80kw emotorcycle HUBLESS with 735 ft lbs of torque

MitchJi

10 MW
https://electrek.co/2020/05/07/verge-ts-electric-motorcycle-new-photos-tron-rmk-e2/
[/ectrek has been following the story of the Verge TS electric motorcycle since 2018, when it was just a single rough prototype of a wild new electric motorcycle. Now the Finnish company Verge Motorcycles is showing off their TS electric motorcycle in its final form ahead of anticipated production. And it is rocking the most eye-catching motor we’ve ever seen on an electric motorcycle, which is saying something.

Back when the Verge TS motorcycle was known as the RMK E2, all we had were some pretty renders showing off that innovative hubless rear wheel motor.

Yes, that’s right: The motor is hidden in the rim of that hubless rear wheel.

And it’s not a small electric motor, either, rated for 80kW (107hp). With the magnets and copper spread so far from the axis of rotation, the motor is pumping out a mind-melting 1000Nm (735 lb-ft) of torque. That also helps the bike achieve a sub-4 second 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h) time. At the top end, the bike can reach an electronically limited speed of 112 mph (180 km/h.....

verge-ts-header-studio.jpg

I still can't get over the front end being a boring normal wheel. I wouldn't expect 2 motors on the first edition but a hubless front wheel would have had a much pleasing futuristic symmetry. IDK maybe that would have been too close to the TRON cycle from the movies and hit some copywrite issues

MorbidlyObeseKoala said:
I still can't get over the front end being a boring normal wheel. I wouldn't expect 2 motors on the first edition but a hubless front wheel would have had a much pleasing futuristic symmetry. IDK maybe that would have been too close to the TRON cycle from the movies and hit some copywrite issues

The rear wheel isn't hubless in the conventional sense; it's supported on a full 360 degree bearing. So it's more like a wheel with a very large hollow axle than it is like a typical hubless design.

Given the design constraints of the motor, this particular example might or might not have major disadvantages compared to the same motor with a more ordinary axle. But hubless wheels the way they're usually done have serious weight, stiffness, serviceability, and cost shortcomings compared to regular wheels.

The gee-whiz factor won't get you far when your stuff doesn't work. That's why you can't go to a dealership and buy a hubless bike of any kind, anywhere.

Back