the intention of wanting more than 32kW should wait until this cap is officially removed.

I'm not going to talk about batteries right now. That's a whole chapter you shouldn't even remotely start to think about till you think you know which motor and controller you intend to run. There are plenty of solutions that can fit into a frame that size, from various builds I've seen 4-6kWh being able to fit with a 10c capability usually (essentially 40-60kW capable battery setups).

Disclaimer: The above info is correct to the best of my knowledge, some may dispute the info I've claimed but believe me, I've spent a lot of my time and in some occasions my money learning the hard way.

And finally some general advice, a lot choose to ignore this. Just because you can dump x amount of power into a motor, it doesn't mean it will output anywhere near as much. Prime example is the ME1507, a highly used motor for conversions but unfortunately alot of the specs distributors use are false, it is a lower quality replica of the 75-7, can supposedly handle 50kW thermally but I don't believe anyone has managed to output more than 40kW due to poor design and efficiency.

Sorry for the long post, as mentioned before I had to learn the hard way due to the amount of false information from distributors and users who seem to not fully understand what they are selling/using.

Thanks for bringing back your view. Points well worth considering. I am still stuck'd with a conversion due to problems scoring the correct motor and controller and have considered what you mentioned and to some degree I landed more or less on the same result you did.

A potential motor worth mentioning could be the Sur Ron dual motor. Iirc the Sur Ron standard motor have been pushed past 25 kw. Short bursts but still a lot of power. Doubling up should double the power? But I have yet to score a source for that motor.

Might not work for all conversions and a CRF250 build might require som engineering to get a great location vis a vis chain length growth etc but for those who can score such a motor I think it could be a rewarding task. Relatively light weight with enough power to keep things interesting.

Yes, thank you for reposting the information--it's useful, especially for those that don't have the experiences. :)

(I came to the thread today because I was looking for threads with useful info to reference someone else to, so they can decide if they want to build, buy, or whatever)

The only reason I haven't talked about Sur-ron is because I have minimal knowledge on them. Though I've seen an example pushed to 32kW I can't personally throw a recommendation behind it as I don't know the efficiency or reliability of pushing that motor that far.

Are you looking for 250cc MX performance or to build a bike for trails etc? Apparently the Alta guys find that 20-22kw works fine for trails and only really use the hot mapping on a track.

Under 20KW they options open up quite a bit and you could build a fairly light bike.

I've been wondering about these motors for a while and now I see prices listed for them

https://www.dhxmachines.com/hawk-.html

thoroughbred said:
I've been wondering about these motors for a while and now I see prices listed for them

https://www.dhxmachines.com/hawk-.html

A great motor but that price point kills their use though I've seen a Husqvarna conversion use a HAWK40.

But again, not trying to be a Zero fanboy but the 75-5 is 13kg and will do 40kW and is around $1000 used or $1500 new. HAWK 40 will do the same sort of power but weights 3.5Kg less for an extra $2800/$2300 if new. For that reason I did not recommend this motor earlier.

It seems like i remember seeing this motor once before. Russian translation needed

https://milandr-sm.ru/#catalog-dvigatel-kd-150-40-4

Here is the bike in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5vFwU87hS4

Here's the lineup from Parker Hannefin, no idea on prices for these but probably $$$

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Electromechanical%20Europe/Literature/192_300108_GVM_catalogue.pdf

The start of that race :shock:

The SM-250 Milandr electric motorcycle took part in the annual all-Russian motocross competition in 2019 "For the prize named after V.P. Chkalov." The race is held according to the rules of 30 minutes + 1 lap. Our motorcycle racer Kirill Gavrilov, a multiple champion and medalist of various championships, the only one in Russia to compete in this class on an electric motorcycle from the start, led the race and was in the lead for 3 laps. Due to the technical features of the electric drive, the team was forced to make 3 pit stops for additional settings and battery replacement. At the same time, out of 102 participants, Cyril eventually came 17th in the individual competition, and the team took 4th place.

Shame it required 4 pit stops in ~30 mins, be interesting to see the results with more range... not that that is is easily solved.
Still a ways for batteries to go and all.

Back