Update on my Fazer 600 conversion

So, like everyone around the world, I am stuck indoors, with nowhere to go, due to the current coronavirus.

Nearly 1 year ago today, I removed all the Gen 1 (24KWH pack) cells out of my purchased fazer conversion. I bought the bike from a guy who had already converted it.

Shortly afterwards the Kelly controller failed quite catastrophically. I have since replaced the controller (twice) and have dialed in the settings so its a little bit more reliable, and a little bit slower unfortunately.

The old cells have gone into a Vectrix VX-1 (along with a few others) to give that bike a new lease of life.

With the old Gen 1 cells, this bike had a max bus voltage of 106.7 volts and a top speed of 65MPH. The range was roughly 38-45 miles depending on how you rode it. logging the charges, it turned out the bike did roughly 1 mile per AH which made it pretty easy to calculate.

Now, I am putting in 7 Gen 4 modules. (see my other post for details on this). These modules have twice the energy density, so once installed, will have a total pack capacity of 11.5KWH or roughly 105AH at a fully charged voltage of 116.2V. I am hoping this will give a range of roughly just over 100 miles!!

A big hurdle was the fact that the new modules are twice the size of the old modules. This meant finding space for the "top". Although you can fit them all in like this:

IMG20190519192914548HDR.jpg
Seems easy right?

Turns out, you cannot fit them in like this once the battery box is taking up space, as its short roughly 15mm at the top! Argh. OK. The batteries do need to be clamped and also must be in a water tight box (for obvious reasons).

After lots of mockups and fiddling, I ended up cutting the frame rail that sat near the base of the fuel tank and made up an aluminum box of its own for the 7th module. The 7th module would also be rotated so it was transverse compared to the other modules.

Whilst this method added more wiring (read losses), it was the only way I could get the additional cell in, and I did not want to loose the additional top speed the extra pack would give (and the range!)

After wiring, sealing, relocating the contactor and inserting a mid pack fuse (red box) I had something resembling the bike I took apart a year ago:

20200426122306.jpg

20200424181938.jpg
Just before main pack wiring

The previous owner had wired 2 DC to DC converters. One dc-dc would go live when the master switch was enabled. This would power the bikes 12v system. The second would go live when you hit the run switch and would power the controller.

Whilst this worked, I would prefer the vehicle to have its own 12v battery as it would simplify the wiring somewhat. It would also give me some space in the tail for faster chargers. So I removed one and kept the larger one. I then installed a very small (6ah) SLA battery in the tail by the rear lights. The main 12v system is powered by this and is charged by the DC-DC converter at 13.5v whenever the master switch is on.
This also gave me the benefit of an always on 12v sytem for things like alarms, balancing systems etc, and also stopped the trip meter resetting every time you parked the bike.

Here is a test of the charging system, a modified Huawei DC Power supply (I will do a more indepth post of this once tested at 5KW.

20200427154605.jpg
Charging at 105V/25.3 Amps, the plan is to run two in parallel for 50+ amps :)

This setup with a Kelly KLS96601-8080I will run at approx 280battery amps, which is roughly 30KW Peak. I do have a KHB that can deal with 1000Phase amps for 30 seconds and 600Phase amps continuously, that should be able to push the Enetrac 602 up to 40KW or so quite nicely :) I am running it at the moment on the consertative side to ensure it works reliably.

I am using a coloumb counter as a battery gauge and a Cycle Analyst to be able to gauge riding efficiency etc. The chinese supplied coloumb counter is pretty accurate compared to my 500,000 count Brymen.

20200426142205.jpg

Still a fair amount to do to get it fully running, but the bulk is done. I will post another update when I have more complete.

http://fotifixes.com/2020/05/01/fazer-600-electric-conversion-update/
I have the cell test data that I carried out using a logging discharge meter for both the Gen2 and Gen4 cells on my site.

Hi ,
looks a good job , and a lot of work too :thumb: , what car did the batteries come from ?

I am doing something similar with Nissan gen 1 leaf batteries.

what size and model electric motor you running ?

regards

tony

Thanks!

The batteries came from a 2016 nissan leaf with 20 miles (long story), but are basically new modules.

Its an Enertrac 602, 20KW continious water cooled motor. I think it should probably be able to take 40kw for brief periods.

More info here:

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99506

None of you pictures are showing. Try to see if you can use different image host or upload images directly to the forum. The latter might be the better way to go about it.

Thanks for the link and info on your motor. It is a similar setup to mine .The motor I am using has a 55kw peak and I have gone for a higher rated controller .Sevcon Gen 4 Size 6 , so in future when we get access to some better battery tech , it will hopefully just be a battery replacement.

will be interesting to see what range and power differences you get …

Good luck with your :thumb: , look forward to reading up on your progress.

regards

tony

I would have much rather gone with a sevcon, or something that actually puts out its rated output without blowing up.
I have a battery voltage of 116.1 when fully charged, which I think is right on the edge of the sevcons voltage range.

I have a kelly KHB12101 which can do 500 amps continuous and 1000amps peak (30sec) but these are kelly ratings so probably a fair bit less.

The KLS I have can do 400amp peak and 160 amps continuous

It should fit in the same space, might need a few tank mods. I am quote happy with the perforamance of the Gen4 leaf cells. I have done a few vectrix conversions with them as well and they have been very reliable. Gen 4's have much less sag than the older cells.

Alexanderfoti said:
I would have much rather gone with a sevcon, or something that actually puts out its rated output without blowing up.
I have a battery voltage of 116.1 when fully charged, which I think is right on the edge of the sevcons voltage range.

I have a kelly KHB12101 which can do 500 amps continuous and 1000amps peak (30sec) but these are kelly ratings so probably a fair bit less.

The KLS I have can do 400amp peak and 160 amps continuous

It should fit in the same space, might need a few tank mods. I am quote happy with the perforamance of the Gen4 leaf cells. I have done a few vectrix conversions with them as well and they have been very reliable. Gen 4's have much less sag than the older cells.

You have me thinking now that Gen 4 's batteries are the way to go. So i am trying to exchange my 14 gen1's for 14 gen 4's for starters.

I will be intrested to find out the difference in range that the get ?

i am going start with two banks of seven , to which i will probably only be able to afford 7 for starters , and then once i get some more savings , buy another 7.

96v , is the target.

look forward to your progress fella ?

regards

Tony

So those gen4 batteries come in 8s packs, but aren't they really just 2 of the 4s2p modules crammed into 1 case? I found a source of gen3 but I'm worried I won't be able to easily wire the 8s format into 20s for a 72v system.

Yes exactly that.

You may find that the controller you are using has a maximum voltage that is much higher than the 72v nominal.

You could always just not wire into one of the 4s modules but you would be carrying around a battery that you are not using.

Yermommy said:
So those gen4 batteries come in 8s packs, but aren't they really just 2 of the 4s2p modules crammed into 1 case? I found a source of gen3 but I'm worried I won't be able to easily wire the 8s format into 20s for a 72v system.

I have installed 5 Gen 4 Leaf modules in my Thundercat, cell nominal voltage is 3.65 volts so 73 volts nominal pack voltage. They are charged up to 80 volts which is roughly 80% so should not be problem for your system.
Bernel

Bernel said:
Yermommy said:

I have installed 5 Gen 4 Leaf modules in my Thundercat, cell nominal voltage is 3.65 volts so 73 volts nominal pack voltage. They are charged up to 80 volts which is roughly 80% so should not be problem for your system.
Bernel

Great to hear, I'm starting a new build this weekend and will go forward with the plans to build one similar to yours.

Back