help with surron and moving to EU (France)

sn0wchyld

100 kW
Having trouble with this one - I currently have a surron registered in AUS, ie full street legal kit. From what I can tell the equivilant in france/EU is the l1E category, and where EU surrons sit, but finding out specific info on if its possible to bring my bike over and what (if any) changes/registration would be needed is proving an uphill battle.

For those who've built/had L1E bikes in France or the EU - are you able to point me in the right direction? I'm hoping that I wont have to buy one in france, as I've made some mods (mainly riding ergonomics) to my AUS bike, and im only going there for a few years so it could mean buying a bike 3 times in 3-4 years (the one I have here now, about 6m old, again one in france, then again when I get home if I sell my AUS one). Undoubtedly there'll be others on the market by then but still far from ideal vs taking my current bike with me.

sn0wchyld said:
Having trouble with this one - I currently have a surron registered in AUS, ie full street legal kit. From what I can tell the equivilant in france/EU is the l1E category, and where EU surrons sit, but finding out specific info on if its possible to bring my bike over and what (if any) changes/registration would be needed is proving an uphill battle.

For those who've built/had L1E bikes in France or the EU - are you able to point me in the right direction? I'm hoping that I wont have to buy one in france, as I've made some mods (mainly riding ergonomics) to my AUS bike, and im only going there for a few years so it could mean buying a bike 3 times in 3-4 years (the one I have here now, about 6m old, again one in france, then again when I get home if I sell my AUS one). Undoubtedly there'll be others on the market by then but still far from ideal vs taking my current bike with me.

The law of AUS is not exactly the same as in Europe. Only the L1e version of Lightbee can register in EU land.
Even if you upgrade street-legal kit,If you haven't the L1e vehicle certification, you can't legally register in France.
Where did you purchase your Light Bee? I think you can get the right direction from your dealer.

Liu said:
sn0wchyld said:

The law of AUS is not exactly the same as in Europe. Only the L1e version of Lightbee can register in EU land.
Even if you upgrade street-legal kit,If you haven't the L1e vehicle certification, you can't legally register in France.
Where did you purchase your Light Bee? I think you can get the right direction from your dealer.

purchased from the AU dealer in Australia... so doesn't sound good from what you say, even though (it appears) the bike is the same version...?

One possibility might be "moving goods" or what it might be called in English..

That at least have been a way to get cars in to Sweden that did not fit the rules.
It is when someone living in another country and moving to Sweden can take a car that they already own with them and get it registred.

Keep it registered in Oz and embark on a RTW tour, with a very long stopover in France?

Tourist card if pulled over? Another legal solution is getting the bike certified by legal 3rd party institution, like the german TÜV. They will make brake test, list drive train and you might need to get a vin number. Even crazy rebuilds and mods of vehicles are possible to get street legal this way. But the cost will for sure make you sell your bike, and buy a street legal model in France for sure. Google TÜV and get in contact with them and explain your needs and check the price. I suspect it might be a lot. But at least if street legal is important for you and you can't be bothered by building a new one this could work. Me, I would just keep my insurance and title and play the tourist card whatever might come up.

sn0wchyld said:

I am afraid I cannot give you much hope.
French authorities generally are a catastrophe.
And for immatriculation of vehicles it's even worse.
They dont even accept immatriculations from other EU countries.
When I once told a guy from the immatriculation service, that there is an EU law saying that each vehicle once immatriculated in any EU country must be accepted for immatriculation in any other EU country, he just answered: "Go and sue the French government, if you dont like our rules"

And since they switched the imatriculation procedure to "only online" some years ago, it is not even possible to discuss things with a person.
Those online requests are treated by highly incompentent persons, often not even the same person in the whole process.
No way to get a phone number or to email someone specific-contact possible only via their own website, which you can access only if you have a French social security number.
It has taken me months to get my oldtimers from Germany immatriculated there, although I had made the most important papers before, when it was still possible to go to a counter and speak with a real person face to face.

Only one example of how "qualified" those people are:
For one of my oldtimers, they wanted a "controle technique" certificate-in spite of the fact, that in France motorbikes do not have to pass those periodical technical controls (which all other vehicles have to).
(I solved this problem by abandoning the demand and just making a new demand-then the certificate wasnt asked for anymore...)

Seems better to just avoid living in that country.

I bet that is perfectly intentional :cool:

Back